Photo

"Black" Electric Yellow? *Pics added*

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#1 monobono

monobono
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:33 PM

yes yes, confused I bet, but upon noticing some fry from our Electric Yellow colony, we discoverd a pure black fish.

One would say its another breed, but the only fish we have in the tank are Electric Yellows and a couple Bristlenose.

The "black" fish has the same body shape as the other normal electric Yellows, swims with them, is the same size and came from that tank!

We have had heaps of Fry from this colony and all remain normal colours until this "mutant" came along.

I rather like the colour biggrin.gif

any idea's as to why this could occur?

I still havn't got my good camera in use so I used my mobile phone - hence the poor quality pics.

#2 SynoAngel

SynoAngel
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:34 PM

any pictures? Sounds Interesting.

Daniel

#3 alec

alec
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 July 2007 - 08:06 PM

wow 8O
sounds like an awesome fish
now i sound hypocriyical after not liking line breeding or hybrids :oops:
mabey just keep it in a display tank :wink:

#4 Mintox

Mintox
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 July 2007 - 08:08 PM

If it's as jet black as their fins, you got yourself a winner. Hopefully this gene gets passed on if you choose to breed it.

#5 fisho

fisho
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 July 2007 - 08:10 PM

looks like the 1st ever electric black tongue.gif
how interesting

#6 Managuense

Managuense
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 July 2007 - 08:45 PM

sounds very intriguing, definately keep us posted

Cheers
Kyle

#7 Terry

Terry

Life Member

• PCS Club Member

Posted 12 July 2007 - 09:32 PM

Electric yellows are yellow with a black dorsal, anything else should be culled. Would you breed from pale yellow fish because they were different?

Terry

#8 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 July 2007 - 10:43 PM

Thats the attitude Terry, so when should we all start culling all the discus, angels, oscars, gold severems, Lf Bn and livebearers out there? laugh.gif

Given what we know about natural selection if this colour proved more advantageous in the wild than being bright yellow the yellow could get possibly get phased out, I think if its attractive breed it(responsibly), provided its just a mutant colour and not a crossbreed JMO. I'd personally hate to see it get destroyed at least grow it out and see what it looks like as an adult.

#9 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 12 July 2007 - 10:54 PM

I personally don't see anything wrong in keeping this one, it sounds like a mutation so it's not a cross between species. After all, mutation is what makes living things evolve smile.gif

#10 devilman

devilman
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 July 2007 - 10:56 PM

would albino be a mutation anyhow

#11 Jester

Jester
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:05 PM

If it is breed purely with electric yellows it isn't crossbreed but a genetic mutation, completely capable of happening in the wild. Although proving this could be difficult, I recomend keeping it and growing it up to adult stages. Im 100% in agreeance with the culling of crossbreeds but this is special. Can't wait to see some pics biggrin.gif

Ben

#12 temptazn

temptazn
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:42 PM

hey mono...
AWESOME!!!!
vic

#13 Kimbo

Kimbo
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 July 2007 - 06:52 AM

You wouldnt want to go speculating that its a new "mutation" i think thats a bit far fetched at the moment without seeing some photos, it would most likely be a through back to another species that one of the yellows could have bred with before, ive read of that happening before, but hopefully if we see some pictures we might be able to work it out

#14 Terry

Terry

Life Member

• PCS Club Member

Posted 13 July 2007 - 07:25 AM

We may get lucky, real electric yellows might not recognize it so they won't breed with it. If they do breed and we start getting fish in a few years with dirty black blotches we will know where it comes from.
A few years ago I had albino Apistogramma cacatouides. I culled them.

Cheers Terry

#15 cichlid hunter

cichlid hunter
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 July 2007 - 07:40 AM

Everyone will and has a different opinion about this subject.. who can say who is right and who is wrong.

I think kimbo could be on the right track though.

If it was me personally I would add it to display tank and see what it turns into.. I wouldn't breed it.. unless could prove it was mutation but thats near impossible.

Well thats what I think..

#16 alec

alec
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:51 AM

(cichlid hunter)
If it was me personally I would add it to display tank and see what it turns into.. I wouldn't breed it...

same as what i think
biggrin.gif

#17 Noddy65

Noddy65
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 July 2007 - 10:26 AM

Black colouration in fish can also be due to disruption to the nerve supply to the cells that provide the fishes normal colour. You may be looking at a fish with generalised nerve disease?
If so it will be interesting to see if it functions normally as it gets older or turns yellow as it develops and the nerve issues resolve or heal?

Mike

#18 bladez

bladez
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:21 PM

good stuff! hurry and post up some pics! lol

Jason

#19 monobono

monobono
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:31 PM

Terry, you can relax, no one dislikes hybrids more then me. I feel that if people breed hybrids, then soon enough cichlids will all be praised by colours, and not breeds - just like "cats" today.

I don't plan on breeding this mutation, If it was a hybrid, he would be red devil food by now, but considering where this fish came from, all I am interested in is growing the fish up and seeing its adult form. It will be no more then a display fish.

Will have some pics up soon, I promise, just need to get the camera back.

Thanks for posting people biggrin.gif

#20 Tucunare

Tucunare
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:32 PM

good on ya kyol
mate if it is a yellow and you dont want it ill buy it off you, i love hybrids and mutants, oh and throwing spanners lol, no seriously good on you.
question for terry - did you disagree with andreas line breeding of the orange labs???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users