Photo

Roe 8 Protests: Good Bad Or Ugly?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 extend

extend
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 January 2017 - 10:01 PM

I want to know what people think about the protests going on around the Roe 8 project?  My brother is a surveyor and he says that environmental policy on the site is very strict and thorough. They have to stop work if a snake, bandicoot, bee eater or any other native animal is seen and it needs to be removed before work can start again.  Plants are documented and removed when possible so the project is trying its hardest to be as environmentally sensitive as possible and certain people groups are trying to discredit such hard work.  He also has plenty of other stories of protestors smearing poo inside of the portable toilets they themselves hired.

#2 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 28 January 2017 - 11:28 PM

Some are good: those that voice their opinion without stopping work
Bad: people who stop the contractors do their job, which is legal
Ugly: those that think it's ok to chain themselves to a gate, climb a tree, assault security guards, plant dead animals near the site and post photos, etc.
Everyone has a right to protest, it's a democratic right. The problem is, a lot (in my opinion) are going about it the wrong way. I get pretty annoyed when I'm driving down north lake road and have to slow down for the protestors. Im pro roe 8, and think it's a great idea. Im also fine with others being anti roe 8, its their choice. Just wish they would all go about it the right way.

#3 chocky

chocky
  • Photo Comp Official

Posted 29 January 2017 - 12:15 AM

I worked on the gateway project and it's the same companies that won the roe 8.
Correct - there are very strict rules when it comes to clearing land when it comes to flora fauna and aboriginal heritage sites.

The protesters are a bunch of idiots who don't know what their on about.

People who are now crying about their houses being affected are idiots too. The road reserve has been there for like 30yrs+.

It's frustrating to see the news pop up on my Facebook newsfeed on a daily basis.

I'm somewhat glad I didn't put my hand up to go on this project again and that I'm maternity leave and don't have to hear / deal with it. Lol :)

https://project.main...nvironment.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 January 2017 - 01:03 AM

some areas are a little more sensitive than others but lets take the spot where your house is located.... once upon a time a native piece of land was cleared to build your house... or the land was cleared years earlier and built on then recleared for your house... but the point being everyone of us has been an environmental vandal in its essence or the benefitter of it....  its called progress and unfortunately we cant save every native environment as it is.... from my understanding the roe 8 section will be on pylons where it goes through the wetlands and the wetlands themselves will be restored with the exception of pylons of course but im sure the natural fauna in the area will adapt to this quickly

so in my opinion some looney green lefties are doing the wrong thing... their opinions were expressed long before this project was approved so they have had their say and input and thats it.... 

#5 extend

extend
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 January 2017 - 07:26 AM

For all you herpers and those who aren't, this dugite was almost stepped on by my brother on friday at one of the roe 8 site, then caught and released.  Must have been close to 2m long.  I was joking to him and said that they should have gotten the snake and put it in the middle of the protest camp and told them to look after it. 

Attached File  16357178_10210890531634661_1938934403_o.jpg   384.42KB   8 downloads

#6 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 January 2017 - 07:17 AM

Nice healthy animal, hold it a little further up the tail past the cloaca next time. You're holding it by its junk in that photo :)

Must be seeing a fair few tigers there too?

#7 chocky

chocky
  • Photo Comp Official

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:49 AM

Those hippies go on about how cycling and public transport will solve all our traffic congestion problems.

Well you know how many millions of dollars we spent on dedicated cycle paths on gateway? A freKing lot.. and I don't think any one is actually using them yet. Anyway it's still an investment worth doing which I'm 100% certain they are going to do the same for Roe 8 which I'm sure those tree hugging hippies will use and I wonder if they'll complain then?

End of they day.. we need both. Better road networks and infrastructure AND better public transport. If there's a city we should look at it's somewhere like Singapore.

You know what's a joke?
Our Train line that runs up and down the freeway....

#8 extend

extend
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 January 2017 - 06:39 PM

Nice healthy animal, hold it a little further up the tail past the cloaca next time. You're holding it by its junk in that photo :)

Must be seeing a fair few tigers there too?

Thats not me holding the snake, it actually the professional wrangler the project called in.  The guy had literally just caught it by diving into the bushes after it apparently.  

#9 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:21 PM

Chocky - I also worked at Gateway WA for 12months.

Edited by Peckoltia, 14 March 2017 - 09:43 AM.

#10 chocky

chocky
  • Photo Comp Official

Posted 31 January 2017 - 03:32 PM

Oh ok I was there for about 4yrs lol

I'm just sick of the stories of those damn protestors on my newsfeed every day.

For sure once it's done they'll be there enjoying it like the rest of us

#11 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:44 PM

Seeing mass numbers of police resources getting wasted is what bothers me.

#12 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:27 AM

Labor got in, we will now see Roe 8 scrapped, and the protestors apparently not charged.

#13 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:59 PM

and the now meaningless destruction of trees :(

#14 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:47 PM

Great example of where you end up when your stubbornness gets in the way of making sound decisions - bye bye Barnett and thank god we don't waste anymore money on a stupid out of date project.

Hopefully McGowan expands the port in Kwinana now

#15 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:21 PM

Here are some issues and thoughts to consider, before people feel for the trees at Roe 8. I have talked about this project at length with many people, it is amazing how little people know about it. The voting public are idiots, rarely comes down to who will be a better leader. At the end of the day, the Australian public voted in Rudd over John Howard. They say change is as good as a holiday, but I'd rather stay at home then holiday in hell. 

