Live Adult Brine Shrimp?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Mononoke

Mononoke
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:09 AM

Hi all.
Just wondering if anybody knows where somebody might find adult brine shrimp? I used to buy them at Vebas but they're longer available. I don't really have the patience to grow them myself and just need a few occasionally as a treat for my Betta.

#2 tunagirll

tunagirll
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:12 AM

I feed the frozen vitamin enhanced ones, Aquotix has them in the freezer section

#3 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:29 PM

Freshly hatched baby brine shrimp have more nutrition
Do a BBS hatchery, it's easy

#4 tunagirll

tunagirll
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:59 PM

I've done bbs without a hatchery - 5g of premix with salt in 200ml of water, in a small betta tank clipped inside the main tank.

#5 MrLeifBeaver

MrLeifBeaver
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:07 AM

Freshly hatched baby brine shrimp have more nutrition
Do a BBS hatchery, it's easy

No its not... :brickwall:  I have never had luck with hatching BBS on the 3 attempts that i did it :(

#6 deliriouz

deliriouz
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:29 AM

I has like you at the start leif...had poor to no hatch at the start..had to experiment a bit. The trick is to add more rather than less noniodised salt and get some quality eggs. Now I hatch em this daily.

#7 Mononoke

Mononoke
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:36 AM

Thanks all. I've done quite well with BBS as I used to breed apistos etc. I haven't been breeding them lately due to the cold weather... tunagirl your idea of floating the hatchery is neat, I'll give it a go. I've also frozen spirulina brine shrimp so will see if he likes it. He already gets a nice range of food, including occasional live blackworms, but thought brine shrimp would be nice to add. Anyway, you'll see him on Tuesday tunagirl. :)

Leifbeaver, I found there have been 3 things that have affected my hatch rates. 1, quality of the eggs. I try to get 90% hatch rate ones and keep them stored in the fridge. 2nd thing is heat... in cooler weather it can take up to 3 days for significant hatching, however I've also managed to overheat them on occassion which just kills them. 3. Light... 24hr light really seems to help. When using a bottle I just use one of those tiny USB LED reading lights. Hopefully you find some of that useful. :)

#8 MrLeifBeaver

MrLeifBeaver
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:20 PM

Thanks all. I've done quite well with BBS as I used to breed apistos etc. I haven't been breeding them lately due to the cold weather... tunagirl your idea of floating the hatchery is neat, I'll give it a go. I've also frozen spirulina brine shrimp so will see if he likes it. He already gets a nice range of food, including occasional live blackworms, but thought brine shrimp would be nice to add. Anyway, you'll see him on Tuesday tunagirl. :)

Leifbeaver, I found there have been 3 things that have affected my hatch rates. 1, quality of the eggs. I try to get 90% hatch rate ones and keep them stored in the fridge. 2nd thing is heat... in cooler weather it can take up to 3 days for significant hatching, however I've also managed to overheat them on occassion which just kills them. 3. Light... 24hr light really seems to help. When using a bottle I just use one of those tiny USB LED reading lights. Hopefully you find some of that useful. :)

Thanks for the pointers, I did quite a bit of research, but obviously I still couldn't get it right. I am thinking I didn't use enough salt or something. I'll try again one day :)

#9 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:34 PM

Where did you get the eggs from Leif?

#10 MrLeifBeaver

MrLeifBeaver
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:10 PM

Where did you get the eggs from Leif?

Not sure. I knew to get de-capsulated ones, that had a 90% hatch rate, but it still didn't help. I would get about 5% hatching.

Next time I do it, I will get eggs from someone on here I think, that has already had success.

#11 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:29 PM

Come over my place and grab the shrimp eggs I got left. Won't be using them any time soon and they will end up going to waste. Only condition is I ask you heaps of questions about discus.
Oh and don't bother with decapsulated eggs

#12 MrLeifBeaver

MrLeifBeaver
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:40 PM

Come over my place and grab the shrimp eggs I got left. Won't be using them any time soon and they will end up going to waste. Only condition is I ask you heaps of questions about discus.
Oh and don't bother with decapsulated eggs

Thanks for the offer, I don't need brine shrimp right now (No fish are breeding) though. And you can certainly ask me heaps of Discus questions anyway :)

Thinking out-loud again, I do need to post some more photos of my discus. I would say my biggest fish is about 16cm (Fin to fin). Big.

#13 Redevilz

Redevilz
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:27 PM

I DEMAND PICTURES!

#14 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:15 PM

No its not... :brickwall:  I have never had luck with hatching BBS on the 3 attempts that i did it :(

Dude, its easy as... Some eggies are no good so you may need to find a new dealer. First few times I tried it i had no luck. Tried a different batch and BAM! BBS everywhere! No problems since.

#15 Redevilz

Redevilz
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:11 PM

I haven't seen brine shrimp eggs for sale anywhere. Where do you buy them?

#16 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:38 PM

Aquotix or Vebas

#17 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:43 PM

I used to get mine off ebay actually.The supplier went by the rather seedy handle of; Paulines Palace, if I remember correctly.
Ebay was good for me because I was a bus catching carless dirtbag with no reasonable way of getting to a LFS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users