Peppermints for Easter

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 April 2003 - 02:31 AM

Hi Jay,

Are these foods for both adults and young?

Tammy

#22 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 April 2003 - 03:58 PM

Hi J.T.

Sorry just read back on posts and see you have already answered that question. :o :lol

Quote:
I always like to feed them a high protein diet and have vegies on hand, to keep them growing at a steady pace.

Tammy

#23 ikan

ikan
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 April 2003 - 05:59 PM

I feed the babies tetra tabimin, spiruluna flakes, shrimp pellets, hikary sinking pellets & blood worms. The adults get the same except for tetra tabimin.
I'll try some veges for the babies. The babies growth seem slow and not all the same size. Some are not straight.

#24 Th0mas

Th0mas
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 May 2003 - 06:48 AM

Tammy and Ikan,

I'll be heading down the hardware store to grab some PVC pipes tomorrow - given my set of 6 adult peppermint has done bugger all over the last 5 years apart from getting fat, I think they'll need to loose a bit weight (especially those 4 females).

Cheers,
Th0mas.

#25 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 May 2003 - 08:03 PM

Hi Thomas,

Yeah can be a little frustrating having them for that long and no spawns. Was starting to think these guys here would never spawn.
I did have a white pvc pipe in the tank with one end capped off for some months but none of the peppermints ever went near it then I put this black pipe in the tank and by day 2 the male was in the pipe with both females hanging around outside.
Anyway all the signs were there but never did see any eggs first I knew there were a few little guys hanging on the side of the tank. So they must have spawned within the first couple of weeks of the black pipe being put in the tank.

Tammy

#26 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 May 2003 - 08:05 PM

Hi ikan,

When you say 'some are not straight' are they deformed, well I spose they are if their not straight? lol
Anyway if there are any deformed ones I would be getting rid of them or at least make sure none of them are sold off or past on to anyone else and breed from.

Tammy

#27 NeoLamp

NeoLamp
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 May 2003 - 09:46 PM

:lol @ Tammy
Quote:
I put this black pipe in the tank and by day 2 the male was in the pipe with both females hanging around outside.

:lol That`s so cool, :hat it sounds like the love shack. :good

Good work Tammy

NeoLamp

#28 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 May 2003 - 10:07 PM

Hi Neo,

:lol Thanks ;)

Just wish he would get back in there :lol he has moved back to his old cave (hollow log) which is right next door to the black pipe.
He probable got sick of me shining the torch in there. lol

Tammy

#29 Th0mas

Th0mas
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 May 2003 - 06:33 AM

Tammy,

Does it has to be black? What's the diameter?

I'm preparing a seperate tank for a trio at the moment and need to work out the diameter/length of this thing.

Alternatively, what about an upside down blue ice-cream container with a hole cut out? Would this work?

I suppose they need a bigger space to be comfortable, so an upside down container may provide them the "large cave" effect??

What do you think?

Thomas.

#30 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 May 2003 - 05:19 PM

Hi Thomas,

I suppose it depends on the fish, ikan was saying his breed in a white pvc pipe, although these guys here wouldn't go near the white pipe and it was in the tank for some months so I would say it depends of the fish them selves. The black pipe here was given the thumbs up by day 2, was surprised the colour of the pipe made that much difference (with these guys anyway). If you can locate an irrigation shop you should be able to buy a 1 meter x approx 5cm diameter length of pipe for approx $2.50 so its quite cheap. Then cut into 20cm lengths, cap/block one end off then you need to find a way to weigh the pipe down either by gluing (silicone) a piece of glass/tile etc to the outside of the pipe or sitting something heavy on the pipe once its in the tank, its up to you. Its also an idea to sand the openings of the pipe after cutting because they can be a bit rough and also sand the inside of the pipe which should hopefully help with the eggs sticking (yet to be proven). I have tried soaking the black pipe in vinegar for 24 hours but at this stage cant tell if it has made any difference. Anyway as far as the size goes they seem to prefer a spawning site just big enough to fit both of them in so it doesn't have to be very roomy.

