49 replies to this topic

#21 Fish Antics

Fish Antics

Treasurer / Life Member

• Admin

Posted 07 June 2008 - 06:14 PM

Her is a link to an article on these fish:

Visit the Website

Hopefully we can stop this fad from taking off here.

Tony

#22 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 07 June 2008 - 09:41 PM

One good measure, is if you feel that a fish is being mistreated in any way, then let the staff there know your opinions and try to convey this also to the manager if you can (Better still if you can do it on a busy week-end), and print out some proof about what it is that they are doing wrong, for them to keep.
If the LFS or pet shop gets enough complaints from the general public, they will find this complaining as a waste of their time and feel harassed to a point where they will think twice about buying these fish again. Make them feel embarrassed!!

Naming and shaming will not be good in the long run.... they might change their attitudes or change management, so not nice having a stigma from the past. And only those viewing this forum will see this info, the general public will miss it.
Convincing them to not continue in their ways, gives them their right to choose what they should do, and that choice will be better for all in the long run.

#23 MONSTAF1SH

MONSTAF1SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 June 2008 - 10:54 PM

QUOTE (Cicolid @ Jun 7 2008, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Den, you talk of people being tattooed. It is their choice. These fish have no choice whatsoever.

With regards to your other comments...sorry but that's life.

I know heaps of people ( and so do you ) that when they are sick will not go to the Doctors due to lack of time &/or money.
But if their pet dog, cat etc is sick they do not hesitate & will spend hours of their time & heaps of money to get them treated.

As I said...that's life.

Cheers
Col

What about circumcision? They do terrible things to a babies thingy and they dont have a choice. tongue.gif

#24 TWiST

TWiST
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 June 2008 - 12:32 PM

hahahahahahaha

#25 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 June 2008 - 12:40 PM

Yes sorry just stirring a bit smile.gif I understand this practice needs to be stopped, just putting a bit of perspective on the situation.

If you see them and complain to the store, with enough applied pressure we can maybe reduce this problem in this Country. The main problem is that they will likely continue to be available on fish lists due to their popularity accross Asia and haunt us as new store owners get suckered into buying them. So they'll keep coming back from time to time to haunt us.

There are two ways I think we could eliminate this completely :

First thing would be to coordinate a national petition through all Australian fishclubs. Then with that petition you have some power to push for change, 2 options I can think of right now.

1.) Through legislative change, present it to Goverment? Not 100% sure as I've never been involved in the process of pushing for new legislation.

2.) My preffered option is once you have enough signed numbers to show you have strong support present the petition to wholesalers and retailers and ask them to sign up as well and announce that they are against this practice and will not import these fish. You could create a "Australian wholesalers and retailers against dyed fish" webpage and link it to all Australian fish club sites. We could also make a certificate for stores and wholesalers that states they are on this list that they can prouldy hang in their store. This keeps the Goverment out of it and demonstrates that Australia has responsible aquartists and fishkeeping industry.

Cheers
Den

#26 viid

viid
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 June 2008 - 01:25 PM

QUOTE (Den @ Jun 8 2008, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Australian wholesalers and retailers against dyed fish"

I'd chip in for some server space and from what i've been reading there are a few html coders amongst us.

Spoke to Steve Vanston from the RSPCA and he recommends aiming the petition through the department of fisheries. At this time Fish have no welfare rights under the WA Animal Welfare Act (The Act) so if you go down the road of legislation, in my opinion, you/we should be aiming at an amendment to The Act.

#27 Iamsam

Iamsam
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 June 2008 - 02:05 PM

ditto with the above, sounds like a great idea

#28 Fezz

Fezz
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 June 2008 - 02:13 PM

Just to update,

They now have only one left that i saw. So they have sold a few over the weekend.

Hopefully this trend doesnt continue...
Otherwise it would may be viable (on a company basis) to reorder. there were no staff around, so i couldnt ask if they had been sold or whatever. Maybe the PCS could do some inquiring on behalf of what i would say would be a great deal of hobbyists.

It is a pity as what had been mentioned, i would say if they had been purchased would be by the one off fish keeper with little knowledge of what was happening in order to achieve the unnatural colouring.

I'm all for colourful fish, BUT NATURALLY...

#29 MrKrissKross

MrKrissKross
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:08 PM

NAME AND SHAME!

#30 Fish Antics

Fish Antics

Treasurer / Life Member

• Admin

Posted 11 June 2008 - 12:02 AM

Practical fish keeping magazine started a program years ago to have these fish banned for sale in the UK. The current laws here make it nearly impossible to ban the sale of these fish in this country at the moment. However we as a club can start our own program to encourage shops and wholesalers to not support this horrible fad. The committee are working on a petition that can be signed on line, we are also looking at including other state clubs to get involved.
Will keep you updated.

Tony

#31 viid

viid
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 June 2008 - 01:29 AM

the anglers society will oppose any inclusion of fish in the WA Animal Protection Act apparently. I think Fish Antics is probably hitting a more realistic route of consolidating those stores who wont do it at all and encouraging those who do to stop off their own backs.

#32 temptazn

temptazn
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 June 2008 - 03:21 PM

Hi all

From Tony's article, the people 'tatooing' the fish claims that the fish does not feel any pain nor do they bleed in the process.

The question we need to answer is what do people define as cruel?

Is cruel something when we inflict pain? Or is it something we force onto (in this case) animals against their will?

