• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#41 Graeme

Graeme
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 August 2007 - 09:47 PM

Oops sorry mate

my mistake
Eco doesnt seem to have those problems......

I will just go out and bang my head against the bricks,might make it work better.....

Graeme

#42 ciaolong

ciaolong
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 August 2007 - 10:09 PM

haha np

i heared u might able to id these guyz ? are the shrimp the same sp ?

#43 ant747

ant747
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 August 2007 - 10:45 PM

supposedly they are, both sold under glass shrimp.
Ant

#44 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 25 August 2007 - 10:46 PM

To identify the shrimp correctly you will need to get your hands on the following from the WA Museum
http://www.museum.wa...ions/marine.asp
A guide to Wetland Invertebrates of Southwestern Australia. (1997)

If your shrimp came from over east however (NB: fresh water crustaceans are not supposed to come over the WA border) then you will have to find out from the supplier. (BTW, why are you buying from mail order sites, when there are plenty of LFS sponsors that can help you with what you want at cheaper prices - as you have noticed)

Keep in mind also there are fresh water shrimps and brackish/salt water shrimps that are very similar at a glance, but all varieties are difficult to acclimatise to warm fresh water, so a high death rate can be expected and it is not a reflection on the supplier.

You should be able to get the book from the museum directly or contact your LFS (I found my copy at Aquotix) to see if they can get it in, or maybe the PCS or the Aquarium Society may have it in their library.

Mr_docfish

#45 ant747

ant747
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 August 2007 - 11:12 PM

(Mr_docfish)
If your shrimp came from over east however (NB: fresh water crustaceans are not supposed to come over the WA border) then you will have to find out from the supplier. (BTW, why are you buying from mail order sites, when there are plenty of LFS sponsors that can help you with what you want at cheaper prices
Mr_docfish

yeah ive been hearing that alot lately, and i cant find where on the quarantine website that is says that i cant import shrimp from over east. I dont mind being proven wrong and if you can point me to the spot i would gladly accept that. But up till now i havent found anything.

Also, why would a company such as livefish ship the shrimp if it were illegal? I would think that if anyone would know the regulations on that, it would be a company that ships live fish and invertebrates all over Australia with a sound understanding of the regulations and legalities of the matter. Or the quarantine people of course. There were inspected by quarantine and passed.

I am more than willing to buy from a lfs, and a pcs sponsor, if you can find me a lfs that will sell me glass shrimp that will survive well in tropical temp water like livefish shrimp have. If you know of one, please point it out to me, because as far as i know vebas is the only fs that has shrimp instock, and they dont sell them as an ornamental shrimp either, they sell them as feeders, and these do not survive well in water above 22 temp.
Ant

#46 shewey

shewey
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 August 2007 - 10:10 AM

You are definately getting a bit of new tank syndrome. You might want to ease back on the ferts a tad...have you measured your nitrate to see if its too high? If you crank up your co2 and give the tank a couple of more weeks to settle down I am sure it will come good. Keep your water changes up too.

Some fast growers would definately be a help like Graeme said. Maybe you could float in some riccia? :-)

I like the aquascaping, looks cool.

Cheers,
Mark

#47 plantnut

plantnut
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 August 2007 - 07:23 PM

Don't mean to be a kill joy but your HC looks very much like HM -Hemianthus micranthemoides. I speak from first hand experience but Google for both and you will see a very distinct difference. Sorry

#48 Graeme

Graeme
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 August 2007 - 07:28 PM

Hi plantnut

I have seen the Hc and trust me it is.
It is soooooo small.Nothing like hm which by comparison is massive.
The HC has leaves smaller than the wood end of a match.Almost microscopic..

Graeme

#49 ciaolong

ciaolong
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 August 2007 - 07:32 PM

i never seen hm before ... except in picture so i cant tell but graeme and another 2 member do have cuttings and hopeful will able to tell better than i can i take some picture tonight with macro smile.gif

#50 Noddy65

Noddy65
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 August 2007 - 07:41 PM

Yep...Ive got both now and the HC leaves are very small compared to HM.

Mike

#51 ant747

ant747
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 August 2007 - 08:08 PM

i can second that, ive got both growing next to each other now.
Ant

#52 CraigH

CraigH
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 August 2007 - 10:39 PM

Looks like I missed out on the HC sad.gif

#53 shewey

shewey
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 August 2007 - 09:02 AM

(CraigH)
Looks like I missed out on the HC sad.gif

Ditto. Hope you guys can get it growing fast so you can pass around some more little cuttings. :-)

A question: does HC get as out of control as Glosso? My glosso is going absolutely crazy and attempting to take over the whole tank. I have given a heap of it away the last few weeks and it does not look like I have even trimmed it a few days later.

Great news that HC is out in the WA population now. Wohooo.

Cheers,
Mark.

#54 plantnut

plantnut
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 August 2007 - 09:03 AM

Then that is great. My concern is that people may be paying good money for what, on the photographic evidence I can see, looks too big to be HC - even with the ruler for comparison. I have a reasonable amount of HC from two different sources with a proven provenance and from their growth habit, in particular, it looks similar but smaller leafed, much denser, compact and low growing.
However, I accept different growing conditions will impact on growth habit and that may be the difference. At the end of the day if those growing it are happy then that is all that matters.
Please do not ask for any HC. I will only make it available when it has grown on sufficiently for my needs and I have sufficient to make it available for all. Sorry.

#55 Noddy65

Noddy65
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 August 2007 - 09:32 AM

I hope your wrong plantnut (Mike?).
Im growing my little cutting of HC in my tank with some HM so will compare the growth.
I do have some HM growing in a low light tank and the leaves are very small so hopefully this isnt HM grown in low light.

Mike

#56 ciaolong

ciaolong
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 August 2007 - 12:34 PM

here a picture of the update tank plus a scale picture of the hc as you can see the leaves are small

#57 ciaolong

ciaolong
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 August 2007 - 12:47 PM

anyway here a picture of the tank with the fish and sae and over dosing of excel its slowly getting better hopefully i get some more shrimps to help this problem

#58 ant747

ant747
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 August 2007 - 04:05 PM

(Noddy65)
I hope your wrong plantnut (Mike?).
Im growing my little cutting of HC in my tank with some HM so will compare the growth.
I do have some HM growing in a low light tank and the leaves are very small so hopefully this isnt HM grown in low light.

Mike

i am doing the same, though my tank has rather high lighting, about 1 watt per litre. I have HM in there too and thats taken off like anything, i can tell you that the cutting of HC has far smaller leaves compared to the HM. and a different shape too, HM seems a bit more blade like, and the HC is more rounded. But hey thats only so far.
(plus none of us paid for the HC from cialong)
But we are all in the same boat as far as sharing some goes, its too small to go around. But as soon as it goes off, there will be plenty for all i think.
Ant

#59 jack

jack
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 August 2007 - 04:12 PM

nice tanks

#60 denlife

denlife
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 August 2007 - 11:32 PM

Hi Ciaolong,

Just wanted to let you know that the bristlenose cats are doing great in my tank, and the HC was doing well too. Thanks for sharing some with me the other day. Tonight I gave it to another forum member (check your PMs for details) to propogate in his pristine conditions. It was hard to let it go, but he has a knack with plants.
You have shared it with some really capable aquatic growers, so I don't think there is any chance that HC will disappear from Perth this time smile.gif Thanks for being generous enough to share it around.
Your tanks are looking good. Take your time, and do it right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users