Photo

Such Thing As Albino Peppermints?

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#41 aquacouple

aquacouple
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:12 PM

It looks albino to me, but it is a small photo, can't wait to see more! I have also seen photos of someone's albino L333's from over east, very cool looking!

#42 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:03 PM

QUOTE (Hypanheaven @ Oct 3 2012, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just FYI i have seen pics of various L number albinos that i didnt think existed that were for sale over east, L066 and L333 albino's they looked pretty neat. Johno could maybe back me up on this

yes thats true i've seen various albino 333's now... i think lukey even had a couple here in WA... heard of an L066 albino but not seen any pics yet... has been an albino 201... but not in australia was overseas...

i think the heavy metal water concentrations have something to answer for as quoted in previous post.... more oddities are popping up every day..... kinda good!!! smile.gif

the fry does look albino with the tail being a bit different... like it has peppermint tail....

time will tell... hope you have a good number of albino fry so you wont have to cross back over the parent... but as with pepps you have an 18-24mths to wait to breed them.... tongue.gif

#43 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:02 AM

Brad - All I have to say is ABOUT BLOODY TIME! I can take some fish off you that or of some sort of worth. Even up the ledger for the 100's of fish you've poached off me over the years. smile.gif smile.gif

Edited by Peckoltia, 04 October 2012 - 09:02 AM.

#44 Hypanheaven

Hypanheaven
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:34 PM

well according the missus the number of albinos arn't massive. She has counted 4 so far, but she thinks maybe more hiding in a little internal filter sponge thats in there and in the big log. she can see little suckers though the fog green plastic but doesnt want to open it up incase she squashes them, im home sunday so will update on quantity and better photos!!!
There are alot of hiding spots so i hope theres more!

and where do you think your going to put peppermit fry al?

#45 Hypanheaven

Hypanheaven
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:43 PM

also got my underwater cam i might send for a swim to get some close ups

#46 chocobikies

chocobikies
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:25 PM

QUOTE (bigjohnnofish @ Oct 1 2012, 11:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
australia seems to be producing quite a few unusual albinos at the moment... wonder if its something in the water???

love to see some pics....

Its the inbreeding ;]
because we're so restricted in fish

both parents are probably from the same batch and most likely have a recessive gene for albino-ism

the chance of getting albino's if both parents are heterozygous for the gene is 50%

just like
albino+albino = 100% albino
albino+homozygous normal looking = 100% normal looking carriers
albino +heterozygous normal = 50% normal looking carriers and 50% albino
heterozygous normal + heterozygous normal = 25%homozygous normal + 25% heterozygous normal and 50% albino

sorry for the lesson in biology >_>'

#47 Anka

Anka
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:27 PM

lol this is bringing me back to 1st year uni biology :S

#48 Hypanheaven

Hypanheaven
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:40 PM

either way i cant find any info on anyone ever having this happen, so if it is what it is, there pretty bloody rare

#49 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:58 PM

I've looked and can't find any either. The pioneer of alb peppies hey....

#50 Hypanheaven

Hypanheaven
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:31 PM

Fingers crossed!! I've possibly gone from losing 1.5k of fish due to power outage to pioneering something

#51 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:08 AM

QUOTE (chocobikies @ Oct 4 2012, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its the inbreeding ;]
because we're so restricted in fish

both parents are probably from the same batch and most likely have a recessive gene for albino-ism

the chance of getting albino's if both parents are heterozygous for the gene is 50%

just like
albino+albino = 100% albino
albino+homozygous normal looking = 100% normal looking carriers
albino +heterozygous normal = 50% normal looking carriers and 50% albino
heterozygous normal + heterozygous normal = 25%homozygous normal + 25% heterozygous normal and 50% albino

sorry for the lesson in biology >_>'

your biology lesson is flawed as the albino gene is recessive assuming both parents carry it... your only looking at a possible outcome of approx 25%.... NA x NA gives NN,NA,AN,AA and to exhibit albino characteristics you need both genes from both parents.... in reality the percentage always seems a bit lower than 25%... perhaps from other external factors influencing spawning outcomes plus the possibility of less albinos surviving as they are genetically weaker...

im still a fan of heavy metal influence on the spawn upping the albino possibility....