There are probably many things that could be used to make caves for these type of fish so you could try using a ice-cream container and see what happens.

Tammy

#31 Adam Maskew

Adam Maskew
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 May 2003 - 06:52 PM

Hi guys,

I'm fairly certain black pipe that Tammy is speaking of is a polyethylene pipe. I'm surprised that you've had so much success with it. We use it in our seawater supplies because algae, sponges etc doesn't attach to it as well. Sand papering will have made a huge difference.

In terms of the standard PVC pipe (white) have you tried using the priming fluid on it. This etches it for glueing, you get a better join. It does turn the pipe a red colour. It may solve the problem of the smoothness of the pipe. The primer isn't toxic either.

Good luck.

Adam

#32 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 May 2003 - 02:52 AM

Hi Adam,

Think your right, glad to hear sanding the pipe should do the trick. Just have to wait for them to spawn again. lol

Quote:
We use it in our seawater supplies

Adam what is it you do?

Tammy

#33 Adam Maskew

Adam Maskew
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 May 2003 - 06:45 PM

Tammy,

I earn my money by working in a Pearl Oyster and Fish (Estuary Cod, Mangrove Jack, Clownfish) hatchery. Keeps me off the streets.

Adam

#34 Th0mas

Th0mas
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 May 2003 - 09:17 PM

Tammy and Ikan,

Today I came up with another idea - instead of using PVC pipings, what about using bamboo??

Bamboo cane is naturally hollow with blocked compartments. It does not come in white so hopefully these guys will like them. It's wood and can be chew by the caties, and hopefully the eggs won't have any problem sticking to the wall. With a bit of luck, I may even be able to attach some anubias on to it.

I've managed to get hold of some bamboo off-cuts at suitable size, and will be giving them a good long soak before attempting this.

Any comments?

Thomas.

#35 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 May 2003 - 02:47 AM

Hi Adam,

Sounds great :good

Tammy

#36 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 May 2003 - 02:49 AM

Hi Thomas,

There shouldn't be any problems with the eggs sticking to bamboo pipes, I've used them with Rineloricaria sp (whiptails) with no probs.

Tammy

#37 Th0mas

Th0mas
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 May 2003 - 05:51 AM

Tammy,

Have you tried it with the peppermint as well? Any result comparison with PVC pipe?

What did you use to soak the bamboo? I only picked up some off-cuts from a bamboo importer, but they says it's treated with kero. I only plan to soak it in water for a few days.

Thomas.

#38 mtchye

mtchye
  • Validating

Posted 09 May 2003 - 03:52 PM

Hi guys,

For some reason, my bamboo logs are taking ages to fully sink.. I've wedged them under limestone rocks and the normal bristlenoses did spawn in there... However, even after a few months under water, they still float up if they get out from under the rocks.. :p

Anyway has anyone else here used ceramic shells before? I go to a place called half price pottery, and they sell unglazed untreated ceramic shells in various shapes and sizes. All my bristlenoses love them, and their eggs have no problems adhering to the insides.. It also makes it real easy to flush out the babies when it is time as you just pick the whole shell up water, fish, babies and all and move em or flush them out..

might be an idea anyway :)

:cheers

Visit the:
Perth Cichlid Society Forums

#39 ikan

ikan
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 May 2003 - 05:22 PM

The young peppermints that I have they seem to grow slow, slower than the bristlenose. I feed them with hikary sinking wafer and occasinallly blood worm. What should I feed them so they grow quicker? Also many of them are not in normal shape, many are not straight. I don't know what to do with them. I don't have the gutts to cull them.

#40 Fish Guy AU

Fish Guy AU
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 May 2003 - 05:33 PM

Just found baby peppermints in breeder tank for the first time! Have found nine so far; they are so cute! ... and I thought I had all females!

For some time I have been feeding mine exclusively on Sera Flora flakes. They have never touched vege matter.

I use ceramic bristlenose breeding caves that are available at some pet stores. Have been using these for a while with my normal bristlies and I belive this is where the peppermints spawned, though they have lots of options including wood and rocks.

Cheers,
Phil.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users