Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:07 PM

is it ok to buy/sell this fish here?

cheers
michael

#2 Cicolid

Cicolid
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 September 2008 - 08:05 AM

If you mean the Metriaclima estherae (tangerine zebra) ...then Yes, It is ok to buy/sellon this forum.

Col

#3 daci

daci
  • Banned

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:13 AM

No i mean the Tangerine Peacock! like this post below yesterday from ADMIN

tangerine peacock

I have asked on the above thread but no reply!

funny --> 72 views and one reply?

cheers
michael

#4 Cicolid

Cicolid
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 September 2008 - 12:48 PM

This is the reason we ask that members state the correct names for the species it saves so much hassle & confusion.....and posts. smile.gif

I will ask Dazza which species he was referring to.

Col

#5 daci

daci
  • Banned

Posted 25 September 2008 - 04:48 PM

i did add a reply to that particular post (i think i did anyway...may have been old age!) but its no longer there...say if i did...who would have able to remove my post? that's why i started this post to clarify...thanks Col for chasing this up for me...our family have just kept cichlids for the past 6 months...still learning though!

cheers
michael

#6 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 25 September 2008 - 06:38 PM

Gday Michael

I'm still trying to confirm the ID on the "tangerine" that I had. The closest I can find so far is Aulonocara stuartgranti (Rubescens) http://www.cichlidma...showtopic=17806 . I should've done some more homework first instead of selling the fish as what it was labelled as at the LFS. I've done some more reading on the Rubescens and now wondering if these are line bred colour strains...?

What's the fish that you're referring to as a tangerine peacock (post a link if possible)? There are a couple of hybrids such as marbled and dragon bloods that could be close.

Oh and BTW u did ask the same question in my Classifeds post but I deleted it after seeing your thread here (no point in bumping my post to the top and clogging the classifieds etc).

Dazza

#7 daci

daci
  • Banned

Posted 26 September 2008 - 12:46 AM

anyway, i took my wife and kids down to LFS and saw some tagerine peacock (as they were label - without science name) and we all love them for our display tank..! NOW...on second thought...we'll keep Tropheus instead!

Also, DAZZA...could you please let the person know when you decide to DELETE their post or reply to your post --> we're all learning here mate...bit of courtesy goes a long way!

cheers
michael

#8 Cicolid

Cicolid
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 September 2008 - 08:21 AM

QUOTE (fishmonger @ Sep 25 2008, 04:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...still learning though!

Fair goes Michael, you state that you are still learning.
Well Dazza is still learning also, he has only been Admin for a few weeks & has kindly offered to help with updating the website. smile.gif

Col

#9 sajica

sajica

Quiz Meister 2016 & 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 26 September 2008 - 03:32 PM

At the risk of being attacked due to being unable to find supportive texts to support my claim.....

It is believed that the so called Tangerine Peacock is a hybrid derived from Metriaclima estherae and a peacock of questionable origin. There has been much dispute as to which peacock was used but it's more so an irrelevance these days imo.

I think if the PCS is to ban the trade on this fish they should also ban it on marble peacocks and dragon bloods to name a few smile.gif

#10 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 September 2008 - 06:11 PM

Aulonocara sp. (Marble Peacocks AKA Marmalade cats), Are found in the lake, they are not a hybrid but more so something that just appears every so often like the albinos. That coming from Ad Konings.

