Photo

C02 Tanks

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Leevers

Leevers
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 October 2007 - 05:59 AM

Today i'm very i'll due to my tonsils not wanting to agree with my immune system. This is a great oppertunity to have a day off and try and source a C02 bottle.
I'm aware that it can be quite difficult to get your own bottle, and at a cost. Many have suggested that the only real way of doing this at ease is paying a rental fee to BOC of $100 a year, and $40 per refill. This doesn't cost alot and will more than likely be what i'm doing.
The other method is something suggested to me by a mate of mine.
He uses a BBQ gas bottle and had a fridgy make up an adaptor to suit the bottle thus allowing to be filled with C02. Only one problem.... who is going to fill a BBQ gas bottle with C02? He has been in the industry for 25years and has never had a problem with this method, but at the moment i'm unable to get in contact with him as to where he gets his filled. I doubt many will want to touch it.
Another option is buying a gas bottle, and refilling at BOC via exchange, but the cost of a bottle would be greater than the yearly rental fee.

Any Suggestions?

Before anyone starts getting jumpy about the BBQ bottle idea. This is not something i intend to do and it is quite simply an option, so if you disagree with this or feel it to be unsafe, then i'd much rather you forget i said it before making a post as i'm after suggestions and critisism, and in no way intend to cause a stir or arguement.
(just thought i'd say this as i'm just after information and everyones idea's)

Thanks
Chris

#2 Nirvana

Nirvana
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 October 2007 - 07:01 AM

Rather than tell you what to do I thought it might be better to tell you what I have done;

I bought the Tunze CO2 kit with pH controller (I dont recommend the Tunze diffuser I have) which is connected to 2.5kg Dupla CO2 bottle. This was about $250 from Perth Aquarium and Display Centre and they fill the bottle for free for me but it does require filling about every 5-6 weeks. I think my 6x2x2 is the at the limit for what this setup can cope with.

I know of alot of others who have done the hire option and are lucky to require a refill annually.

With the diffuser; I would rather have bought an ADA glass diffuser (or a copy) than the Tunze diffuser where a pump pushes water against the bubbles to break them apart.

I probably use $40 in fuel driving to and from PADC in a year!!

I understand where your coming from with the BBQ bottle but you wont get BOC to fill it and I know PADC only fill bottle bought from them (probably from a large BOC bottle they hire!). People have had trouble before with bottles which arent BOC compliant.

cheers
Josh

#3 theonetruepath

theonetruepath
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 October 2007 - 12:33 PM

BOC are convenient in that they have agencies all over the place that carry stuff. This means you can probably find one relatively close to exchange cylinders. BUT you must check that they carry food-grade CO2 not just industrial (eg welding places tend to carry only the industrial)

Another option is beer places, some of them sell CO2 cylinders and will fill them. Beertech springs to mind. That's useful if you're close by. Also their cylinder prices are reasonable.

A third option is fire extinguishers: If you can find a place which refils CO2 extinguishers, you could use one of those. You might have to get it modified to take a normal reg.

I think the BBQ gas cylinder is a non-starter. Anyone caught filling one of those with CO2 would be in serious trouble. I wouldn't tell anyone who your mate is!

#4 Leevers

Leevers
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 October 2007 - 01:00 PM

ok first post was written wrong. it wasn't the BBQ bottle hw was referring to, it was a C02 Fire Extinguisher(spell Check). he has adaptors to screw onto it, and is safe to use.

BeerTech is too far for me, but i found a place in Maddington that will do 2.5kg bottles which is an ideal size for $250. then $25 refills.

upon my driving around today i also found someone who fills C02 bottles if anyone is keen.
Gas & Cylinders Australia @ 45 Catalano CCT, Canning Vale.
I took my german made sera bottle to them and their testing it to see whether it complies and will fill that one for me in the mean time.

The place in maddington is also a beer joint, and sell the same bottle beertech do, and is close by to me and makes for ease when coming in for refills.

Who would of thought it'd be such a mission just to get hold of C02 bottles of a size small enough to fit in your every day aquarium cabinet.

Ps. I hope you haven't had any trouble with your Tunze controller because they are known for failure and every place i have been to will not sell them because of their personal experience with them. In saying that, you may never have an issue, but it just seems to be one of those products that play up more than anything.

I have a Sera C02 setup including cylinder and haven't heard anything against it thus far so will see how it goes.
Dupla is far too expensive and i can't say i'd bother with it at the moment unless i had invested thousands in fish and plant stock as i'd then want to make sure i have a reliable system to maintain my levels.

Thanks guys for your ideas and thoughts. much appreciated

Cheers
Chris

#5 Nirvana

Nirvana
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 October 2007 - 05:44 AM

Gday

yeah, my Tunze diffuser has had a few issues. I find one small leaf stuck on the intake will stop the pump.

