Photo

My 2008 ada comp tank (nearly done !)

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#81 ciaolong

ciaolong
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 October 2007 - 10:58 PM

*drools* tank had a huge blackout cause power tripped though but it cleared the water

#82 skittles

skittles
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 October 2007 - 01:51 PM

Hey man hope you had fun on your holiday
Youll have to buy another tank cos you cant destroy this one its an awesome scape
could you chuck a few more pics of diferent sides like the hairgrass and stuff if you dont mind
Looks sweet

#83 Leevers

Leevers
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 October 2007 - 02:09 PM

that rock would look awesome covered in riccia biggrin.gif:D

#84 ciaolong

ciaolong
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 November 2007 - 10:35 AM

here a clear picture without green

#85 ciaolong

ciaolong
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 November 2007 - 06:55 PM

ladies and gentle i intro my almost finished tank biggrin.gif

as you can see the hc has taken off and cover the bottom and even gone over some of the rocks ohmy.gif

#86 denlife

denlife
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 November 2007 - 07:04 PM

looks great now. Well done.

It could do with something else, but I can't put my finger on it right now... I'll have to get back to you on that one...

#87 ciaolong

ciaolong
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 November 2007 - 07:08 PM

pretty sure i need more fish i think .... and i need to get my white/blue background to make the green stand out more biggrin.gif

#88 kristle

kristle
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 November 2007 - 07:09 PM

looking good 8)

#89 Donna

Donna
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 November 2007 - 06:49 AM

I bought some HC on e bay. I actually used my partners log on, and bought it.......oops then I found out they don't ship to WA but they shipped to every other stupid state:cry: My partner had to do some fancy dancing with the ebay people (whoever they are) to not get a bad rating or something smile.gif Why would I care biggrin.gif I almost had it, and cheap too.......$35.00 (somewhere near)
I am not sure if I can even grow it, but I want to give it a shot.
By the by, the tank looks awesome. I love the simple lines and the use of the golden ratio. Looks marvellous. I don't know what ADA is, and have had a fish tank of my own for all of seven weeks. However, I am a photographer, and some of the same rules apply I think. I don't know about the genre of display tanks, but if you are looking for contrast, the rules are.....warm colours can take up about 5% of the composition (your fish could be the warm colours as well). Three is always the magic number, or any other fibonacci number. If you are going for even numbers, there needs to be some symmetry to make it work. Triangulating in a square or regtangular frame is very exciting as it breaks the regularity of the four sided shape in which you are working.
White and blue will not fully contrast with green.
Get yourself a colour wheel. Colours that are opposite green on the wheel are the ones that will make green stand out the most. So your fish, and any small patch of foliage that you really want to contrast should take up about 5%. There are also harmonious colours that lie next to green on the colour wheel that can be used to create depth, like yellow for example. All compositions can have three main elements. In a tank I think that would probably be colour, composition and texture (depth?) However, remembering all the time that rules are made to be broken.
Also, something else worth considering is leading lines. Humans "read" (not just print) from left to right, so your eyes will go to the left of the compostion first, and then flow on to the right. Leading lines work well when placed on the left, and lead into the "pay off" on the right which could be the focal point or that place where your 5% warm colours are. Your leading line is on the right, which means you look at the focal point first, then the leading line leads off to nowhere. This is not necessarily a bad thing. A way to test it would be to flip your pic. Also, as I said before, rules are made to be broken, and when it is done well, the impact can be breathtaking. However, some rules apply as visual perception is constant across all humanity regardless of culture and there are some things that we all find pleasing.
These are just some observations that might help.
Having rambled on and said all that, I think your tank works very well. You have used triangulation extremely well. There is something interesting and exciting on three out of the four "power places" in the composition which couldn't be better. Now, the ultimate pay off could be a fibonacci number of warm coloured fish that you could get to hang around that pointy part of your rock if you could only make them stay there biggrin.gif
Donna

#90 shortie

shortie
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 November 2007 - 08:49 AM

(ant747)
he hasnt yet, i have to drop it off tomorrow..but thats just an excuse to drool over that HC growth
Ant

i know where theres HC growing and would be selling bulk but half got killed in the greenhouse :cry:
but look out for seaview aquariums, thats where its going to be

regards matt

#91 Brett

Brett
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 November 2007 - 11:59 AM

Ciaolong, I really like your lay-out and feel that the choice of plants is very nice. I am not sure it really needs "more". I believe its apparent simplicity is one of its strengths.

Once the photo is cropped, filter tubing removed and fish trained to swim in the right place biggrin.gif , it will be an awesome scene.

Well done

Cheers

Brett

#92 mm123

mm123
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 November 2007 - 01:31 PM

filter tubing removed and fish trained to swim in the right place

train fish to swim in the right place ???? is this possible? and how is this acheived?

#93 ado

ado
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 November 2007 - 01:57 PM

train fish to swim in the right place ???

it is a process of small electric shocks, and strategically placed food rewards

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

#94 Donna

Donna
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:06 AM

biggrin.gif Trained warm colour fish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users