Hoplo's spawning (pic's)

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 August 2004 - 11:20 PM

Hi All,

I've just discovered my hoplos in the process of spawning. :) Although there seems to be a large number of eggs on the base of the tank (bare bottom tank). I can see a few eggs in the nest, but most are on the base of the tank.

On further watching, after the "T" position and the female releasing the eggs into her pouch/cupped fins she then placed the eggs or tried to place the eggs in the bubble nest. Although the nest, which is under an ice cream lid seems to be moving as she's trying to place them. Could this be the problem?
Has anyone had any experience with these guys? Terry is this normal?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Looks like the male is having fun going around trying to clean the eggs up. :rolleyes

Tammy

(edited after further watching the spawning process)

Edited by: Tammy Brisbane at: 9/6/04 8:02 am

#2 ikan

ikan
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 August 2004 - 12:20 AM

Congrats:good

#3 Terry

Terry

Life Member

• PCS Club Member

Posted 24 August 2004 - 04:59 AM

Hi Tammy
We used to anchor the lid to the side of the tank with a piece of plastic coated tie wire. Drill a small hole in the lid then tie one end of the wire to it, then make a hook with the other end and clamp it to the side of the tank. If you use a clear lid you will see the eggs in the nest. It took several spawnings for the pair to get it right.
Cheers Terry:good

#4 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 August 2004 - 04:10 PM

Thanks ikan and thanks Terry for the info. :good

This morning the nest has greatly reduced in size, most of the bubbles have gone and some of the eggs that were stuck to the lid it self, you can see have been pulled off, leaving few eggs. The male doesn't seem overly protective of the nest either, although I'm not about to put my hand in there just yet. :lol
Would it be worth trying another male or best to leave this male have a few practice runs? I have some spare males so that wouldn't be a problem. I believe the female has spawned a few times in the past but this is a first for the male.

I will give them a few days then see to anchoring a lid in the tank, hoping they spawn again.

Tammy

#5 Terry

Terry

Life Member

• PCS Club Member

Posted 25 August 2004 - 05:53 AM

I wouldn't separate the pair, give them a chance to get it right. They should spawn again in about 2 weeks. Have a go at artifically raising the few eggs you have left, you will need the practise for the hundreds of eggs you will have next time.
Terry

#6 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 August 2004 - 03:44 AM

Thanks Terry.

I managed to get a tub in the tank and under the nest, but what looked like a few eggs were only the remains of the eggs. Shells :rolleyes

If the same happens next time round will be quicker to grab the eggs.

Tammy

#7 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 August 2004 - 03:39 PM

Hi all,

Gee these guys don't waste any time, shortly after putting a lid back in the tank on Thursday (anchored this time) the male started blowing bubbles, by Friday morning the nest was much bigger. At this stage I wasn't sure if he was preparing for a spawn to come or they were actually going to spawn again. Anyway when turning lights out late last night I caught them in the process of spawning again. Being so soon since last spawn I don't know if maybe she hadn't really completed spawning first time round??
Anyway this morning the nest has reduced in size again, but there are a lot more eggs in the nest this time, although there is evidence that some of the eggs have been plucked off so I have put a tub under the nest, the tub is closed, should I put a slow running air stone in there for circulation?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tammy

#8 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 September 2004 - 03:52 PM

Hi all,

These guys spawned again last night,:eek there seems to be a lot more eggs this time and the nest is in better shape then it was last night unlike the last 2 spawns where the nest/bubbles had reduced in size by the morning.

I might leave the eggs with the male this time see what happens. Last spawn there were quite a few infertile eggs and it didn't take much for the eggs to fungus. It wasn't a complete loss though, I have just over a dozen wrigglers swimming around. :)

Tammy

#9 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 September 2004 - 04:01 PM

The latest on the hoplo saga.

The male seemed to be doing well with the nest, although the eggs had reduced in number,, wasn't sure if these were bad eggs being removed by the male or the eggs were eaten, then the number seemed to reduce every time I checked, finally almost all the eggs had gone so I quickly removed the nest with only 7 eggs remaining. :(

After removing the remaining eggs from the lid I placed the lid back in the tank and again by morning he has already build another nest, this boy doesn't waste any time. If the last 2 spawns are anything to go by they spawn around 24 hours after the male has built up a new nest.

