Photo

Breeding Corydoras caudimaculatus

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 September 2003 - 10:36 PM

About 2 years ago I was lucky enough to get 2m & 2f C. caudimaculatus from Alan. But only ever observing a handful of spawns that unfortunately on all occasions the eggs were infertile and I noticed one of the females was a little clumsy with her eggs, she wasn't cupping her fins properly so the eggs were just falling out. So a little discouraged I spose I just left things be.
The sterbai in the same tank were spawning often so I thought maybe if I gave it time the caudi's would sort them selves out but unfortunately never did.
Anyway recently I have been eager to see if I could get these guys spawning again but hopefully producing fertile eggs this time. So I set them up in another tank (where they are the only corys). Within 5 days they started spawning but only a few eggs here and there. A couple weeks on a total of 30 eggs with only one being fertile, which hatched this morning. They spawned again late yesterday afternoon after having a water change earlier in the day, collecting a total of 19 eggs last night. On closer inspection this morning there are 3 fertile eggs so it seems things are starting to sort them selves out, so hopefully the number of fertile eggs continue to rise.

After observing them spawn again this time round it appears the bigger of the 2 females still seems to be a little clumsy with cupping her fins so she keeps dropping the eggs. Anyone else observed this with a female cory?

Tammy

#2 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 September 2003 - 10:57 PM

Caudi's are still in spawning mode. Collecting 34 eggs last night so the number of eggs is raising but the fertile rate is still very low with only 6 of these being fertile. Can only hope the fertility rate will improve.

Tammy

#3 lotsoffish

lotsoffish
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 September 2003 - 06:12 PM

Hi Tammy

Its sounds to me you are doing well with them I had some for 2 or 3 years and didn't breed any so i sold them when i got home from delivering them i found i had mist 1 f then some time later i found 2 babys in the tank with her witch are now full size so will try again, what temp are your's breeding at?

Richard

#4 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 September 2003 - 07:03 PM

Hi Richard,

Always the way eh.

Temp has been 25-26.C

These guys have been spawning regularly since shortly after the move to their new tank. But unfortunately the fertility rate is still very low, collecting 45eggs yesterday with only 8 being fertile.

Not sure if there is anything I can do to improve fertility?

Good luck with your guys hopefully you can get them spawning soon.

Tammy

#5 lotsoffish

lotsoffish
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 September 2003 - 07:51 PM

Hi Tammy

How many males do you have? the more the better with all cory. My albino's spawned a mouth or two ago they were only about 1/2 growen at the time lost all but 2 my fault they were quite strong but the tank went off.

Richard

#6 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 October 2003 - 03:01 AM

Hi Richard,

At this stage I only have the 4, 2 males 2 females.

Tammy

#7 Ian Fuller

Ian Fuller
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 October 2003 - 03:29 AM

Hi Tammy,

Well done with the C. caudimaculatus, mine are also spawning right now, they are into their third session with a 4 - 5 week gap between each. There are 4 males and 3 females in my group, but it is only the one female that' doing the producing, so far she has laid batches of 25 - 22 and the last was a fantastic 68 All in all the fertility rate is around 80%, which pleases me because they are a species not renown for their fertility. I also concider this species to be somewhat seasonal.

Ian

#8 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 October 2003 - 04:59 AM

Thanks Ian,

I'm hoping the fertility rate will improve with these guys, its has been quite low so far, 80% would be great. :)

Tammy

#9 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 November 2003 - 02:47 AM

Caudi fry now 2 months old, some older then others.

C. caudimaculatus

Tammy

Edited by: Tammy Brisbane at: 11/28/03 6:55 pm

#10 madattiver

madattiver
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 November 2003 - 07:25 AM

wow.. excellent pics. i am trying to get my hands on some of these little cory's myself.. have been on the lookout for either these or silinis for quite some time. once i get them i know who to come to for questions on spawning them;)

#11 Pockets80

Pockets80
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 November 2003 - 11:33 PM

Lets hope gettin some true caudi's around the market will help knock off the similis/caudi market (ie the miss-marketing) I know market in melbourne is stuffed, infact speaking to a few ppl who know the 2 fish, don't think there is a true caudi down here. (all just similis misslabeled) Bit of a shame the market is so buggered, I think would make trying to sell 'true' caudi's down here very hard.

#12 Ian Fuller

Ian Fuller
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 November 2003 - 12:59 PM

Hey Tammy,

Those babies look real good, well done.

Ian

#13 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 November 2003 - 06:37 PM

Thanks guys,

Can only hope getting more caudi's out in the market it will sort out these mislabeled similis, although I can see it wont be easy.
I went into a lfs recently that had similis mislabeled so I informed them they were infact similis and not caudimaculatus but they said "they were sold to us as caudimaculatus". :rolleyes
Be interesting to see what they would do if they were sold some 'similis', surely they couldn't sell the one species under 2 different species names?? :lol

Tammy

#14 madattiver

madattiver
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 December 2003 - 07:10 AM

well i did just get my hands on some c. caudimaculatus yesterday at a local aquarium society auction.. and the good thing was they are a proven spawning colony of 2 males and 2 females. they guy i bought them from sold off 4 different spawning colonies that day and i happened to be lucky enough to grab the caudimaculatus for my collection and said they spawned for him on several occasions. now the true test.. will they spawn for me.. lol.. only time will tell...

#15 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 December 2003 - 06:58 PM

Hi mad,

Congrats, hope they start spawning soon. :good

Tammy

#16 madattiver

madattiver
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 December 2003 - 07:26 AM

thanks tammy.. i will keep u updated to see if i can get these guys to spawn for me.. probably will start conditioning them on the weekend. keeping my fingers crossed

#17 madattiver

madattiver
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 December 2003 - 07:40 AM

well after having these c. caudimaculatus for just over a week now.. i have got them to spawn yesterday.. they were spawning when i got home from work. and all it took was feeding them bloodworms a few times a day and toping off the water with about an inch of cold water.. and that was all.. the spawn was small.. only one female partook in the spawning.. yeilding only 10 eggs.. but i watched several times the t-position that came up with no egg in the females clasped fins.. that was a first.. and since the eggs were a little bigger, she only had one egg per t-position. so i saved all the eggs.. put them ina container with meth blue.. now just have to keep my fingers crossed that i can raise these little guys to adulthood. one other thing to note.. all eggs but 2 were placed in either a floating spawning mop or in java moss.. that was a first for me to see.. makes me want to make sure i have both in all my spawning tanks. and last but not least.. none of the adults in the tank ate any of the eggs.. they could care less that there were eggs there.. maybe i can keep up the feeding and try to get the other 2 females in on the action.. increase my egg count a little.

#18 madattiver

madattiver
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 December 2003 - 12:15 PM

well they are at it again.. the same male and female were spawning after 1 days rest. time for some pics for everyone..

the well known "t-position"

and yet another "t-position"

and here is the female with an egg clasped in her fins..

#19 mrseby

mrseby
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 December 2003 - 08:45 PM

these pics are so cool

man great effort !!!!

what sort of camera are u taking the pics with

cheer

keep clicking :good

#20 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 December 2003 - 10:07 PM

Hi mad,

Congrats!!

You did well getting those shots, good one :good

You'll find they will probably spawn on and of for the next few days.

Tammy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users