Photo

Pbass; Monoculus Spawning

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 August 2010 - 11:50 AM

My Peacock bass just started breeding recently, this is the second batch of eggs over the past few months, both batches have been infertile, I am hoping its because they are still young, I also noticed that other tank mates were causing intereference. When the first batch of eggs were laid the males were completely confused(they are still a bit young and dont know what to do yet) this second batch the 2 males showed more interest and were fighting over dominance of the female and eggs, but I dont think they fertilised the eggs.

I have removed 2 of the bass and the 2 P. splendida and now there is just the larger male and the egg laying female in the tank.

Anyway a few pics of the spawn.

Female in front with one of the males behind

2 confused males guarding the eggs, both trying to be a dad but dont know how to blow their loads yet!

Frt and side view

Cheers
Den ;D

#2 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 15 August 2010 - 03:59 PM

Great looking fish!

There must be at least 1000 eggs on that rock.

#3 gibbs

gibbs
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 August 2010 - 05:46 PM

Awesome Den, thanks for sharing

#4 Terry

Terry

Life Member

• PCS Club Member

Posted 15 August 2010 - 07:41 PM

Great pics Den, a few years ago I had 2 pairs spawn at each end of a 6 x 2 x 2 both spawns were fertile. Be patient they will get it right.

Cheers Terry

#5 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 August 2010 - 08:42 PM

Thanks guys,

The first batch of eggs was at least twice as large and she covered the entire log, lol.

Any tips appreciated, Im keeping the water at about 26-27C, Im planning to take it to about 30C in the next week or so when shes a bit more ripened.

Cheers
Den smile.gif

#6 Terry

Terry

Life Member

• PCS Club Member

Posted 15 August 2010 - 09:10 PM

Den leave the temp at 26c they don't need it any higher, remove all the fish except the monoculus. When they are free swimming remove some of the fry because most will be eaten.
Cheers Terry

#7 ruffaz

ruffaz
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 August 2010 - 09:36 PM

QUOTE (Den @ Aug 15 2010, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks guys,

The first batch of eggs was at least twice as large and she covered the entire log, lol.

Any tips appreciated, Im keeping the water at about 26-27C, Im planning to take it to about 30C in the next week or so when shes a bit more ripened.

Cheers
Den smile.gif

From my experances there are a couple of things i would look at,it will be a long with drawn episode they may take a couple of takings but you only wont to change a one thing at a time.
now you have to get inside the biology of the fish to get them to breed sucessfully.

This is my opinion and i mean my opinion a few basic steps that will get them to breed and fertilise succesfully and this comes from my experances so its not a do this and get this but what worked for me.

there is a few questerns you need answered.

1. what exact area are you strain of p.bass from. Why well the water quality actully trigers the active hormones in both fish to start breeding.
some times i had to introduce lime in to my tank to trigger the male to get to work.

2.water temp also has a part thats why i try and alternate temps through out the year, once a year i would drop the temp to 24c for a week then slowly bring it up to 28c then some times as much as 29c but i dont recomend this high unless you can monitor them al the time and i mean basicly 24/7. btw i think 27c is the perfect temp

3.is how long have you had the fish for are they all the same age or even from the same parents.

now we could argue this point all day i believe that female P.bass mature earlier than males now if they all are from the same birth it might take another year for the males to get to business as to speak, Now what i have noticed is that if the females lay eggs and nothing happens for a few lays (no pun intended) they get less active in laying and some times take months or years to do it again.

Also one more thing to consider if there is no alpha male and they both are the same status in the tank they might be not fertilising due to not knowing who the boss is so to speak if this is the case you need to remove one and put it in a holding tank and give it less feeds and give the other more, Also if this is the case more than likley they share the same teritory in the tank maybee the same log.

if ths is not the case and they have seperate terratorys in the tank remove one of the fish and remove what they associate with as theres place it in another tank for 7 days, then introduce it back into the tank now what should happen is it will look for new terratory and hopefully the new male will establish it self as the alpha.

once again this is only my opinion and based on real world results

cheers phil

#8 drukqs2369

drukqs2369
  • Banned

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:30 PM

how big is that tank... that's a really nice setup

i love pbass

do they not destroy ur fake plants ect?

#9 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:51 AM

Congrats Den.

Thay are awesome looking fish in a great setup!

#10 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:27 AM

Thanks Andrew and for the info ruffaz

how big is that tank... that's a really nice setup

i love pbass

do they not destroy ur fake plants ect?

10ftx700Wx760H

No they generally dont touch decorations.

Cheers
Den smile.gif

#11 Matty77

Matty77
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:14 PM

They are just AWESOME!...Always wanted them! if you have success in raising fry, I would be very interesed in some!!

#12 Link2Hell

Link2Hell
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 September 2010 - 01:31 PM

Great stuff Den biggrin.gif
I'm impressed with your tank everytime I see a pic of it
it suits the fish so well and they look top quality
hope your starting food production now for all the fry

keep the post updated with your progress

Chris

#13 ruffaz

ruffaz
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 October 2010 - 09:13 AM

How did you go mate

#14 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 October 2010 - 02:32 PM

I been keeping them at about 25C so they have stopped the spawning behaviour, now that they are older and bigger I plant to crank up the temp next month and try get them spawning again.

#15 TWiST

TWiST
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:00 PM

congrats man, im glad my fish went to someone who could keep the speicies going ill prolly have to grab some off ya

i miss these bass always got covered in water when i fed them

#16 ruffaz

ruffaz
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:58 PM

also try and get soft substrate so they can did into the ground when they are lava stage

#17 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 November 2010 - 02:12 PM

Thanks, I sold 2 and kept one pair including the egg laying female, no fry yet, but now that they have had time to mature I plan to spawn them again soon, looks like they will, as I crank the temp they start getting romantic.

#18 Dr_Pat

Dr_Pat
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 November 2010 - 04:24 PM

Awesome looking tank Den. Very Tasteful/well thought out.

#19 Jupz

Jupz
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 November 2010 - 05:16 PM

I love this tank, its honestly one of the best I've seen, I love PBass too, well done.

#20 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 November 2010 - 08:48 PM

I'd really love to come check them out while they are spawning!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users