-80% of the clearing has been done at Roe 8. 

-The project only required the clearing of ~2% of the Beliar Wetlands, it may have even been less than this (going off memory)

-Labor has quoted $30m to scrap the Roe 8 project. I'm guessing all said and done, it will be more likely be around the $100m mark. Never seen a new government be cheered for setting fire to $100m.

-Main Roads purchased almost twice the off sets required for the Roe 8 project to offset the area to be cleared.

-With environmental approvals, planning, design and construction we won't see an outer harbour in Kwinana/Cockburn in the next 30 years.

#16 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:49 PM

Idiots?

It's this narrow minded and stubborn refusal to allow others their opinion that inspired people to protest so actively in the first place. To sum it all down to people upset over a few trees shows just how out of touch these attitudes are.

Can you show how you came up with $100m wasted? That's seems quite extreme to the point of being laughable.

I've been in the environment game for quite some time. Enough to know that 2% is never 2%. It looks that way from an initial approvals perspective but long term it's the first cut of a thousand more to come. Why go there when there is a better alternative? Industry is at Kwinana. $4bn for latitude 32 from industry lined up in the near future - the government needs to accept that Fremantle is no longer a heavy industry centre. It's residential, tourist and commercial. Get on board with industry and complement their investments instead of fighting with progress. Utter bullshit to suggest that can't happen within 20 years. Just need people to adjust to the fact that Roe 8 isn't happening and shift focus.

#17 chrishaigh82

chrishaigh82
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:07 PM

The difficulty with environmental issues is that the time frame required for sound management decisions spans decades rather than the 4 year terms under which the government rotates about with each subsequent party aiming for a total shift in the management of any issue to prove a point to the voters resulting in a manichean absolutist out come where things are flipped 180 degrees and the opposite outcome occurs.

It's a super fine line we all walk as a community between standing still and damaging the environment.  Looking at the final out come for this road project it seems it will be better for the animals living there due to better travel through the region than the current roads on mounds allow at the moment (terrible for the plants being bulldozed).  

A bit of a confession, I've chained myself to trees and supported those living in the canopies of old growth forests to be cleared in protest, I also own businesses across a couple of states.  Family is in earth moving and construction.  This project I see it is a benefit for populace and plants.

I hope the extra due diligence required for the environmental impact and mitigation of damage to the area to be finally established rather than the emotive media driven commentary to date.  I worry there are a lot of families who will have their income lost through issues which are actually already being addressed by the project just not appropriately addressed and discussed with the community stakeholders.

#18 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:02 AM

roe 8 was by no means the tipping point for the change in govt - people have just had enough of barnett... he is an twat putting it nicely...... 

guess we'll just have to wait till libs get back in and roe 8 will be back on the menu :)   a lot of federal funding for this project - does labor think it will get the money to spend on metronet now ??? no-one cares about ellenbrook except people in ellenbrook :) train line out there is too expensive for our budget already in deficit........ im thinking federal govt will retract any funding not already spent on roe  8... 

i just dont like the prospect of cockburn sound being put under any more environmental stress... fish breeding grounds already under threat... pink snapper in particular - although i know they do spawn around garden island and other spots also but the gravel patch is very important to future pinkie stock.....

#19 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 March 2017 - 05:52 AM

Idiots?

It's this narrow minded and stubborn refusal to allow others their opinion that inspired people to protest so actively in the first place. To sum it all down to people upset over a few trees shows just how out of touch these attitudes are.

Can you show how you came up with $100m wasted? That's seems quite extreme to the point of being laughable.

I've been in the environment game for quite some time. Enough to know that 2% is never 2%. It looks that way from an initial approvals perspective but long term it's the first cut of a thousand more to come. Why go there when there is a better alternative? Industry is at Kwinana. $4bn for latitude 32 from industry lined up in the near future - the government needs to accept that Fremantle is no longer a heavy industry centre. It's residential, tourist and commercial. Get on board with industry and complement their investments instead of fighting with progress. Utter bullshit to suggest that can't happen within 20 years. Just need people to adjust to the fact that Roe 8 isn't happening and shift focus.

Remember this post Poncho, because I will be bringing it back up in the coming months when the cost on canning Roe 8 is released to the general public. It's OK though the Labor government will just spin something about how it was the Liberals fault in the first place, I'm guessing a lot of smoke and mirrors about how they weren't fully aware of the cost of Roe 8 in the first place. If they are smart they will renegotiate contracts and get the contractors to do others works in the area, so not so much cash is burnt in cold blood.

I stand by my comment that the general voting public are idiots, and I don't trust them. My trust was lost in 2007. Arguably Australia's greatest ever Prime Minister, voted out for Kevin Rudd. That is like trading your mate a Red Arowana for his Guppy with a twisted spine, because you feel like a change!

PS - I said it won't happen in the next 30 years, not 20. :)

Edited by Peckoltia, 14 March 2017 - 06:47 AM.

#20 Bostave

Bostave

Memberships

• Forum Member

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:49 AM

Regarding best Australian prime ministers;

https://en.m.wikiped...rs_of_Australia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users