• Forum Member

Posted 19 November 2018 - 08:31 AM

Looking awesome mate!

#62 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 November 2018 - 10:20 AM

Thanks mate. 

Have a couple more sps and a handful of zoas going in today. 

Starting to see the first signs of new growth out of my sps, which is a great sign. 

Calc reactor seems to being doing a good job at keeping my water param's super stable. Alk 8.4, Calc 450 and Magnesium around the 1600 mark. The algae reactor is growing chaeto like mad, and my nitrate levels are low because of it <5. 

Need to get a phosphate test kit - been lazy. 

Battling a bit of hair algae. Rocks are now clean of it, the tangs and army of snails has nailed it all. Still quite a bit in the sand bed, but that is slowly being taken care of by the crew and siphoned out. All in all things are well. If a bit of hair algae is the worst of it.

#63 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 December 2018 - 09:21 PM

Busted out the SLR today - been a long time since I used it, and in fairness I was never that good to begin with. Still need some tinkering as some of the colours are not quite accurate.

IMG_1014_zps6xo0612s.jpg

Bengaii Cardinal

IMG_1026_zpszkxdv9we.jpg

Orange Shoulder Tang and Powder Blue enjoying some Nori. 

IMG_1002_zpsutvjgmle.jpg

Group shot

IMG_1056_zpswbcwetjb.jpg

r3_zpsj4fimgwr.jpg

Blonde Naso

IMG_1070_zpstpiivnr1.jpg

Blue Chromis hiding out in one of my Staghorn's, Cool pic but not really accurate colour wise. Staghorn growth tips are a blue colour, rather than all white.

9051013c-5ddc-41ac-8284-63de122faa16_zps

Zebrasoma crew - Desjardini Sailfin and Yellow Tang

r1JPG_zpskvrp1mos.jpg

SPS - Acropora tenuis 'Blue Batavia Coral Farm'. This is one of my favourite corals, and of course I do it no justice. Is a nice violet blue colour with fluorescent axial polyps.. This thing has grown heaps since I've had it and is going from strength to strength. 

Edited by Peckoltia, 16 December 2018 - 09:38 PM.

#64 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 17 December 2018 - 07:13 AM

Looking really nice to me - the colours are still amazing!

#65 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 December 2018 - 08:19 AM

That Desjardini is stunning!! Nice score...….

Tanks coming along nicely Alex. Just need more fish and coral :Rofl_3f:

#66 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 December 2018 - 09:37 AM

Delapool - thanks mate. When looking at the pics as a whole they kind of have a grayed out look to my eyes. Will definitely need some tinkering with the settings on the camera or some editing to get them to be a true reflection.

Jules - Thanks. Yeah the desjardini are stunning tangs. Really gives a nice contrast compared to the rest of the fish, especially the tangs. I do need more corals, but in reality i just need the ones I have to grow out! My tank is only 2 and a half months old, so think she's going alright. 

I actually lost my Favia 'brain coral' - first coral I have lost! Lost it when I had that mini outbreak of Dino's (only thing that was affected). Dino's came and went in 4 days - which I am very grateful for and fingers crossed the nasty bastards don't return. Another learning process for me. When I bought the Favia it had a black spot/hole in the top of the coral. One evening I noticed what I thought was a tiny shrimp darting in and out of the coral (trying to collect food particles?). There was also a secondary hole close by but nothing major and I couldn't see anything living in it. Just figured the holes would close as the coral grew. A few more holes developed, and I believe this weakened the coral and overnight the dino's took over one side of the coral (where the holes were) and then 24hrs later the entire coral was covered in dino's. I took the coral out and dried it in the sun. All of the holes were created by what I now know to be 'Gall Crabs'. I counted 7 of these crabs in total that the drying process brought out of the coral. Some people believe that these crabs are not harmful and some people remove them at all costs, I will now fall into the second category. 

These crabs make their home, normally in LPS (predominantly Favia and Elegenace from what I understand) and kind of burrow into the flesh and the coral grows around them. The female is the crab that lives in the hole and they use their back to block the hole up. The male is free to roam around. Ugly looking buggers - look like a tick. I dip all of my corals before placing them in the tank, it is possible that these crabs are unaffected by the dip, my dipping procedure is insufficient or and probably the most plausible answer is that the dip is effective (most dips 'stun' and not kill parasites so they fall off the coral) but they are within the hole so they don't actually fall out of the hole as they are wedged in then when placed inside the tank they then recover and carry on with life.