#11 daci

daci
  • Banned

Posted 27 September 2008 - 01:36 AM

hi Col,

DELETING my reply/post without letting me know has got nothing to do as far as cichlids learning go!

a fair go = fair question and fair answer between two parties or more

and not

deleting when ever suit = ?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
now,

back to the topic:

i do a quite a bit of reading and found couple of good link from Sydney forum:

quote:

"The genus Aulonocara which includes the spectacular ‘peacock’ cichlids of Lake Malawi also contains some potential hybrids including the marmalade peacock. This fish was allegedly created by originally crossing an OB zebra or marmalade cat, then crossing back with the original peacock to retain the Aulonocara shape. Several ‘pink’ peacocks and a range of hybrid albino peacocks also exist."

then the forum link me to another article "Who Needs Another Hybrid? | Dr. Ronald M. Coleman, Dr. Michael K. Oliver, Dr. George J. Reclos, Francesco Zezza, Patrizia Spinelli, and Frank Panis."

quote from Dr Michael Oliver

"One artifical hybrid Malawi cichlid that is currently (alas!) becoming widespread in the hobby is the “Aulonocara Marmalade Cat,” “Aulonocara `bicolor',” or “OB peacock.” While striking in appearance, these are, I suspect, never found in the wild. They appear to be a hybrid between some anonymous “peacock” (of the “Hap” flock) and a member of the Mbuna flock; only species of the latter flock ever express “OB” genes in nature. "

Sooooo, if Ad Konings vs Dr Michael

BTW, did Ad Konnings really said that marble peakcock does appear in the lake on occasion?

cheers
michael

#12 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 September 2008 - 07:14 AM

I spoke to a guy I know in Melb who is in contact with Ad on a regular basis. I asked him to ask Ad if Marble Peacocks exist in the wild, his answer was " Yes they do, they are something that pops up from time to time, much like the Albino"

Az

#13 Cicolid

Cicolid
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 September 2008 - 07:54 AM

So Aaron, just to make things clear, do you know if they pop up now and again as individuals or as colonies ?

Col

#14 Fish Antics

Fish Antics

Treasurer / Life Member

• Admin

Posted 27 September 2008 - 08:30 AM

I have searched through a number of Ad's books and on the web and have not been able to find anything that shows Marbled peacocks as anything other than hybrids with OB zebra.

Tony

#15 daci

daci
  • Banned

Posted 27 September 2008 - 09:44 AM

i have read a lot too...so far none!

michael

#16 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 September 2008 - 11:13 AM

I can only go off what I have been told, that was passed on through the person who talks to Ad on a regular basis.

Col, I have been told they only pop up as individuals.

I can not comment myself as I have not been to the lake and dived. So I can only go on what I have been told.

Az

#17 Sazabi

Sazabi
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 September 2008 - 03:07 PM

QUOTE (fishmonger @ Sep 27 2008, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i have read a lot too...so far none!

michael

As far as I am aware, having a few of Ad's ebooks, and searching through them. There is no official documentation from Ad as to whether Marble Peacocks exist in the wild. What we have is someone of unknown expertise, of unknown credibility, on some other forum claiming he's spoken to Ad "Ad said this....." Basically hearsay.... I rather get something substantial. While it may be true that they do pop up in the wild as individuals... surely that alone would warrant documentations of this special case....

They are a lovely fish... hybird or not....

my 2cents

#18 daci

daci
  • Banned

Posted 27 September 2008 - 11:54 PM

honestly! peacocks are beautiful display tank fishes...our family would love to have them on our display tank...

peacock colours are virant rival discus any day and also have personality (ie cranky!) where as discus very slow moving fish...

michael

#19 Sazabi

Sazabi
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 September 2008 - 12:55 AM

QUOTE (fishmonger @ Sep 27 2008, 11:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
peacock colours are virant rival discus any day and also have personality (ie cranky!) where as discus very slow moving fish...

michael

Errrr.. I wouldnt go that far tongue.gif

#20 joop

joop
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 September 2008 - 10:25 AM

QUOTE (Aquatic Dreams @ Sep 26 2008, 09:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aulonocara sp. (Marble Peacocks AKA Marmalade cats), Are found in the lake, they are not a hybrid but more so something that just appears every so often like the albinos. That coming from Ad Konings.

so wen you deleted them off my forslae thread saying thier hybrids you wer wrong
or is it ok for the commitee to sell them but ''regular joes'' cant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users