Dye And Tattooing Fish...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
49 replies to this topic

#1 Fezz

Fezz
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 June 2008 - 02:01 PM

Hey guys...

just an observation... i recently went into a local fish shop north of the river and to my surprise saw i pink kissing gourami with red dye colouring speckled over its body!

If many of you can remember there was a thread a few months ago which outlined how in China or Japan they were injecting or tattooing fish with ink to put patterns and shapes and pictures onto different fish.

I was shocked to actually see this in Australia, let along one of my local fish shops! They had recently been getting a broader range of fish such as tiger shovel noses, and giant gouramis, different plecs etc. But i hope this doesnt become too popular! I know it worked up alot of people in the past...

Catch
-Ian

Attached File  Image078.jpg   277.14KB   63 downloads

(more pics on last post also on pg 2...)

#2 Iamsam

Iamsam
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 June 2008 - 02:13 PM

theres a few around at the moment, i have seen the gouramis but i have seen some painted glass fish, but unfortuntly i think we are only going to see more of them as they become more readily availble, plus the "general" public dont realise the process involved and will buy them,so the shops are just going to bring more in.but theres not much we can do

#3 TWiST

TWiST
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 June 2008 - 03:48 PM

we should just boycott any shop that sells them
whos with me?

#4 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 06 June 2008 - 05:15 PM

We should name and shame shops who offer these for sale. It's disgusting and should not be allowed. I know the RSPCA is mostly a fairly toothless organisation but reporting this can't do any harm, maybe raise some awareness.

#5 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 June 2008 - 06:59 PM

I know the store that has these. I spoke to someone working there who tried to convince me that they were 'hybrids' thus the colour.

Pretty sucky but you get that when people interested in money and money alone get into the pet trade.

ps - there is an excellent store across the road!

#6 Elle

Elle
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:23 PM

This makes me feel so sick.
I dont understand why people do this.
In the world that we live in surely people would understand that this is not right. I dont understand were people get off manipulating a living organism so that they conform to what we as humans percieve as beautiful. Surely this can be stopped and especially in Perth.
Ideas please about what we can do about this. i dont want to believe that we cant do anything about this

sad.gif
http://www.practical...amphilophus.jpg

#7 Iamsam

Iamsam
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:38 PM

agreed the only way we can stop this cruel practise is to name shame and boycot these stores

#8 Cicolid

Cicolid
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:47 PM

This practice goes against everything the PCS stands for.

I am sure that every true hobbyist also condemns such a practice.

The PCS Committee are looking into this matter.
At the moment this is only an allegation, until proved otherwise.

Regards
Col

#9 Fish Antics

Fish Antics

Treasurer / Life Member

• Admin

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:04 PM

Firstly let us make sure it is infact a case of dye/tattoo/painted fish. In my opinion the best thing to do is for anyone who does see these type of fish at a store make a complaint to the manager...explaining the cruelty behind it. I would also suggest that if you see a shop stocking these fish please let the PCS committee know. we will approach the shop as a society. This practice should be stoped here before it gets any kind of foothold in WA.

Tony

#10 bradfitzy

bradfitzy
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 June 2008 - 11:27 PM

QUOTE (TWiST @ Jun 6 2008, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
we should just boycott any shop that sells them
whos with me?

I also visited this shop the other day and in my opinion it is dyed/ tattoo fish.
It was also a shame to see a 2.5 foot tsn in a 4-5 ft tank as well as the other tankbusters in tanks that seemed way to small for them.
I also seem to remember a complaint not so long back about some very poorly kept clown loaches at about 15 - 20 cm in the same shop.

Twist im with you and and dont plan to spend a cent at this store again esp when as Peckoltia says theres a shop across the road thats about 1 million times better.

Cheers Brad.

#11 devilman

devilman
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 June 2008 - 09:41 AM

also not to forget the two tsn's with the bent jaws for a high price!

#12 viid

viid
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 June 2008 - 09:56 AM

I know the RSPCA is mostly a fairly toothless organisation

awwww thats a little mean. They've got too many issues for one organisation and unfortunately fish aren't high on their agenda when so many farmers are still blood draining instead of shocking and backyard dog breeders are holding dogs in 1m^3 cells. They still have political sway and have a large advertising base so i'd at least give them a go and they'll help in some way. My guess would be while theres only a few in the PCS (relative to political petitions) i doubt any company or lobby group would oppose a bill to make it banned in WA. Thus its just a matter of if there is precedent legislation that overrides it. In a year or so might be able to make it illegal and as for policing after reading these forums i'm sure the police number will be off the hook if LFS ignore the law:P. I'll get behind any boycott etc but can someone pm me the store (or email ehehe) so i can see if i'd be able to tell a dyed fish from a hybrid. ta

-viid

#13 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 07 June 2008 - 10:47 AM

QUOTE (viid @ Jun 7 2008, 09:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
awwww thats a little mean. They've got too many issues for one organisation and unfortunately fish aren't high on their agenda when so many farmers are still blood draining instead of shocking and backyard dog breeders are holding dogs in 1m^3 cells.