This has definitely been a learning process and great watching the little ones grow (although there's still a long way to go yet), hopefully any following spawns will be more successful.

Anyway, now I have the use of another cam, I have taken a few pic's.

These shots were taken at different times, you can see the reducing number of eggs.

New nest

Tammy

#10 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 September 2004 - 04:02 PM

These guys are like clock work, :lol they have spawned again. :eek

Fingers crossed this spawn is more successful.

Tammy

#11 looking for peppermint

looking for peppermint
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 September 2004 - 12:10 AM

i really enjoy reading about your sucess. congrads. was just wondering how big a tank u have these guys in and and what sex ratio's do u have the fish in? what would be the minimum size tank u would try and spawn them in? r there more females than males or vise versa? also how can u tell their sex? keep up the good work and please keep us informed on whats going on with ur hoplo's?
clint

#12 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 September 2004 - 03:30 AM

Thanks clint,

Tank is 3x15x18" high.

Not sure about minimum size tank,, someone else might have a better idea?? I wouldn't think too much smaller then a 3fter.

Shortly before the first spawn the tank was moved and filtration changed and other tank inhabitance taken out and a lid added to the tank.

I put the lid in the tank on the off chance they may breed but really didn't expect them to breed so soon, thought it was a little cool yet.

I only have the one pair in the tank.

You can sex them by their pectoral fins, males are larger and the first ray is thicker and orange in colour.

Will let you know how things go with this latest batch.

Tammy

#13 Guest_Alan Caboolture_*

Guest_Alan Caboolture_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2004 - 10:10 PM

Goodness !!!!

One pair spawned four time in 15 days,,,,you must be feeding them right to condition them up so quickly. And every thing else in the tank must just to their liking.

What is the superperforming diet Tammy ??

Alan.

#14 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 September 2004 - 04:23 AM

Surely it cant be too uncommon?? I cant seem to find any info out there referring to spawning frequency?? Will have to do some more digging.

It seems the moment I place the fresh lid back in the tank the male starts on rebuilding a nest, then not long after they are back to spawning again.

Worried the eggs could be eaten again, I've removed the lid with eggs to a tub, so the male is with out a lid atm, I'm sure if I put the lid back in the tank now he'd be at it again. :lol

Recently I've been feeding them black worms and a mix of pellets foods.

Tammy

#15 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 September 2004 - 06:03 PM

Update on the last spawn.

There was a large number of infertile eggs which I discarded along the way which helped stop any fungus out breaks.
This morning many of the remaining eggs have hatched with some still to go. So all going well I could be looking at 100+ fry. :)

Here's some pic's I took this morning.

I also put a few eggs in the first tub, you can see the 3 different age groups.

I have now placed the lid back in the tank, see how they go this time. :lol

Tammy

#16 Lee Hodge

Lee Hodge
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 September 2004 - 08:37 PM

could u please take some pics of the whole tank setup. this is an interesting thread.
thanks
lee

#17 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 September 2004 - 02:09 AM

Hi Lee,

They spawned again over night so I took a few pic's of tank and spawn this morning.

At this rate I think I need to get another female,, this girl will need a rest anyway. It seems the male has been a little rough when spawning and has split her dorsal in half, from a weak spot in the center base of her dorsal from a past injury before I got her. The tips of the rays on the center base of her dorsal are now looking a little raw.

Anyway here's the latest pic's.

Male tending to his nest.

Tank is nothing special, bare bottom tank with two air driven sponge filters.

Tammy

#18 looking for peppermint

looking for peppermint
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 September 2004 - 02:19 AM

i love this link. those are some great shots. u almost have me interseted in setting up a hoplo tank like urs. continue to keep us updated please.

#19 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 September 2004 - 08:01 PM

Thanks Guys,

After taking the pic's of the last spawn, again not trusting the male I moved the spawn to a tub. Removing any infertile eggs along the way.

This batch has hatched quicker then the other batches, (I'd say due to temp increase).

Here's some pic's taken this afternoon.

Hoplos 6 days old

Tammy

#20 Hodey

Hodey
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 September 2004 - 08:48 PM

excellent pics tam, i really have been interested with this thread.
makes me want a pr myself.

lee :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users