Photo

Alvse's 4ft Aquascape

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 alvse

alvse
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

I've had the aquarium bug for almost a year now. Started out with a little Blue Planet 50L, and the bug hit me hard immediately. Soon I searched gumtree for a secondhand 4fter and my first attempt at a planeted aquarium.

Definitely made some mistakes, such as not having the right substrate and such.

Now, getting ready for a proper display tank. I have an Eheim Opal 120 on order.

I have had an Eheim 2215 running on my current tank for a while, and just recently put in an extra 2215 in preparation for the new tank.
I am going to use the current tank as a holding tank while the new tank is cycling (which I hope is rather quick since I am preparing the new 2215).
Will be moving the inline heater and fish over once the new tank has cycled.

This is roughly the layout I have decided for the new tank.

I already have the rocks for the cliff end (right side) and the gold vine for the hill side (left side, also, the real life piece that I already have is much larger than what's modeled above).

The rocks for the cliff side will be set up so that there are caves for the fishies and will be using black thin PVC garden edging as retaining wall inside the caves to prevent aqua soil from spilling in. I am also planning to use the PVC edging as retaining walls buried inside the hill sides to stop land slides.
The area to the right of the cliffs will be just plain sand with no plants.

I will probably only re-use some of the plants from the current tank.
I'm still undecided on what ground cover to use on the hill areas.

I currently have 6 9L bags of ADA Amazonia, I'm thinking that should be more than enough. I might build up the sub-structure of the hill areas with bagged pebbles.

The tank will only be viewable from right end and front, with the back and left end against walls. The back and left sides will be frosted.
I will be lighting the tank from behind using a lightbox I've put together.
Here is the lighting panel I've wired up so far...

the flashing sequence is just a test to see that it's all connected fine.

this is the final product, which will be stained to match the aquarium cabinet (black);

#2 Anka

Anka
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

Speechless.

I wait in anticipation to see what the final product looks like!

That 3D modelling is very cool as well!

#3 Furnix

Furnix
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

looks very cool! Looks like you've put a lot of time and effort into planning! as for what to grow as a ground cover have a look at HC (Hemianthus callitrichoides) it is pretty expensive but looks amazing as a ground cover!

#4 Anka

Anka
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

HC is very difficult to grow as it requires intense lighting and a fine substrate - you will need the ADA powder. Glosso would be easier (although it would need both intense lighting and a fine substrate) and is cheaper. However, it seems that you have plants under control.

#5 alvse

alvse
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

Moved old tank to another location.

Background lightbox installed (got to level it)... hopefully I will have the tank this saturday biggrin.gif

Edited by alvse, 13 January 2013 - 10:09 AM.

#6 alvse

alvse
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:08 AM

The day has come, my tank has arrived... and my god it's heavy!

After a bit of messing around on trying to get it on it's cabinet (and 2 applications of the background later)...

Added hardscape and substrate....

Added the plants (don't ask me what they all are, I know there is swords, hairgrass, HC, and Riccia in there)

So... time to let it settle and cycle, hopefully none of the plants will dislodge.

#7 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:17 AM

Looks good mate. Do you think the light box will be enough to grow the plants ? Or are you planning lights on top to.

#8 alvse

alvse
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:28 AM

There are lights on top (4x39W T5s).. the lightbox is just for background illumination. smile.gif

Edited by alvse, 18 January 2013 - 08:28 AM.

#9 Mattymak

Mattymak
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

That's looking VERY nice mate!

#10 Scales

Scales
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

Your not worried that you have literally placed a big torch behind your tank that will blast light out the front of your tank? Sort of like a lighthouse in your lounge room.

#11 alvse

alvse
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE (monstr red devil keepr @ Jan 18 2013, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your not worried that you have literally placed a big torch behind your tank that will blast light out the front of your tank? Sort of like a lighthouse in your lounge room.

Nah, not really, if it's too bright, I'll adjust the program to tone it down a bit... initial run seemed ok. The tanks main lights softens out most of the backlight anyways.

#12 Mattymak

Mattymak
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

Don't be a girl Clay

#13 Scales

Scales
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

Trialled this a few years back, got very annoying squinting if you want to get a close up look at the tank and fish never seemed to settle. Also dealing with problem of all your plants leaning towards the back of the tank as they grow taller.

Don't get me wrong your tank looks beautiful and the attention to detail is prize winning quality. It would just be a shame if its ruined by that back light smile.gif

#14 alvse

alvse
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

It's only on for 5 hours a day in the evening. And half the time, the top half is set to pale blue "moonlight". So worry not... thanks for your comments though, keep them coming biggrin.gif

#15 Mattymak

Mattymak
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE (monstr red devil keepr @ Jan 18 2013, 03:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Trialled this a few years back, got very annoying squinting if you want to get a close up look at the tank and fish never seemed to settle. Also dealing with problem of all your plants leaning towards the back of the tank as they grow taller.

Don't get me wrong your tank looks beautiful and the attention to detail is prize winning quality. It would just be a shame if its ruined by that back light smile.gif

Wow Clay, maybe you're not as dumb as you look!

#16 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

Luv the split with soil on one side and beach on the other.

#17 alvse

alvse
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

I've now set up my DIY CO2. I've installed an old Eheim PowerBall powerhead I had, and piped the CO2 tube into the bottom of it's strainer.
It's shooting nice tiny CO2 bubbles throughout the tank. Pretty sure I see beading on the Ricca

Also attached some Java Fern to the driftwood. Will post pics tonight once it's dark enough not to have reflections on the glass tongue.gif

#18 Furnix

Furnix
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

looking freaking awesome! u've done a really good job and should be very proud! it will look just like the award winning tanks once it has grown out!

#19 alvse

alvse
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

Day 3
Side view

Front View

Close Ups

#20 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:03 PM