Killi Fan

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Fish Antics

Fish Antics

Treasurer / Life Member

• Admin

Posted 25 August 2006 - 08:49 PM

Just thought I would draw your attention to Midland Pet and Aquarium Centre. These guys have become the Killifish central. They have had some absolutly stunning fish in recently.
I now have two pairs of Aphyosemion Australe Orange and one pair of Aphyosemion Sjoestedti. These fish are small, dont require much space and are well worth a look. Now for the breeding :?

Tony.

#2 anchar

anchar
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 August 2006 - 06:31 AM

Great to hear Tony! I have never seen many varieties of these guys and have often thought about giving them a go. I have felt a little "fished out" of late and looking for a few challenges...maybe these will help fuel the interest again.

Andrea smile.gif

#3 TimPerthWA

TimPerthWA
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 August 2006 - 09:37 AM

i kept australe and couple of others a few years back when I was in Melbourne , they were really great in a small tank , from memory had to have more females that males . . excellent fish for when you are fished out . . .

#4 Fish Antics

Fish Antics

Treasurer / Life Member

• Admin

Posted 27 August 2006 - 08:33 PM

Today was a real disaster for my Killis.
:cry: my female Austale, dont know why. two were dead this morning and the third was on its side, darting to the top and jumping out of the water. The other female and two males are looking fine.
THEN! this evening when I went out to do the evening feed I found my two brand new Sjoestedti dead on the floor. Obviously jumped out from the small corner section hole in the top glass. Only small positive note was that I found a couple (2) of largish eggs from them in the breeding mop. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Tony

#5 Graeme

Graeme
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 August 2006 - 09:14 PM

Thats really bad news Tony

Good luck with those eggs mate
Graeme

#6 KillieOrCory

KillieOrCory
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 August 2006 - 09:38 AM

Sorry to hear about your killies! Killifish are keen precision jumpers :roll: They'll find the smallest hole on your cover glass and go for broke!!!

I find providing cover in the form of java fern and spawning mops as well as some floating plants reduces the frequency of jumping; though it never stops them. Also I find they tend to jump more if the water conditions are deteriorating.

For the sjo eggs I found the best way to incubate them is to put them on moist peatmoss in take away container that I float in the parents tank.

Fundulopanchax sjoestedti - not a bad looking fish hey :wink:

#7 anchar

anchar
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 August 2006 - 09:43 AM

What rotten luck Tony :cry: Ask Serkan for the link to his killi forum...there's a wealth of knowledge there.

Andrea smile.gif

#8 Fish Antics

Fish Antics

Treasurer / Life Member

• Admin

Posted 28 August 2006 - 10:42 AM

More Bad news the eggs are fungused. Will need to try again I think. Not sure about my last female Australe. She is looking a bit sad, staying near the top and not very active.
My tank is small 24x12x10 and filled with java moss to provide hiding places and breeding area plus hopefully protection for any fry. I also have a peat (Canadian) substraite and some wood.
Temp is 22 and PH is 6.2, I know from reading that this makes them more suseptable velvet etc but I wont to simulate their natural conditions.
Frustrating :roll:

Tony

#9 Dave76

Dave76

Website

• Admin

Posted 28 August 2006 - 01:34 PM

Sorry to hear about your killies Tony sad.gif

#10 Fish Antics

Fish Antics

Treasurer / Life Member

• Admin

Posted 28 August 2006 - 08:21 PM

Things are just getting worse for my killis. Today I found my last female Australe dead and one male near dead. This leaves me with only one male Australe. :cry:
From have a nice group of 2 male and 4 female Australe "Gold" and 1 pair of Sjoestedti to a solitary male Australe in 3 days Im not happy :cry:
I am thinking that the dominant male may have been responsibile as he seems to have been harrasing the other two, but there was no visable damage. I have moved him from the tank in the hope that possibily there has been some eggs laid and in the event fry may hatch some may survive. Heres hoping!!!
Anyway I will have to wait for another payday before I can get any more so hopefully I will have better luck next time. If anyone has experience with these fish and can possibily give me some much needed advice I would love to hear from you.

Tony

#11 KillieOrCory

KillieOrCory
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 August 2006 - 10:58 AM

Hi Tony,

Bad luck! It sounds like your fish were not liking something in the tank (water conditions?) or they were sick/weak to start with, since you say there is no visible damage.

I find it will take a dominant bully many weeks to kill off other killies in the tank (which rarely happens anyway) or it happens really quickly; you'll find the dead fish in a really bad shape with almost no fins etc. So if one of the others was to blame you'd have noticed it straight away.

I am more inclined to think they are not happy with the conditions! Were the tanks cycled? Killies will jump more if the conditions are not good. What is your pH? Although mine tolerate wide range of pH.

#12 Fish Antics

Fish Antics

Treasurer / Life Member

• Admin

Posted 29 August 2006 - 07:08 PM

Thanks Serkan.

I thought the tank would be perfect for them. Temp is 22 to 23 deg. Ph is 6.5 to 6.2. The Tanks has a peat substraight and is packed with java moss and some wood. The filter is a sponge style and has been going for a few months. I have moved the last male and will try again in another tank. Can I ask how you set yours up, Is a bare tank with a spawning mop a better way to go?

Tony.

#13 KillieOrCory

KillieOrCory
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 August 2006 - 09:10 AM

Hi Tony,

My tanks are more functional than good looking :wink: My basic set-up looks like this:

It is bare bottom, with a sponge filter and some java fern and spawning mops.

I think your pH is too low. Aphyosemions in general thrive in pH7 and able to do well in harder water (though harder to breed). I'd reduce the amount of peatmoss you have in there or add some shell grit in pantyhose to bring the pH up a little.

But this early on probably a bare tank with a spawning mop and a few bunches of java fern will be better until you get them breeding.

Your temp is perfect!

#14 Fish Antics

Fish Antics

Treasurer / Life Member

• Admin

Posted 30 August 2006 - 09:52 AM

Thanks Serkan

I will give them another go!

Tony

#15 anchar

anchar
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 September 2006 - 06:29 PM

For any killifishfans. Aquotix has pairs of A. gardneri for $25.00 per pair (less 10% discount for PCS financial members). They look nice too!

Andrea smile.gif

PS> Oliver is a bit of a killifish guru too with many years experience that he is happy to share with members.

#16 KillieOrCory

KillieOrCory
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 September 2006 - 10:58 AM

gardneri are great killifish to start with. I got 4 location/strains of them.

Depending on the type they can look like this:

or this

or this

I couldn't locate my other photos just now but you get the idea

:wink:

#17 Fish Antics

Fish Antics

Treasurer / Life Member

• Admin

Posted 11 September 2006 - 11:25 PM

After my disasters with my Killi's I have some good news.
I left my tank alone after the Australe all died. Today I have seen some little fry swiming around. Hopefully all is not lost biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Tony

#18 Dave76

Dave76

Website

• Admin

Posted 12 September 2006 - 08:24 AM

Great news Tony smile.gif

#19 Brett

Brett
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 October 2006 - 05:50 PM

Hey, news like that makes your heart soar