Photo

Malawi Hawk Cichlids?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CichlidSavage

CichlidSavage
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 October 2016 - 10:18 AM

Watching vids on youtube saw the aquatic giant called the malawi hawk cichlid (Aristochromis Christyi). I haven't personally seen one of these and hear that they are pretty rare??? :huh:. Anyway i thought these fish would be cool to own with my other Venustus and Cyrtocara moorii (blue dolphin) cichlids as apparently they go ok with eachother: 

This is the species with some description: http://www.smithsaquarium.com.au/fish/african-cichlids/lake-malawi/malawi-hawk-p-281.php 

:)  :)  :)

For some reason clicking the link dosen't quite work so you may have to copy paste. Sorry bout that..... :wacko:

Attached Files

#2 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 29 October 2016 - 10:49 AM

Not as rare as they used to be mate. Aqoutix had some adults in their top tanks and a couple people breeding over east so you should source some with a little effort.

I had a colony of these guys about 6 years ago now but unfortunately had to sell up. In regards to tank mates they are fine with anything big enough not to be considered food. Mine were actually very peaceful fish and I had no issue with more than one coloured up male in the tank.

Pretty easy to breed once of age and decent sized clutches - mine were averaging about 80 fry per mouthful and they were dead easy to raise.

One interesting thing, I was raising fry from about 1.5cm out the mouth and into an ibc cut in half with an inch and a half of coral sand on the bottom to grow them out to about 4-5 cm. they grew quick and the first time I went to fetch some out and sell them off, I had about 50 juvies in the ibc. I grabbed a couple of nets and started to herd them into a corner to collect and fetched a few on the first swipe and went to bag them. When I went back to the ibc I couldn't see a single fish in there and I wondered wtf they had gone. It took about 5 minutes and then they started appearing again. I watched closely and as I moved the nets the juvies were diving into the sand substrate to bury themselves and then wriggling up to expose just their eye on the surface of the substrate. As I looked closer I could see all these tiny eyes looking at me from the sand. I'd never heard of this in the Aristochromis and the adults never did anything like it but in the absence of a mothers mouth to shelter them, the fry had either learnt or instinctively knew how to find shelter in the substrate. I thought it was pretty cool.

Great fish, I hope you get some ;)

#3 humbug

humbug
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 October 2016 - 05:48 AM

Obviously see if you can find some locally first, but if you don't have any luck, I'm aware of an adult colony in Sydney that is likely available.  Message me if you are interested, and I can put you in contact with the owner. 

#4 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 October 2016 - 08:59 PM

One of my fav species. Great hunting position and absolutely amazing to watch.
I noticed that behavior in semi adults as well Brett. So quick to dive under the sand, if you do find any in WA please let me know. I would love to see this species around in numbers again.
I believe there was a breeder over here but they would send them East and then shops over here would pay double to get them back here.

#5 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 October 2016 - 09:19 PM

That use to happen often with many fish actually,,, as Ken Harvey supplied some shops here,, and a few breeders here was supplying him fish also.

#6 CichlidSavage

CichlidSavage
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 November 2016 - 05:57 PM

wow, didn't think a fish like this could have such characteristics!.....Anyway thx for that info guys would like to see some breeding too around here just thought it would be great to get something different into the tank that's all :D

Anyway price-wise these fish aren't too bad....just above average or what?

Thx for telling us where they are at these days, really appreciate it!!! :)  :)  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users