Posted 29 September 2009 - 05:03 PM

hey mate any updates?
hows the little fella going?

phil

#22 STEVEGREEN

STEVEGREEN
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 September 2009 - 08:14 PM

Nah Maz ( Ari ) aint hanging around the forums any more , hes too busy with his race buggies

i still catch up with Maz now and then , i know Chuck and Mark also , but i have never heard of these albino catties.

Congrates mate , by the look of his belly , you dont need to remove him.

awesome fish

Cheers
Steve Green

#23 Grado

Grado
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 September 2009 - 11:59 AM

I haven't removed him from the main tank as yet and he still seems to be doing great. He is about 4cm now. smile.gif

His belly is always full but I am still only feeding them once a day generally.

Pity Maz isn't around as he might be able to help track down other hets from that batch.

At least I hope they're hets and he's not a mutant as Cawdor suggested. unsure.gif

Cheers,
John

#24 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:35 PM

how big are your breeding pair of synos? ive got a little one of my own that id like to breed some time in the future... looking for a friend for it. Any advice on sexing?

#25 Grado

Grado
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:52 PM

Hi Ice,

They look to be about 12cm and are approx. 2-3 years old. The male has a small pointy part in front of the anal fin and the female has a rounded part.

The little albino is doing well and is about 5cm now, he doesn't seem to be growing as quickly as his bro. I will get more pics up soon but he dislikes the flash and tries to avoid me! cool.gif

Cheers,
John

#26 Grado

Grado
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 November 2009 - 11:29 AM

Hi,

Last night one of my acei spat out some multis into the community tank and this morning I found 3 fry getting harassed and quickly moved them to a fry saver (I'm not sure if any others are in the tank yet). They are all normal coloured... I don't know whether any albinos were spawned in this batch and were already eaten but I'm now starting to think maybe the albino I have is a one off.

BTW the albino is going well and is 6cm now, he has a couple of light browny spots starting to become a bit more noticeable but is still generally white. I will post some more pics soon.

Cheers,
John

#27 scottyhooton

scottyhooton
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:50 PM

i have a couple of nice cuckoo's bro , bt i barly see them coz they share a nice hidden cave in the deep with a few malawi , how'd you get em to breed

#28 Grado

Grado
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 November 2009 - 03:11 PM

Hi Scotty,

Pure luck!

I knew I had a male and a female but wasn't expecting them to breed... I'd read that you usually have a few males and one female to mob the the cichlids while they are spawning.

When I first got them they hid a lot like yours do but after a couple of years they became much more active during the daytime and started buzzing around the cichlids when they were spawning.

Large water changes stimulate the cichlids spawning which then in turn stimulates the multis and I think having cichlids with large mouths helps too as the catfish fry grow large quickly.

Good luck! smile.gif

Cheers,
John

#29 Scat

Scat
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 November 2009 - 09:58 PM

Can we see some new piccys smile.gif

Cheers
Craig

#30 tywonreef

tywonreef