Loricariidae availability.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 urodacus

urodacus
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2004 - 12:31 AM

G'day People

My old man works in the library at Murdoch Uni, ill ask him to have a look for any papers concerning Loricariidae tomorrow. If theres anything worth having ill get it all photocopied and scan it.
Ive been wondering, do the type specimens still exist for most of these species? I know alot of stuff was destroyed in Europe during WW2, i know a few guys studying scorpions that have run into grief when holotypes have been destroyed and original descriptions were extremely vague at best.

Anyways, ill let yas know.
Jordan

#22 PHL0703

PHL0703
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2004 - 03:18 AM

My understanding is that only Otocinclus affinis is available in Australia, and it is illegal to import the others. Seeing as the only way to tell is via subtle bone morphology, I don't think anyone really knows.

#23 urodacus

urodacus
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 January 2004 - 06:15 AM

Old man had a look, ill have to go in and have a look myself though. To get any info you need to log onto one of their databases and do a search from within the library. The database is meant to pretty much tell you which journal to look in. Its a start, but theres no guarantee that the journal with the info we need is even being kept at the library.

Ah well:\
Jordan

#24 Guest_Alan Caboolture_*

Guest_Alan Caboolture_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2004 - 03:55 AM

%%WORD0% 03,

There are still a few Loricariidae on the import list. Prior to the introduction of Sched 6 in the early eighties, all Loricariidae, ' Plecos ', were allowed into Australia.

For instance, my bristle nose ancistrus are all descended from wild caught fish imported in 1968 and in the last thirty odd years I have bred and put into the trade tens of thousands of bristles descended from my first pair. If you think about it, there are probably hundreds of thousands of bristles out there in aquariums today all descended from that one pair. And all legal !

These are remarkably long lived fish and it is not inconceivable that fish imported legally prior to sched 6 still exist in tanks in some collections.

Alan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users