I had a Sera CO2 kit on a 4x2x2 a while ago and loved it. Just make sure you put cable ties or plastic clamps on the hose that connects the co2 to the filter outlet line. i had a small whoopsy and that is why i no longer have the 4x2x2 and the lounge room has brand new carpet.

cheers
Josh

#6 Leevers

Leevers
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 October 2007 - 07:20 AM

will keep that in mind, cheers josh

Chris

#7 Leevers

Leevers
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 October 2007 - 02:08 PM

don't you just love new staff at BOC biggrin.gif:D:D

paid $40 for the hire of my tank with it filled. no annual cost had to be paid as she never prompt me about it and no bank details were tank upon filling out paper work. of course i could always recieve it in the mail, but at this point it was never brought to my attention so at the moment, All good!

Cheers Guys

Chris

#8 jack

jack
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 October 2007 - 02:32 PM

lol biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

#9 dismatt

dismatt
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 October 2007 - 06:30 PM

hi chris trust me you will get it in the the post they charge it yearly. cheers matt

#10 Leevers

Leevers
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 October 2007 - 06:34 PM

what a way to shoot me down matt sad.gif
here i was hoping i got lucky haha

It's ok, the business can cover the tank hire tongue.gif

Cheers
Chris

#11 Jezza

Jezza
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 January 2008 - 05:39 PM

i heard back from a guy at 'U-brew-it' regarding CO2 tanks. Ths is what he sent:

Hi Jeremy,

I can supply and refill CO2 cylinders. I presume you are looking for the 6.8kg size, I have other aquarium customers. They are $360-00, supplied full, and a refill is $45-00. If you want a smaller cylinder, I have 2.3kg at $250 and $25 for a refill. I will shortly be carrying 22kg cylinders if you wish to go that big. Hope this helps.

6.8kg, thats a big tank - gonna ask for the dimensions...

#12 Jezza

Jezza
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 January 2008 - 05:45 PM

Anyone know roughly how long a 6.8kg tank would last?
i still have to work out how fast i will bubble it, but i'm guessing 1 bubble per second for about 12hrs a day...

cheers
Jeremy

#13 AvD

AvD
  • Validating

Posted 10 January 2008 - 08:13 PM

Hey Jezza
I get my tank filled up at that U-Brew-It shop. They are fantastic! They fill my bottle (although it amy be out of date and not have the Asutralian Standards nmber on the side). They fill it every time within an hour, no dramas.
As for how long it would last, I would guess at least a year. But that is not based on anything mathamatical, just working off my bottle size
Good luck with the conversion
anson
PS has anyone considered putting CO2 in a natural gas bottle, or are the pressures defferant etc? Just an idea.

#14 Jezza

Jezza
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 January 2008 - 08:36 PM

i had considered using one of my scuba tanks. They cost me $300 new and hold 12litres and handle 232atm of pressure. I looked up a conversion for CO2 and 1 litre of CO2 liquid (under tank pressure) weighs close to 1kg, so thats a 12kg tank for $300. But i highly doubt anyone would fill it - plus the conection is completely different...
I was considering a fire extinguisher, but i'm thinking i'd rather spend a bit more and do it right...

#15 sydad

sydad
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 January 2008 - 11:16 PM

Hey Jezza, You are absolutely right. Only a certified lunatic would fill a scuba tank with CO2: that is assuming that it could be done without bodgying the connections, and damaging threads in the process.

There are actually very good reasons why standards are set for cylinders and their contents. To proceed, or attempt to do so, with the idea of putting CO2 into a scuba cylinder would automatically qualify you for the Darwin award. Anyone who does not know what this is for should look it up. If you have no luck I'll explain later.

Cheers, Syd.

#16 shaggy

shaggy
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:11 PM

I use a paint ball cylinder with a micro matic reg

#17 Jezza

Jezza
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 January 2008 - 03:27 PM

how much does the paintball tank hold?
i had thought of them, but figured they'd need filling all the time.

Got the size of the 6.8kg tank:
690mm high
180mm wide max

#18 Jezza

Jezza
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 January 2008 - 03:59 PM

reply from BOC:
Jeremy,
Pricing on the D (*6kg) size tank is $30.49
Our cylinders work on a rental basis also and rental on the D size cylinder is $10.27per month or $117.03 per year.
If you would like to obtain this gas your closest store is BOC Gas & Gear Canning vale.
57-61 Baile Rd
Canning vale
If you pickup this gas from the store there is a $9.97 handling charge
All pricing quoted is EXC GST

so to get one from them would cost:
(117.03 + 30.49 + 9.97) + 10% = $173.24
and then i dont own it
from U-Brew-it will cost $360 and then it's mine
doesnt make sence to rent in my books...

#19 Leevers

Leevers
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 January 2008 - 04:43 PM

Jezza, when it's required; testing of the bottle is a high cost, and you still have to get it filled or exchanged... it works out to be easier and much more cost effective getting one from BOC. That yearly fee seems too high to me, because mine is no where near that high.

Chris

#20 Jezza

Jezza
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 January 2008 - 05:12 PM

(Leevers)
That yearly fee seems too high to me, because mine is no where near that high.

maybe the price has gone up? :?:
that is the price i got via email direct from the girl at BOC

short term i agree it is better thru BOC, but long term i'd say still better owning one. But i guess its up to everyones personal discresion... biggrin.gif Every one has a different financial situation. I just like to get a few options before i decide. 8)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users