#52 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:05 AM

Proposed source of said heavy metals?

#53 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:25 AM

Heavy metals would only induce, not being the primary cause.
Albinoism, is a very natural occurring genetical event, as I said before it gets awfully complicated.
Johnno explained how it happens. But why it happens or turns out that way can only be explained in scientifical turns.
Heavy metals would only very minimally contribute to swaying the equation.
In nature, as most of us know, albinos are killed by the common standard strains, that's the reason for scarcity.
If you want albinos from a non-albino line of fish, then all you need is to cross your fingers.
Dont go adding in heavy metals to make it happen because it won't, not even close.

#54 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:35 AM

Copper pipes, broken thermometer and a used battery thrown in the tank Kleinz. Easy! tongue.gif

#55 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:47 AM

Hah, yeah, a big dob of mercury.

#56 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:00 AM

Meh. Be interested in how heavy metals get in a fish tank in something more than homeopathic quantities.
I'd imagine that malachite type medications would far exceed in copper anything that came out of a pipe.
Not a great deal of mercury in thermometers these days.

That leaves batteries.

QUOTE (Buccal @ Oct 6 2012, 08:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dont go adding in heavy metals to make it happen because it won't, not even close.

Buccal, you cannot know that! I insist we all try it right now... for science!

And if it doesn't work...Dang. I have to stop drilling big holes in my old car batteries and dumping them in the tank as holey rock substitutes.

Also those rock from Roxby Downs could be a worry, though they do glow lovely of an evening.

Are we any closer to decent pix of these theoretically albino beasties?

Edited by Kleinz, 06 October 2012 - 09:06 AM.

#57 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:22 AM

It's alright, I know your having a dig at me. I can take a good smack in the nose (as long as its occasional).
But veering of slightly, on my 2800 liter display tank I water change every night. New water runs in and new mixed with old runs out as waiste.
I made this simple with two valves that I open every night. To do this I had a plumber to come in to install additional copper pipe work next to the tank inside my mini cafe bar.
I let water pass through the new copper as waiste for three hours a day at slow pressure for a week.
After that I did my first water change.
And as per normal water gushing in and new/old water together going out. I watched for 30 seconds and all was going well.
I walked of and made myself a coffee which took 5 minutes.
I returned to my tank and all my fish had changed weird colors, fins were going grey black.
Fish were bumping into rocks as if they were blind. Some were spiraling up to the surface and to the substrate. Some were already dead on the bottom like curled bannanas.
I was so distraught and shaking and actually had to hold down my own vomit. I took years collecting and trailing these specie mixes.
I rushed for the hose to carry on procedure via the outside tap to flush out the poison.
Everything died within two hours except for the Pimalodus ornatus !!
Absolutely gutted.
There must have been some sort of crystalized flux on inside of copper as well as copper poisoning.
I woke up the next morning, somehow hoping it was a nightmare dream.
But no, the water was milky from a ammo spike and fish already decaying in the matter of 12 hours was already stinking out the house.
Because my goal of attraction is to over crowd and filtrate supremely to overcome, I filled to the brim a tall white bucket with fish.
How crap is that !!!!

#58 Hypanheaven

Hypanheaven
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:10 PM

QUOTE (Kleinz @ Oct 6 2012, 09:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are we any closer to decent pix of these theoretically albino beasties?

I fly in tomorrow, relax already, will pull tank apart tomorrow and find all the fry i can, apparently most fry are still hiding in the internal filter sponge.....

Buccal sorry for your loss, i had a similar loss recently with my display, not as many fish but still fish i had grown up since fry for around 3 years, all things that i would have liked to see more of like c.spilo etc, mine was due to power failure though

Edited by Hypanheaven, 06 October 2012 - 03:16 PM.

#59 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:34 PM

And who gave you the spills? Haha.

Edited by Peckoltia, 06 October 2012 - 03:45 PM.

#60 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:59 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing them. The other pix just frustrated me sad.gif Hope they are what you want.

Buccal, sorry that happened. Surely it'd have to be a solvent or some other strong reagent rather than just copper, though. In my understanding, heavy metals are pretty slow acting.

Little known fact: Often the first sign of lead poisoning in humans is the loss/impairment of the ability to do mental arithmetic.

nb: this ability is hard to test in fish...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users