Photo

I Cant Get My Tank Clear

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ellie

ellie
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2017 - 05:57 PM

ive just put a new bioprow 2200 uvf external cannister filter on my 600 litre (approx) tank and i just havent been able to clear up the cloud in the tank

there are quite a few fish in there a couple of plecos, 3 bristlenoses, about 6 fulu's, a yellow belly albert and a variety of peackocks and a couple of clown loaches should

i drop another filter on it or is there something ive done wrong. suggestions please.

Ellie

#2 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 10 September 2017 - 06:28 PM

What substrate do you use?
Is the tank newly established?
What (and how much) do you feed your fish?
What media do you have in your filter?

#3 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2017 - 06:45 PM

Is it small particles or does the water look milky/cloudy?

#4 Bostave

Bostave

Memberships

• Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2017 - 06:50 PM

My advice would be to use Seachem clarity.

#5 ellie

ellie
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2017 - 07:09 PM

substrate is sand, its relatively newly estabilished a few months old

feed them cichlid pellets and algea pellets 

filter as those baki balls things, course sponge, ammonia pad ceramic noodles and a uv light

and its not what id call milky its not particles either unless they are microscopic

its like looking thru a haze kinbda

Edited by ellie, 10 September 2017 - 07:10 PM.

#6 Leichardti

Leichardti
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2017 - 07:41 PM

Have you had any fish death / fish acting weird or strange? Sounds like a bacterial bloom to me, due to the tank having to go through another cycle from putting a new filter on. From what I understand bacterial blooms are caused by an increase in bacteria in the water column which are thriving on ammonia, nitrite and the likes. Assuming it is, I suggest you dose your tank with the recommended amount of Seachem Prime (in order to detoxify the water to prevent fish deaths) and do twice a week 50% waterchanges. This should the ammonia levels at bay while also not upsetting the cycling process too much. You could also attempt to use some of the "bacteria in a bottle" (such as API QuickStart) to speed up the cycling process at the same time. Try to do frequent water tests if you can too, this should alert you in the case that your ammonia levels etc spike. 

^ This is all assuming that the tank is indeed recycling and has a bacterial bloom. It most likely is recycling if you used no pre-cycled media in the new filter.

#7 ellie

ellie
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2017 - 07:46 PM

i did lose one or two fish for no apparent reason and i didnt use pre recycled media so i think ur on to something i will give it a try thanx

#8 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2017 - 07:50 PM

Algae wafers do it sometimes

#9 ellie

ellie
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2017 - 07:53 PM

I kind of ruled the food out as I also have a 1300 litre tank running on a sump and use the same food in both tanks

and the bacterial thing due to it needing to cycle again cause of the new filter makes sense cause it was fine before I changed the filter

I should of known better and put the media in the sump for a week before I set the new filter up

hindsight is an amazing thing lol

#10 jakefoster

jakefoster
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:07 PM

if u change a filter u should always try to use the bio media from the old one. or sponge, which will also house bb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ellie

ellie
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:12 PM

if it was just a case of changing the filter i would of thought to do that but in my excitement of getting a new cannister filter for a tank that was already cycled and set up with internal filters, my brain switched off and i just didnt think.

Thanks everyone for ur help im pleased to say thanx to ur awesome advice my tank is now crystal clear and my fish are very happy

#12 Departure

Departure
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 December 2017 - 10:05 AM

I find I get that haze in my tank when the oxygen levels are low, in my case some time my venturi air line blocks up and no oxygen getting into the tank, once I unblock it, it will normally clear up in 1 or 2 days, I am not sure what type of air supply you are feeding to your tank, but it wouldn't hurt to increase it, I have seen this multiple time in my tanks and making sure the air supply(Venturi) is good has always fixed this problem

Edited by Departure, 16 December 2017 - 10:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users