I was saying to Jules that Reef Keeping has been a pretty steep learning curve (not that anything has gone wrong) and I feel their is a nasty algae,parasite or disease lurking around every corner. Compared to freshwater is is crazy. I think in the previous 25 years of FW keeping I dealt with whitespot maybe once? and Hole in the Head once and that was about it. 

Edited by Peckoltia, 17 December 2018 - 09:40 AM.

#67 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 December 2018 - 09:09 PM

Top down SPS shots.

Attached Files

#68 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 January 2019 - 01:35 PM

11B2F765-1F9F-4516-9328-48515DB2F618_zps

2F7348A4-AB42-4DA9-B335-6C63041B517D_zps

Ticking along....

#69 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 January 2019 - 02:05 PM

This tank will look stunning in a year or so once your sps colonies take shape!

Really loving it.

#70 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 February 2019 - 07:14 AM

Haven't added many corals for a while - have a big heap of different zoa's coming today.

#71 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 February 2019 - 08:39 AM

I thought FW keepers gave things strange names. These are the zoa's that are arriving today; Rasta's, Strawberries with Cream, Canary Yellow,  Flourobscene, Golden Nugget, Blueberry mint, Purple People Eater,  Gob Smacker, Vulcanism and Chameleons.

To add to the ones i already have - Orange Bam Bam's, Red Dragons, Neon Green and Eagles Eye's.

:Rofl_3f:  :brickwall:

• ice likes this

#72 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 February 2019 - 10:28 AM

Agreed!!

No darth mauls yet? :lol:

Are they all the same species though?

#73 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 February 2019 - 10:37 AM

Nah no Darth Maul's. 

To be honest, i doubt they are all the same species, just collectively known as Zoanthids. 

Can definitely see differences between the 'varieties' in terms of polyp size and the structure of the actual polyp. 

#74 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 February 2019 - 04:51 PM

Some photo updates. 

The zoas and one chalice arrived yesterday. I must say I'm thoroughly impressed with the colour and size of the zoa colonies. Site states 10+ polyps, but most are 20 + with some even around the 50 polyps. Oceanarium are a quality outfit if anything is chasing corals, delivered to your door. I've done 2 orders from them and have been impressed both times.

My one main regret with the tank is i didn't make the stand shorter, to make viewing from above easier. The top down view in my opinion is the best view for a reef tank.

Some of the zoa colonies aren't completely open as they had only been in the tank a few hours when the pics were taken. Photos are nothing amazing, just iphone pics. Started using an app that balances the blues so the pics are actually fairly accurate with colours. My rocks are actually that pink/purple.

5FB9DB49-6862-42D6-858C-14E66059C579_zps

1EC0FEDA-9B49-4C40-BCE6-3D3A5B0B443D_zps

23361C26-E4F7-4749-B8C8-58918918E7C3_zps

04883183-65DC-45AB-8CA3-1C305A181DFF_zps

4E8D3CB3-615A-4323-92D2-67E0440C74D4_zps

C316CB25-836C-47EB-8360-A3ED01CCC452_zps

610C1E52-BCF4-4020-AB85-1F0B5C8B3591_zps

CA2333CF-71C0-4F70-BD2F-B2B8B350E97E_zps

#75 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 February 2019 - 04:59 PM

Looking great dude!

#76 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 27 February 2019 - 10:44 PM

Very nice!

I’m going marine again soon but will be a predator tank.

#77 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2019 - 09:46 AM

Thanks. 

Dazza - just go the whole way and do a reef. I was keen on marine fish, to be honest they only get in the way when looking at my coral. ;)

I've got a few really special SPS coming next weekend, can't wait.

Edited by Peckoltia, 28 February 2019 - 09:47 AM.

#78 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2019 - 04:49 PM

Fantastic job Alex. Very nice set up.

#79 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 March 2019 - 08:46 AM

Thanks mate, a lot of time, effort and money has gone into it. Starting to see some rewards. 

The set up isn't perfect by any means, and am still battling some issues. The sand is a bit of a mess with what looks like a mixture of diatoms and a weird short haired brown algae. Being a young reef, hopefully this will just go in time. I also have been battling nasty vermatid snails. They aren't the end of the world but look unsightly and can irritate corals. 

#80 Craig

Craig
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 01 March 2019 - 01:04 PM

I've enjoyed following along with this thread, and it's great to see the hard work starting to pay off! :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users