planted tank questions please help

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 skittles

skittles
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 August 2007 - 07:23 PM

nice tank ant will look good when it flourishes
Ive got some lights here that i found on the age of aquairiums wich is a pcs sponsor and it has a warranty links below
which one, ill be buying two if there any good or i could buy one of each
any comments please biggrin.gif
http://www.fishkeepe...l.php?ID=559752

http://www.fishkeepe...l.php?ID=559748

#22 Graeme

Graeme
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 August 2007 - 07:58 PM

Skittles,
thats the USA age of aquariums.
I dont think they sponsor PCS
better to try ( it is age of aquariums )
http://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/

I dont know if they have the lights you wanted though.

Graeme

#23 skittles

skittles
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 August 2007 - 08:04 PM

you cant be serious i was just reading an old post in technical about online stores and it said age of aquariums was a pcs sponsor in the post but i must of went to the wrong site doh

#24 skittles

skittles
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 August 2007 - 08:10 PM

Heres the link biggrin.gif
http://perthcichlid....a...opic&t=8898

#25 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 19 August 2007 - 08:34 PM

(Noddy65)
Doc is correct about T5 units up to a point. You do get what you pay for.
There is a link on Aquariumlife about the various problems with the compact globe units (not really T5 units) and some of the genuine T5 units. Most problems appear to be of certain manufacturers coming out of China. The workmanship is often (not always) terrible....
Another option if you have an exisitng hood is to buy the componant individually and get a sparky mate to wire it up for you. Ive been running T5's like that in my hoods for many years now and have had no problems at all.

Sorry noddy but there is a technicality on the PLL tubes - they are based on the T5 technology and run on similar running gear, hence why I call them Compact T5's as compared to PLC and PLS lamps (PLL lamps are basically a T5 sized tube cut in half and folded over).
T5 lamps run a lot hotter than the normal T8 Flouros. If you keep the T5 ballasts cool (as in your case) they will last longer (so building them into your hood is a great idea). One of the problems with some of the Chinese designs is they try to fit too many things into one package with very little or poor cooling.

I have seen a couple of brands that have slide-out ballasts and can be 'plugged in' to the 240Volt side (possibly no need for hard wiring), this can be handy for inserting into a hood while minimizing sparky costs. Let me know if you are interested and I'll find the brands and suppliers for you.

BTW anyone in the PCS membership that is a sparky? Maybe start a new post in the technical section to help those of us without licenses.

Mr_docfish

#26 ant747

ant747
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 August 2007 - 08:43 PM

im half a sparky, lol 2 years into apprenticeship.

#27 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 August 2007 - 08:49 PM

i am currently running t5 fluros on my reef tank, the ballasts for t5 are all electronic so less heat than the t8 ballasts, and i find the tubes run cooler.
the only thing that is better is metal hallides or mercury vapour. I made my hood up and the t5s are a great addition, very low heat output, high wattage for the length, very easy to wire up but they are electronic ballasts so i have a surge protector like i do for my computer but there has to be a con for everything, eg metal hallides/mercury vapour - HEAT.
just my experiences tongue.gif

Simon

#28 skittles

skittles
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 August 2007 - 08:23 PM

Hey ant i now know what you were talkin about aquasoil bieng amazonia im not sure if it is or not because ive been reading on some over forums about the efects of it
Hpefully its not the one i want where abouts did you get your aquasoil i was loking at one from bunnings biggrin.gif

#29 ant747

ant747
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 August 2007 - 08:25 PM

nah mine is an aquarium specialty substrate. so i got it from seaview, but its about 40 for 9.2 litres i think or something like that.
Ant

#30 skittles

skittles
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:17 AM

the stuf that i was loking at bunnings sells like hot cakes ai so i dont think its bad when i buy some ill do a review on it biggrin.gif
Pics of bit of wood i want coming tonight biggrin.gif

#31 Graeme

Graeme
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:56 AM

Hi Skittles

just a little warning.
If the substrate you are looking at in Bunnings contains a fair amount of organic matter you will be in for some ammonia problems.
This isnt a bad thing as long as you are aware.

I used a water lily compost before( contained cow manure ) and had good results.Did get massive ammonia spike but as the tank was planted and no fish it wasnt a problem.
Good luck
Graeme

#32 skittles

skittles
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 August 2007 - 03:52 PM

Hey graeme It was bieng sold as fish friendly for ponds with koi or inside aquariums but i probrably wouldnt have any fish in it for about a month or two so the plants can establish there roots or if it contains amonia also so some of my money will grow back laugh.gif
Will the amonia go after a couple of months ill be using a canister filter
Ill be hopefully buying some discus rams uarus or some aspitogrammas biggrin.gif

#33 skittles

skittles
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 August 2007 - 04:25 PM

Hey graeme are you a member of aquarium life cos ive just registered looks like a great site biggrin.gif

#34 ant747

ant747
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 August 2007 - 05:08 PM

not sure if he will mind me answering for him or not, but he is. As is shewey, noddy and and i, and a couple of others. sorry they are just the few i can remember.
Ant

#35 skittles

skittles
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 August 2007 - 07:48 PM

Hey ant it wont let me post at aquarium life do u know why this is i wanted to post in the say hello section

#36 ant747

ant747
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 August 2007 - 07:53 PM

nope sorry mate i have no idea why that would be. You need a certain amount of posts to use the classifieds, but you should be able to access the hello bit. when graheme sees this hell sort it out, hes a mod, or noddy for that matter

#37 skittles

skittles
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 August 2007 - 08:17 PM

Yeh cheers ant its been taken care of by Graeme biggrin.gif
is the 25 posts so you dont get users going on there for the classfields

#38 ant747

ant747
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 August 2007 - 08:23 PM

Yeah i would think so. But youll find it very easy to rack up 25 posts.
Ant

#39 skittles

skittles
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:24 PM

Hey guys Ive brought my aquasoil and ive chopped my bit of wood back need some advice on where to place it, ive got two places in some pics here sorry about the colour of the water its from the wood, im soaking it biggrin.gif
Also theres some pics of the aquasoil i brought theres three ten litre bags.

Hers the first pic i liked this possition best.Rocks just to hold it in position biggrin.gif

Heres the other way biggrin.gif

Waht do you guys think biggrin.gif

#40 ant747

ant747
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:35 PM

i like the second position mate, lots of room for moss and anubias, and i like the spike up through the tank, looks good.
Ant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users