Photo

Sold A Possible Mphanga Hybrid

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 smellsfishy

smellsfishy
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 July 2010 - 10:54 AM

im pretty sure they were from az's origional pair? back 2 years agoish?
heres a pic of maybe my 7th gerneration? i had like 9.
Attached File  mphanga.JPG   49.39KB   58 downloads

#22 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 July 2010 - 11:07 AM

Awesome mate! Definately "REAL" Mpanga! wink.gif

#23 Golly

Golly
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:13 PM

heres a picture of mine

just to let use all no that i was the person who sold these fish, i went with my mate to the LFS and he bought them as Elontagus mapanga and i bought these fish of him and these fish breed so much. if these fish that i sold were hybrids i am very sorry i did not do it intetionaly but from what people have been saying about what there crossed with i have none of them exept Blue Acie but i have only three females and they have never bin full and because no male.

i have pictures of the parents of these fish, and i have a few fry that i have grown up from each batch.
the fry look exactly like parents except there not as colour because have very dominant male. so if there any cross it must have to be the parents.

in my tank i have
3 female Blue acie
yellows
blues
twian reef
livingstonni
dimicomps
2 crabro
couple of peacocks
mainganoes

Attached File  P1020001.JPG   151.99KB   53 downloads female
Attached File  P1020002.JPG   131.85KB   34 downloads male
Attached File  P1020007.JPG   118.07KB   38 downloads female
Attached File  P1020013.JPG   145.4KB   35 downloads most of the fry that grown up look like this crappy camera cant pic out little colour about 5-6cm
Attached File  P1020015.JPG   147.9KB   47 downloads female
Attached File  P1020025.JPG   132.33KB   41 downloads male

im sorry if the parents are croos breed but from my nowledge there from the LFS and were sold as mapanga and all those people who thought that this was intentional im telling you that it was not.

from those fry pctures that were first posted if u look they look like my female.

i have just got back from holiday so i wasnt ignoring this.

but me personal i still dont recon there crossbreeds

cheers

#24 Ronny

Ronny
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:23 PM

The male looks ok, but the female looks pretty "iffy" to me.

It has an odd shaped head and an unusual yellow through it's body, more like a cynotilapia...

#25 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:30 PM

I agree with Ronny... when I was breeding Mpanga, none of the females had yellow "patches" on their bodies.. blink.gif
Golly, you should be commended by coming out and giving us the facts. smile.gif

#26 cichlid4lyf

cichlid4lyf
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:31 PM

yeh agreed ronny.
it sorta looks like a mbamba... or a cyno. maybe!

phil

#27 Ronny

Ronny
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:37 PM

It's a shame, that looks like a pretty good male too.

#28 keenas

keenas
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:47 PM

Here's a suggestion, how about the BAP manager going over to Golly's place to see for themselves (if thats OK with Golly). I know I have taken some bad pics of fish in the past and the colours are slightly different to what is seen by the eye. Good on you for coming foward, and when my mpHanga grow up, your more than welcome to come grab a couple if these are in fact xbreeds. I would love to post some pics of the adults, however I dont have them anymore... Just my 2 bobs worth

#29 smellsfishy

smellsfishy
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:55 PM

:0! i went to ########... and they still had 2 mpangas ( by there size id say fry of the ones i sold them) not including the one in the display.
one of those two looked normal, but the other one looked like golly's fifth photo. ########have always had aceii in stock a lot, and the mpangas i sold them where moved tanks a few times, maybe one of them breed with a aceii? and then the mother released in the tank, and some where eaten then the first batch (origional mpangas) sold? a lot of ifs and maybes, but if we are to keep them pure we need to stop all of these "hybrid mpangas" from breeding. the suspected female was the right shape but had way to much yellow in her fins and approaching the body. moses maybe you could check it out? may not be but no lose if a oscar gets a meal.

cheers.

#30 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:53 PM

Hey Golly

With the Acei how do you know they are all girls? I don't know a heap about them but AFAIK the boys look like the girls.

Daz

#31 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:59 PM

Az, the PCS will buy the hybrids off you for the price you paid at the auction (ie give you a refund). They are not what was advertised so you should not have to pay. Please contact the treasurer (Terry) to organise the refund.

#32 Sparky

Sparky
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:12 PM

I didnt think it was allowed to dis sponsors on this forum as was done in one of the above posts
maybe they were bought from this shop and have hybridised in the buyers tank, or maybe they were mistakenly sold hybrids by the shop but is it really fair to name a shop when the sellers name who sold the fish at auction was protected ?????
i think it is worth a lot more to protect a sponsor than a seller and, if it was one of a certain few sponsors they would have been better protected

#33 Golly

Golly
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:32 PM

i got given the three acie from my aunty because she owns a pet shop and she had 1m 3f acie and the male died and no one wanted to buy them so she gave em to me for free and when she gave them to me they were all full of swimmers in all three of them.

but otherwise dont no.

i still think strange how the female follows male around and male follows female around when they are two different species and they breed so often for different species. thats all i no

if anyone else has information that would be great.

cheers

#34 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:45 AM

Thank you for putting pics up. The female looks much like a Mbamba sad.gif
Hopefully we can get most of these of the market.

Tim, thank you for the offer but I don't the money back that's not what it was about, And the juvies are now part of other fish smile.gif

I was more concerned about us losing another species by not keeping the line pure.

Thanks again Golly. Much appreciated.

#35 taipan

taipan
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:09 AM

A bit off topic sorry, but I won't buy fish down here from anyone else other than Southwest Pets. Cleanest tanks, healthiest fish and best advice in the area.
Congrats to golly for coming forward, it would be great if all people were like that.

QUOTE (smellsfishy @ Jul 17 2010, 07:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
mm this pisses me off to, not necessarily private sellers but some of the pet shops down here in bunbury * i would like to name but i shall not* some just really dont know what they are talking about!(never had this with any of the sponsors or perth lfs's ive visited). for instance i was after a pleco just a common nothing special went to this particular store and they wanted $75 for a 3cm COMMON pleco! the lady that was head of the fish part also said i could keep this in a 2 foot tank long term tongue.gif... seriously sponsors open a shop down here!:) p.s none of the above includes south west pets.

#36 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:52 AM

Yes, well done Golly. It's a very brave thing to come forward like that so openly when you know there is a good chance it may hurt your reputation. I think that says a lot about you - positive things obviously!

#37 Moses

Moses
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:03 PM

Can someone fill me in on whats happened here? My name was mentioned and I can't tell why because of the editing huh.gif

#38 mattt

mattt
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:05 PM

Can you notify those who bought fry off you golly they probably have these same hybrids. I know there was more sold after the auction and perhaps even before?.

#39 Golly

Golly
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:01 PM

does anyone want a free mabamba female or trade for mapanga female

cheerrs

#40 ZOLTAN

ZOLTAN
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:08 PM

Golf claps for Golly, Champion!

0 user(s) are reading this topic