Photo

Western Swamp Tortoise

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 waxy

waxy
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:16 PM

I took the kids to the zoo the other day and was amazed to find out that we have such a rare (almost extinct) species of tortoise so close to home. It's home is in the swan valley and its population was decimated when most of its habitat was cleared for agriculture a century or so ago.
It is the most endangered tortoise in the world with less than 100 left in the wild.
Thanks to a couple of sanctuaries and breeding program's at Perth zoo the populations are slowly growing.
It's an interesting creature and I'm sure many on here are well aware that it exists but I found it very interesting.

#2 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:26 PM

The funny thing is that some of the last remaining habitat is on the Perth Airport grounds and is being filled in for runways, railways and Coles and Woolies depots.

#3 waxy

waxy
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:23 AM

Seriously??
It's stupid isn't it. Doesn't surprise me tho.

#4 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:54 AM

Its quite sad really, I sometimes feel the government doesn't give a flying f%^k about our native flora and fauna.

They could do so much more and it wouldn't cost all that much as I know that a lot of ppl would volunteer for it (I myself would)

Back to Waxys comment, western swamp turtles are awesome little fellas, I prefer short neck turtles over long neck species, and hopefully if they pass the second lot of reptile keepers list, we will be able to keep North-west red-faced turtle (Emydura australis), just as cool, but not threatened/endangered

Edited by Jules, 12 September 2013 - 10:54 AM.

#5 MrLeifBeaver

MrLeifBeaver
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:53 PM

The Western Swamp tortiose I think is also located on the Foreshow (south side) in a swamp of Paper Barks.

#6 smirq

smirq
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:59 PM

The blokes that get voted for don't give a f*ck about much more than votes and money. Those employed by the government to look after the native flora and fauna care, but lack funding or the power to do much about it. 

Slightly related - http://www.seaturtle...?project_id=879

Edited by smirq, 12 September 2013 - 01:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users