Wasn't meant to sound mean, just an observation. Unfortunately they have a lot to deal with and I know from experience (a mate of mine reported something) that it takes several visits, investigations etc before a case is even prosecuted. And even then IF found guilty the fines are mostly laughable. But as you said they do have the means of doing awareness campaigns, ads etc. and it certainly can't hurt to get them involved.

#14 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 June 2008 - 01:08 PM

I noticed some members are tattooed as well, is that cruelty to humans?

To me it seems the biggest problem with these fish is they are most likely to attract and be purchased by amatures who arent really that interested in fish, its more or less it a bit of a temporary fad for them, which I think is a bigger problem than the tattoo itself.

Its so nice how people have their priorities right and care so much about animals, I guess thats why we live in such a beautiful, harmoniuos and peaceful world. I noticed in life and on animal rescue TV shows, when people find a sick, hungry, mentaly wrecked and homeless animal their hearts melt, some people cry, they feel sorry for it and phone an organisation to try to help it, and give it the best possible care and respect. On the other channel is the show Cops, when people find a sick, hungry, mentaly wrecked and homeless person they feel disgusted, then call the police who treat them like crap, handcuff them and then throw them in jail for some minor misdemeanor. What a great society we have.

Cheers
Den

#15 TWiST

TWiST
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 June 2008 - 01:45 PM

haha well im tattooed and i dont think it was cruel (it hurt a bit) but i decided to get it done, where as a fish has no option.

"Its so nice how people have their priorities right and care so much about animals, I guess thats why we live in such a beautiful, harmoniuos and peaceful world. I noticed in life and on animal rescue TV shows, when people find a sick, hungry, mentaly wrecked and homeless animal their hearts melt, some people cry, they feel sorry for it and phone an organisation to try to help it, and give it the best possible care and respect. On the other channel is the show Cops, when people find a sick, hungry, mentaly wrecked and homeless person they feel disgusted, then call the police who treat them like crap, handcuff them and then throw them in jail for some minor misdemeanor. What a great society we have."

its pretty messed up how are world works but it wont change unless ppl try to change it

#16 Cicolid

Cicolid
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 June 2008 - 01:56 PM

Den, you talk of people being tattooed. It is their choice. These fish have no choice whatsoever.

With regards to your other comments...sorry but that's life.

I know heaps of people ( and so do you ) that when they are sick will not go to the Doctors due to lack of time &/or money.
But if their pet dog, cat etc is sick they do not hesitate & will spend hours of their time & heaps of money to get them treated.

As I said...that's life.

Cheers
Col

#17 KrUsTy

KrUsTy
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 June 2008 - 04:45 PM

Animals deserve more care and respect in this world than people do IMO. Humans are the biggest most destructive parasites there are and taking care of a few sick animals is nothing when you look at the big picture. How many animals do we leave homeless or kill every day through loss of habitat, production animals etc. Before you ask, no im not a vegeterian tongue.gif
Justin

#18 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 07 June 2008 - 04:56 PM

QUOTE (KrUsTy @ Jun 7 2008, 04:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Animals deserve more care and respect in this world than people do IMO. Humans are the biggest most destructive parasites there are and taking care of a few sick animals is nothing when you look at the big picture. How many animals do we leave homeless or kill every day through loss of habitat, production animals etc. Before you ask, no im not a vegeterian tongue.gif
Justin

Totally agree with u KrUsTy. I often have the argument with the 'cat haters' of the world. Their usual gripe about them is the destruction of native fauna etc. Yet we (humans) were the ones to introduce them and some owners let them run free at night. The amount of natural habitats that we have cleared for housing, roads etc is also a biggie.

Dazza

#19 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 07 June 2008 - 05:16 PM

I think Den is just stirring the pot wink.gif
Here's why I think dying/tattooing fish is wrong. It's done for purely aestetic reasons, to make them appeal to people. In my opinion it makes a sad mockery of the animal. With dogs, we have a ban on cropping ears and tails for exactly the same reason. There is no benefit to the dog (in 99% of cases) and it's done purely to make the animal looks a certain way that appeals to people's idea of what it should look like.
That and the fact thet the act of tattooing is probably very painful and stressful for the fish, their skin is not like ours. I am also assuming they get taken out of the water for the procedure, so they are probably close to suffocating by the time it's done. And for what? To have "lipstick" and smileys on a fish? I find that repulsive.

#20 Ozwell

Ozwell
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 June 2008 - 05:45 PM

Hi,
Look getting back to the subject here, I remember a few years ago (ok maybe more) when LFS sold albino cories and glass fish injected with die. But what they don't say about this 'dieing prosess' is that around 50% of the fish don't make it, and those that do usually get 'flushed' by the new owner when the die wears off, and the fish becomes 'boring'. Personal I like the glass fish - a fish you can see skelleton of, COOL!!

Though I am no longer in W.A. I would hate to return to a place to find the aquarium hobby going backwards and being flushed down the drain as some fad.

Ok thanks for letting me put my two cents in.

Austin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users