Personally i think that what those people are doing to the poor fish is unecessary.

But, from what ive been reading here, dying your white poodle's fur pink can be considered 'cruel'. cutting their nails can be cruel. Maybe your dog didnt want to go the Million Paws Walk but they had no choice and were forced to go because their owners wanted it that way.

Haha just having a go. Relax.

Just for the record, i dont support the tattooing of fish (painful or not). Can somebody lay down the law as to what is cruel or not?

My 2c.

#33 catfish-heaven

catfish-heaven
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2008 - 04:47 AM

I know of the shop that people are speaking off, I personally have not seen the so called dye/hybrid fish but would like to say that I AM AGAINST TATTOO/DYED FISH, its an unnecessary and painful process.

Having not seen the fish I cannot comment on whether or not its a dye or natural colouration in the fish, but what i can comment on this particular store is that its a very good local store with very cheap prices and good friendly service, I have shopped around all of the local fish in Perth but being into the more and rare and exotic fish I find that not many shop stock them, and at an affordable price.

For example I bought a 30cm clown knife 5 months ago off this shop for $375 while another shop street is trying to sell the same one to me for $550 and a DEFORM GAR for $550 as well. They also sold me TWO aqua one cf1200 for $280 while most shops are selling ONLY ONE of them for the same price. It really makes me think how much a rip off some of these LFS are and how greedy they really need to be on their mark-ups. (edited PCS committee)

my 2cents

#34 Elle

Elle
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2008 - 08:19 AM

QUOTE (catfish-heaven @ Jun 13 2008, 04:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know of the shop that people are speaking off, I personally have not seen the so called dye/hybrid fish but would like to say that I AM AGAINST TATTOO/DYED FISH, its an unnecessary and painful process.

Having not seen the fish I cannot comment on whether or not its a dye or natural colouration in the fish, but what i can comment on this particular store is that its a very good local store with very cheap prices and good friendly service, I have shopped around all of the local fish in Perth but being into the more and rare and exotic fish I find that not many shop stock them, and at an affordable price.

For example I bought a 30cm clown knife 5 months ago off this shop for $375 while the shop opposite the street is trying to sell the same one to me for $550 and a DEFORM GAR for $550 as well… what a rip off. They also sold me TWO aqua one cf1200 for $280 while most shops are selling ONLY ONE of them for the same price. It really makes me think how much a rip off some of these LFS are and how greedy they really need to be on their mark-ups.

my 2cents

With Regard To this comment, I feel that it would be unfair if we were to name and shame although this seems like the easiest and most effective. In the long run we may do un nessecary damage to the reputation of a good store who as made an error in judgement. Something does need to be done though. I would love to hear the commitees ideas on this subject

#35 Cicolid

Cicolid
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:08 AM

This issue was discussed at last Tues Committee Meeting.

The PCS Committee unanimously condemn such practices.
We have also contacted many of our sponsors & they totally agree with the stand taken by the PCS.

We are currently discussing the best ways to approach this issue.

We will keep you informed of any progress.

Regards

Col

#36 2FasT-2FuriouS

2FasT-2FuriouS
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE (bradfitzy @ Jun 7 2008, 02:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also visited this shop the other day and in my opinion it is dyed/ tattoo fish.
It was also a shame to see a 2.5 foot tsn in a 4-5 ft tank as well as the other tankbusters in tanks that seemed way to small for them.
I also seem to remember a complaint not so long back about some very poorly kept clown loaches at about 15 - 20 cm in the same shop.

Twist im with you and and dont plan to spend a cent at this store again esp when as Peckoltia says theres a shop across the road thats about 1 million times better.

Cheers Brad.

I was at the shop yesterday but didn’t see any dye fish, it was pretty busy I think their always short staff or something. I spoke to one of the staff and asked him about the dye gouramis but unfortunately it was sold out so I didn’t get to see if it’s actually a dye fish or jus a hybrid. But I did see the TSN in a 5ft tank, I asked a staff member there, why a 60cm fish was keeped in a 150cm tank, his explanation to me was that he had taken the fish in unexpectedly as the customer couldn’t keep it in his 4x2x2 and was planning to dump it in the swan river, so he offered the fish in as a trade-in. he’d also ensure to me that the fish will soon be move into a bigger tank.

Off topic, I bought a very nice albino longfin bichir for only $400...cheap as chips mate

#37 morg

morg
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2008 - 04:25 PM

The RSPCA are now investigating this matter. They have received a complaint about it, from the society, or so I believe.
I have an aquaintance who is an inspector, and knowing that I am into fish, she rang me to see what I know about the subject.
I have forwarded a link to this page, along with several others. If you have any other informative links, bang them up, so they can find it here.

#38 viid

viid
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2008 - 04:57 PM

QUOTE (morg @ Jun 13 2008, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They have received a complaint about it, from the society, or so I believe.

yer lol i sent them an email and they said they were informed earlier that day hehe

#39 Fezz

Fezz
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 June 2008 - 01:19 PM

for those who didnt get to see the fish, i have some pics from my phone... i'll post them up when i get home and suss out how to do it.

And i too think they have some great pricing on fish in that particular store (note... some, others arent) but i think they made a stupid decision on getting these fish in.

#40 Fezz

Fezz
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 June 2008 - 11:38 AM

follow on pics

(note... different fish)

Attached File  Image079.jpg   391.58KB   62 downloads

and...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users