How I See Next Couple Of Steps In Space Colonization

space business

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 boops

boops
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:03 AM

As desirable as Mars may be heard arguments from one of the NASA lads that outlined the problems with Mars as opposed to a space station to me he won the argument . So how to make the money and pay the bills ?Now while I've been chipping away at what was childlike ignorance over the last couple of years in this subject ( if only I cared when I was going to School ) my confirmed knowledge is still quite shabby .

So when asteroid mining gets to the necessary level mine the appropriate asteroids to make a rotating space station .Ideally the station could be comprised of the levels of metals needed to kick start mars so that years down the track it can be totally recycled .Sending excess platinum group metals back to Earth.

Initially the space hub goes to a lagrange  points L4 or L5 .So   these stations rotate to produce Mars pseudo gravity and what ever pseudo gravity makes space sports the best they can be as well as microgravity games in the centre of spacestation .I think there's a international market worth many billions a year .They also do satellite recycling and or refurbishing for work .

So after x amount of years when they have more of a idea of the effects of Mars like gravity on the body and have advanced technical skills for living in space more .Put appropriately radiation  shielded space station on it's way to Mars on a coarse that's called a ballistic capture .Takes several more months but if your properly shielded the that seems ok .

Space station people get ferried to mars and the space station gets sent to Mars to get turned into desired infrastructure. Repeating process as often as needed improving each generation of space station until mars becomes self reliant for said elements.

#2 rx007

rx007
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:00 PM

Mine an astoroid for gold then finance the rest of the mission. Where would you keep fish in space?
Elron Musk has rockets landing upright ready to refuel & relaunch so anything is possible.

#3 boops

boops
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 November 2017 - 01:09 PM

Don't see why they can't keep fish in space very good food to body mass converters for food , anybody eaten their koi or tilapia ?Vasimr doing a 100 hr test next year that's another potentially huge thing happening .

#4 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 27 November 2017 - 06:29 PM

Wonder if they could produce anything worth a lot in zero gravity. I thought they were looking into this a while back.

#5 smirq

smirq
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 November 2017 - 06:59 PM

Mine an astoroid for gold then finance the rest of the mission. Where would you keep fish in space?
Elron Musk has rockets landing upright ready to refuel & relaunch so anything is possible.

Gold would be worthless unless they drip fed it into the market (like diamonds).

You'd need to find whatever is needed for the next generation of propulsion - https://www.space.co...eroid-mars.html

Whatever minerals needed to make space travel more efficient will take the place of oil as the primary commodity / currency. Leaving or entering orbit is always expensive so whoever can make it cheap enough for convoys of raw material and workers/robots to move around will cash in big time. More likely the refining and manufacturing will also be done in orbit to reduce the commute.

Recent scifi series played with the concept - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3230854/

Decent ratings (8.3)

#6 boops

boops
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 November 2017 - 10:57 PM

If fusion happens down the track and there splitting the water anyhow I was thinking a space temperature centrifuge to get the deuterium .Haven't heard them talking about that yet could be a good earner that stuffs pretty expensive .Could get space condition to be beneficial for that process .If Mars goes ahead Argon might make a nice backload for the ion propulsion .

Edited by boops, 27 November 2017 - 11:04 PM.

#7 boops

boops
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 December 2017 - 06:21 PM

watched that Expanse series one .I'ts  ok .Thought they would more likely go subterranean on Mars coupling mining tunnels targeting asteroid strikes with housing .Doesn't look as appealing on promotion .Wondering how farming would go in  volcano  calderas utilizing mirrors on the caldera walls to get more sunlight . Wondering how much radiation reduction you'd get from having it recessed .Reduce dust storm impacts .Still we have no idea on low g until many years of testing . Different genetics handling the various problems possibly . 

#8 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 23 December 2017 - 11:17 AM

Makes you wonder why they just don’t go ahead. Yeah, expensive but why not go for it.

#9 boops

boops
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 December 2017 - 05:56 PM

Paying the bills .I think Mars one was lofty in expecting science based interest ( over the long term) to pay the mission. Sports can capture the greater public which might make it more feasible to the get a lot more tax dollars for space budgets .Wondering whether it could get rivalry going that chews into military budgets .I know expenditure went up heaps in the first space race don't know how much came from military budgets .

If they work out space station construction and management closer to home first it could give them a nice fall back option while trying to settle mars from a establisher space station later on .Plus small thorium reactors seem a while off they seem to be the goods for Mars and further away from the sun .

Edited by boops, 29 December 2017 - 06:20 PM.

#10 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 01 January 2018 - 08:20 PM

If they got baseball or something going on in teams comps on the stations I reckon they could be rolling in advertising money

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users