Cichlid Compatibility/stocking Advice

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 danestead

danestead
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 July 2018 - 02:58 PM

Hi all,

I am a little out of touch with cichlids as I haven't kept them for over 15 years but have more recently had a marine aquarium setup (and now shut down).

I have a 4x2x2 with sump with >400L capacity. I intend to stock it with the following species. I'm thinking 16-20ish cichlids plus a few bristlenoses.

Dragon Blood - Aulonocara baenschi
Cobalt Blue - Metriaclima callainos
Electric Yellow - Labidochromis caeruleus
Electric Blue - Sciaenochromis fryeri
Red Shoulder Peacock - Aulonocara hansbaenschi

My research suggests these species should get along, I think, but I'm in need of a little advice on how many of each to keep and the split between males and females.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers guys.

#2 danestead

danestead
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 July 2018 - 03:47 PM

No one has any useful advice?

#3 moses123

moses123
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 July 2018 - 02:12 PM

Maybe remove the cobalt blues as they're herbivorous and the others arent, otherwise all should get along fine but I wouldnt mix the dragon bloods and red shoulders because they will cross breed unless you keep only males.

As with most africans, usually you keep 1 male : 2-3 females for breeding.

For display purposes you can go all males but with previous experience I've found males colour up the best when their's a female to show off to as well as another male to 'challenge'. Just note the subdominant male(s) wont look as nice.

Maybe stock 1-2 males of each peacock and
2 males and 4-5 females of the rest of the fish.

#4 danestead

danestead
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 July 2018 - 02:52 PM

Maybe remove the cobalt blues as they're herbivorous and the others arent, otherwise all should get along fine but I wouldnt mix the dragon bloods and red shoulders because they will cross breed unless you keep only males.

As with most africans, usually you keep 1 male : 2-3 females for breeding.

For display purposes you can go all males but with previous experience I've found males colour up the best when their's a female to show off to as well as another male to 'challenge'. Just note the subdominant male(s) wont look as nice.

Maybe stock 1-2 males of each peacock and
2 males and 4-5 females of the rest of the fish.

Thanks very much for your reply; it's the exact info. I was after.

Probably a good idea come to think of it with the Cobalt Blues. I'll look into a better option there.

Also regarding the Aulonocara species, I'm sure I could come up with a better option.

I'm not at all interested in breeding, so colour in the aquarium is my main aim, with thought also given to limiting aggression such that tank mates are able to live together without killing each other.

The Peacock species females look incredibly drab, so do you think it'd be safe to add both types of male species I've listed, or would keeping just 1 species be better (aggression wise)?

I think I'm going to drop the Electric Blues, so how's this sound?:

4 male Dragon Bloods - Aulonocara baenschi
4 male Red Shoulder Peacocks - Aulonocara hansbaenshi
2 male and 4 female Electric Yellows - Labidochromis caeruleus

Edited by danestead, 08 July 2018 - 03:04 PM.

#5 danestead

danestead
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 July 2018 - 04:08 PM

Having had more of a read, it seems I'm better off only having 1 each of the male Peacocks and the more different the colouring, the better.

So maybe the bunch of 6 Electric Yellows and then a variety of individual male Peacocks.

#6 moses123

moses123
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 July 2018 - 10:31 PM

Different male peacocks should go fine together amongst the yellows.
If you want a bit of blue in the tank, have you considered blue dolphins? Quite nice fish and should get along with the others.
Otherwise everything seems okay

#7 danestead

danestead
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 July 2018 - 10:59 PM

Different male peacocks should go fine together amongst the yellows.
If you want a bit of blue in the tank, have you considered blue dolphins? Quite nice fish and should get along with the others.
Otherwise everything seems okay

I'll look the Blue Dolphins up.

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users