Photo

The first question:P

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 mtchye

mtchye
  • Validating

Posted 31 December 2002 - 08:00 PM

I just wanted to know if the tanks you guys keep your breeding catfish in have any other inhabitants? Do you keep them by themselves so that others dont eat the eggs (do most cories leave their own eggs alone??) or are there certain fish that are not so quick to predate on eggs and allow you to remove them first...

Also whats the best way to remove eggs off glass? With a razor or rolling with the fingers?

:b

#2 Guest_Alan Caboolture_*

Guest_Alan Caboolture_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2002 - 11:26 PM

Wow didn't take long for you to start picking brains! ;)
Depends what catfish, cave spawners live in colonies with dithers of sone sort, Guppies, rainbows, white clouds etc.

Corydoras are set up as species tanks when breeding. The rest of the time they live with cichlids or what ever.

A razor blade is easier with large numbers of eggs but I just use my finger nail for accidental spawns of a few eggs in a comunity tanks

Alan

#3 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 January 2003 - 12:38 AM

Most breeding tanks are cat only tanks although there hasn't been a lot of that lately, been a bit to warm I suppose.

I've had some corys that couldn't eat their eggs quick enough (although adding a load of java moss to the tank for them to spawn in seem to have greatly reduce the number of eggs they were eating) and others that don't seem to bother with the eggs at all.

And like Alan said a razor blade or finger nail works well, rolling them off also works but I've found using your nail helps dislodge them easier.

Tammy

#4 mtchye

mtchye
  • Validating

Posted 02 January 2003 - 01:24 AM

Thanks for the info guys. Do the cories actually spawn in the java moss Tammy or does it just curb them eating their eggs off the glass somehow?

#5 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 January 2003 - 03:43 AM

Hi mtchye,

They spawn in the moss.
I had the moss so it filled much of the tank so as not to be in a small clump. They think its great, when spawning they weave in and out of the moss looking for a spot (piece of moss lol) to deposited their eggs.
The only draw back can take a while to dig through and find/remove all the eggs but if you had the spare moss you could remove all the moss to put in a hatching tank (if the hatching tank/tub is big enough to hold all the moss) then replace it with a fresh load.

Tammy

#6 mtchye

mtchye
  • Validating

Posted 02 January 2003 - 06:57 AM

Wow thats interesting, I always assumed that cories would deposit their eggs on a hard surface.. This is more like egg scattering behaviour..tongue.gif

#7 ikan

ikan
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 January 2003 - 05:45 PM

Hi Tammy & others, how do you setup your breeding tank? Do you use strong current/filter. Will it work in a small tank with java moss and no gravel + tiny filter?
How many should I put in one tank?
Also between Panda, Sterbai & Juli which one will be the easiest to breed?
I like cories but never spawn them nor I see the sign of them spawning in my tank :\ :\

#8 mtchye

mtchye
  • Validating

Posted 03 January 2003 - 06:12 PM

Hi Ikan

If you haven't already, have a read of Alan's article.

Also you have picked my favourite cories also:P I particularly like the sterbai, have you seen the albino ones at vebas?

The sterbai will be my choice for a display tank with discus as they are reputed to be able to tolerate the higher temperatures. Perhaps if you are looking to get some for breeding then we can do a group buy to get them a little cheaper from somewhere.. :cheers

#9 ikan

ikan
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 January 2003 - 07:34 PM

Thanks for the info Mtchye.
I like Sterbai too. Thanks for the offer of group buying, but I am not quite ready. I'll probably get them from Vebas by swapping them with young bristlenoses. This weekend I'll probably swap some for royal whiptails.

#10 mtchye

mtchye
  • Validating

Posted 03 January 2003 - 08:04 PM

Yeah royal whiptails are nice also..
All these are breedable, which is a bonus:)

Good luck with them!

And read the rest of the articles at auscat's articles section if you haven't already.. I think Terry wrote some stuff about breeding whiptails

#11 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 January 2003 - 02:42 AM

Hi ikan,

Yep sterbai would be the pick (imo anyway) their easy to breed not fussed on temp and their also a nice little fish.
Sterbai shouldn't be to fussed about tank settings so long as the get plenty of food, water changes etc they should happily breed.
These guys here are in a 41/2ftx20"x12" high tank with gravel, drift wood, a load of plants, java fern, bolbitus, crypts, anubias etc. They deposit their eggs on just about anything unlike some other species that like to place their eggs high up on the glass and or near water flow. These guys deposit their eggs all over the place on the glass, filters, plants, but for some reason they favor the bolbitus (why I don't know).
The corys I previously mentioned with the java moss were corydoras paleatus (pepper cory), (I haven't had any probs with sterbai eating their eggs) although I would say sterbai would probable have a ball depositing their eggs in a load of java moss. lol

BTW ikan how's that cory of yours going?

