Photo

New Tank Tomorrow And Need Advice Please

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 crazyfishylady

crazyfishylady
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:32 PM

I'll be getting another tank for my sons betta tomorrow as he's been in a 15litre bowl only since the weekend with daily water changes. Anyway I'd just like to run a few ideas by you all. I was thinking instead of getting a 50litre for the betta I could move my 70litre planted tank in his room and use that instead of buying a smaller one and get myself a bigger one probs 100litres I'm not sure depending on space. The only thing is the shrimp would stay in the 70litre with the betta and one of my bn plecs if they wont get eaten?
So question one since it is a larger tank he would be in with the shrimp could this work?

Question 2
The 2 platies, hengels rasboras, neons and the other bn plec will all go into my larger tank. My partner and I really want a pair of German blue rams so we were thinking if I upgraded could I add them? I'm limited in space so what would be an appropriate size for my planned stocking for the new tank ?-2platy female
- 1 bn plec
- 6 hengels rasbora
- 6 neon tetras
And of course the German blue ram pair

#2 crazyfishylady

crazyfishylady
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:54 PM

Oh and another thing I just read hat German blue rams prefer a temp of 26-30C and the others wouldn't do well higher han 25c. I usually keep my tank at 24c. Is this a no go on the rams then? Or would they be fine at 24?

#3 Craig

Craig
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:30 PM

26 degrees is usually a good compromise for most tropical fish.

Remember to properly cycle any new tank that you buy.

#4 Barf

Barf
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:56 PM

Q1 I would encourage a few hiding places for the shrimp if your wanting them to breed and I would suggest the betta would try to eat the shrimplets not necessarily the adults

Q2 I havent kept Blue Rams but I would think neons would be a bit of a treat for them possibly, someone who has kept them might be able to shed some light on their eating habits - I wouldn think less than 100 ltrs, but would come down to your filtaration & maintenance habits.

#5 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:21 PM

do not put shrimp in with a betta in the same tank. I guarantee that the shrimp will get slaughtered by the betta. I have had this happen right in front of me. I don't want to say that the other people are wrong, but bettas eat shrimp

#6 crazyfishylady

crazyfishylady
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:29 PM

QUOTE (Craig @ Sep 11 2012, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
26 degrees is usually a good compromise for most tropical fish.

Remember to properly cycle any new tank that you buy.

Ah well that's good I can still have them smile.gif and yes I will be sure to cycle it, I'll use some of the seeded filter media out of my cycled 70litre community hopefully that'll speed things up a bit.

#7 crazyfishylady

crazyfishylady
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:21 AM

QUOTE (Jason82 @ Sep 11 2012, 08:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
do not put shrimp in with a betta in the same tank. I guarantee that the shrimp will get slaughtered by the betta. I have had this happen right in front of me. I don't want to say that the other people are wrong, but bettas eat shrimp

eeep well that sucks ill have to scrap my ram idea then. do u think.it depends on the betra ?

#8 Furnix

Furnix
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:51 AM

Nope any betta will eat the shrimp unless u have a lot of moss and tiny holes (big enough of the shrimp but not the betta) I had a betta with shrimp in my 3 foot tank but the hole length of the front was small rocks covered in moss for the shrimp and you don't see them much as they are hiding.

#9 FishOn

FishOn
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:59 AM

Chances are, even well fed Betta will pick off shrimp.

Provide lots of hiding spots for the shrimp and some will probably survive.

#10 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:16 AM

Yep I was watching my betta squeeze through the little hole in the charcoal shrimp caves picking off the shrimp by the bucket load
It was a massacre! Poor little shrimp didn't stand a chance

#11 crazyfishylady

crazyfishylady
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:40 AM

well thats a bit dissapointing oh well ill have to put my ram dream on hold

#12 Angelo

Angelo
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:14 PM

I've kept blue rams with black neons with no issues

#13 Flash Pleco

Flash Pleco
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:47 PM

Rams are dwarf cichlids and very peaceful and shy. All of your tetras/rasboras should be safe. I've kept rams with neons, cardinals and bumblebee gobies and they didn't bother tham at all.

They do get territorial when breeding but the worst they do is chase the others away from their eggs, and then help themselves to their own eggs while protecting them, the silly duffers.

Why not move the shrimp into the larger tank so they live with the rams and little fish?

#14 Brett

Brett
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:09 PM

Why not move the shrimp into the larger tank so they live with the rams and little fish?

Blue Rams will eat shrimp

Cheers
Brett

#15 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:49 AM

maybe a good idea to get a hang on frysaver for your shrimp in the mean time.... or an internal frysaver but if your already short on tank space an external hang type is prob a better option and they usually come with a lid and an air tube to circulate water in/out of the frysaver....

#16 crazyfishylady

crazyfishylady
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:13 AM

thats an idea smile.gif. I didnt end up getting the 100litre though. I got the blueplanet classic 50litre for my sons room. The only fish in it is his betta '"Lolly" its amazing watching him enjoy all that space and not be stuck in a little container like alot of the poor little guys get put in. I was goign to add a few snails to help with the cleaning but i hsave live plants in there so dont know if thats such a good idea. I might add a school of pygmy corys or pandas? It just looks so empty and lonely in there

#17 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:51 PM

get a bristlenose
they're great little algae eaters

#18 crazyfishylady

crazyfishylady
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:32 PM

yeah i have 2 in my 70litre they are awsome. I might put the smallest of the 2 in there but i dont know if 50litres would be that good for a bn ive been told ill need to upgrade my 70litre in about 6 months when they get too big

#19 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:20 PM

just trade the b/n in at your LFS for a smaller one

#20 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:49 PM

Your bn will be fine in that size tank. Nothing to worry about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users