Photo

Severums Acting Weird?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 the pulpican man

the pulpican man
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 April 2009 - 01:27 PM

i have been observing my sevs for a couple of days now, i have noticed that the male is shaking his head quite often :S why is he doing it? i can't find anything about it on google, does anyone know what it means, earlier he was digging his nose into the sand but he wasn't digging... any idea what he's doing..

cheers, tom

#2 lawdog

lawdog
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 April 2009 - 02:58 PM

Could be that he is ready to breed with the severums the rapid shaking of his body nd the head is part of the mating ritual, digging is normally done as part of preparing a neting area for the fish to spawn in, Try adding a flat rock or piece of slate, t the tank as they prefer flat surfaces, have has them spawn horizontally and vertically.

#3 Ronny

Ronny
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:13 PM

There is the chance of that but it could also be a parasite of some sort making him itchy.

Is he "diving" into the sand head first?
Or is he just diggin at it with his nose?

#4 the pulpican man

the pulpican man
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 April 2009 - 04:57 PM

QUOTE (Ronny @ Apr 4 2009, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is the chance of that but it could also be a parasite of some sort making him itchy.

Is he "diving" into the sand head first?
Or is he just diggin at it with his nose?

ronny, there may be a chance of a parasite, but the tank has only had one fish before them, it has a couple of jewels with them atm, they are both digging round a fair bit, i think they are preparing for a spawn, coz they keep inspecting the tank, checking out each rock carefully and then retreating to their cave and digging a bit again, they are both shaking their bodies and heads, its funny to watch, he is also shovelling it with his nose not diving into it. HOPE THEY SPAWN!! biggrin.gif do u know where i can get some good spawning rock?

cheers, tom

#5 cichlidsrule

cichlidsrule
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 April 2009 - 05:13 PM

ive seen the same shaking behaviour with my electric yellows when i added a new male (i think). the dominant male was going wild around the tank and shaking rapidly.

#6 the pulpican man

the pulpican man
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 April 2009 - 05:38 PM

QUOTE (cichlidsrule @ Apr 4 2009, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ive seen the same shaking behaviour with my electric yellows when i added a new male (i think). the dominant male was going wild around the tank and shaking rapidly.

could be that or it could be that your male was swimming real fast lol.

cheers

#7 Bluee

Bluee
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:15 PM

Pulpi!
It seems to me to be mating action!!
w00t! babies are coming your way!!
will we all get a free one? harhar

p.s; joe-king- but good luck with it all! and remember to add some flat rock for maximized mating purposes.

#8 the pulpican man

the pulpican man
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:03 PM

QUOTE (Bluee @ Apr 4 2009, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pulpi!
It seems to me to be mating action!!
w00t! babies are coming your way!!
will we all get a free one? harhar

p.s; joe-king- but good luck with it all! and remember to add some flat rock for maximized mating purposes.

haha cheers bro,

i hope it is a mating ritual, have u had severums breed b4? where can i buy some flat rock from? yeeooowww green sev fry!! smile.gif hopefully, i think they are currently cleaning a rock, they are digging round heaps aswell tongue.gif

cheers, tom

#9 newfish

newfish
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:28 AM

Hi Tom
This is typical pre-spawning behaviour for severums. The male will be showing off to the female, perhaps getting her ready to spawn? It may go on several days but they will be looking for a flat area to spawn on. A terracotta pot base is useful for this purpose. Mine are happy with a pot base that is about 12cm in diameter. It doesn't have to be enormous. The fish will clean it carefully prior to spawning.

Good luck
Erica (-;

#10 highlucks

highlucks
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 April 2009 - 01:21 PM

A good place to get some slate from is Pool table building companies. As they often break table slate and will have some broken pieces lying around. I know there are a couple in willetton but that is a long way from where you are. I am no expert on S/A Cichlids as I have never kept them but maybe a ceramic tile will do, the other guys will be able to tell you. If not try your local garden centre of soils aint soils to see if they have any suitable rocks.

#11 jordan58

jordan58
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 October 2009 - 08:43 PM

Hey,
Im having a similar thing with my red forset jewel cichlid, but im not sure whats happening because its the only cichlid in the tank and also the only fish in the tank acting this way.
p.h is 7.5 and nitrites and nitrates are low- just did water change

#12 Ejackal

Ejackal
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 October 2009 - 10:39 AM

My Green Severums breed almost every week on some rocks in the tank - they do lots of shaking and displaying before laying the eggs
Pity it's a planted community tank though, cause they dig up craters all over the place and any plant in the way, does not remain there for very long -
They have even dug up my clay balls that are up to 2.5inches deep under the gravel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users