Tammy

#12 mtchye

mtchye
  • Validating

Posted 04 January 2003 - 03:10 AM

How many sterbais are in that tank Tammy, and do you keep anything else with them?

#13 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 January 2003 - 05:00 AM

Hi mtchye,

Currently there are 9 adult sterbai, 4 corydoras caudimaculatus, 4 cory similis (most the similis are in another tank) and 3 female peppermints. There use to be more peppermints and less corys in there but I've since moved things around a bit, other then that the tank has been pretty much the same for the last couple of years.

Tammy

(make that 6 similis, thought there were only 4 in the tank, opps lol)

Edited by: Tammy Brisbane at: 1/5/03 11:00:49 am

#14 mtchye

mtchye
  • Validating

Posted 04 January 2003 - 05:05 AM

ic ic thanks for the info tammy, so i take it as soon as they spawn you remove the eggs so that they dont get eaten by the other tankmates?

#15 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 January 2003 - 06:12 AM

The other tank mates haven't really ever been a problem, the peppermints rarely come out of hiding the other corys don't seem to bother. There's actually 4/5 sterbai youngsters in the tank at the moment that have come about over the past 6 months which have managed to survive from egg. But yes normally if I see them spawning I will keep an eye on them and when things seem to have settled down I start collecting the eggs.

Tammy

#16 ikan

ikan
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 January 2003 - 05:51 PM

Hi Tammy,
The last batch of cories that I had they lost their barbels. Is this because the gravel in my tank is to coarse? I am in the process of building a divider in my bristlenoses tank for cory. Should I remove the gravels and just put some jave moss instead? The gravel is the standard/ordinary brownish gravel that are commonly used in LFS.

#17 Keith Deception Bay

Keith Deception Bay
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 January 2003 - 06:46 PM

Hi ikan, The loss of barbels is usually due to damage from gravel that has sharp edges which lets in fungus that eats away the barbels. For all my cory tanks I use sand or no gravel at all. If you change the substrate and treat them with a good fungicide you can stop the damage and they will repair their barbels but it takes a long time for them to grow back.

#18 Keith Deception Bay

Keith Deception Bay
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 January 2003 - 06:58 PM

Hi mtchye, I've got a collony of 12 albino sterbai at home of which 1 female has been spawning. She's spawned 4 times now and I've managed to raise some of the fry but the biggest problem is she only lays 5-10 eggs at a time so its going to take a while to get enough fry to sell.

#19 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 January 2003 - 08:26 PM

Hi ikan,

Often gravel is blamed for barbel erosion, but its not necessarily the case (just my opinion, sorry Keith).
Barbel erosion is believed to be a bacterial problem which is picked up from the bottom of the tank (be it bare or gravel).
I've had my sterbai in the same tank for the last couple of years with the same gravel as you describe (3mm brown/red gravel) and they have never had any problems with barbel erosion in this tank in fact their barbels are quite long.
Then there's the tank of similis that have only ever been in a bare or sand bottom tank (don't use sand anymore) which have had probs with barbel erosion, but the similis in with the sterbai are fine.
Their barbels can grow back but it can be a very slow process. I also tend to think some species seem to be more susceptible to barbel erosion then others, anyone of the same opinion?

Tammy

#20 Keith Deception Bay

Keith Deception Bay
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 January 2003 - 08:47 PM

Hi Tammy, I did say usually but your probably right whatever the case it is the bacteria or fungae that do all the damage. I've only had it on one occasion early on in a tank of sterbai that had a substrate of 3-4mm gravel. After removing the gravel and leaving bare tank bottom as well as treating them the barbels grew back but it took a good 6 months. As far as species susceptibility goes its hard for me to say, I've got 12 species of corys with mainly sand substrate and a few bare bottoms and I've never had another problem with any of them including the original sterbai that grew theirs back.
cheers keith.

Edited by: Keith Deception Bay at: 1/6/03 12:49:30 pm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users