Photo

Vitalis - Cichlid Grazer

13 replies to this topic

#1 Stormfyre

Stormfyre

Sausage enthusiast

• Admin

Posted 02 December 2016 - 02:59 PM

So I stopped by Aquotix today and bought some Vitalis - Rift lake green - Cichlid Grazers.

IMG_5608.jpg

These are great. Not too much mess into the water, fun to watch and full of goodness.

I grabbed  a small tub 110gm to try out. It comes with a suction cup and you place the Cichlid Grazer onto it and stick it to the glass inside your aquarium. then sit back and enjoy the excitement.

IMG_5607.jpg

My Tropheus sp. Red "Chimpimbi" absolutely demolished it. It lasts quite a fair while as a feed for a small ring. The rings are soft and chewy in texture. It's great to see Tropheus grazing as they would naturally.

IMG_5611.jpg

On the website it says it's great for other species such as Labeotropheus, Labidochromis, Mbuna, Melanochromis, Metriaclima, Pseudotropheus, Tropheus.

"Tailored to meet the lower protein requirements of grazing herbivorous cichlid species. Our grazing diet delivers key nutrients from a blend of high quality algae in a stable feeding ring. This reduces waste and encourages your fish to exhibit a natural feeding behaviour."

I think the product is awesome and if you have Tropheus, or some of the other species listed, give it a goo too.

This was a video of some Tropheus feeding on it at Aquotix.

#2 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 December 2016 - 03:02 PM

Been using vitalis for my big fish and rays of late. Very impressed with it, fish love it too. Only down side for me is it makes the water cloudy after a heavy feeding.

#3 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:33 PM

Might have to give this a try - nice write up

#4 Mattia

Mattia

1st International Club Member

• PCS Club Member

Posted 02 December 2016 - 09:07 PM

Been using vitalis for my big fish and rays of late. Very impressed with it, fish love it too. Only down side for me is it makes the water cloudy after a heavy feeding.

Lol Jules, after a heavy feeding water goes cloudy even in big public aquariums :P

I also love the Vitalis food, I feed the grazer to the tropheus and used to feed it to all the mbunas back in Italy at the cichlid farm , it helps slow down the aggression especially in tropheus tanks as it keeps them busy for quite a while :)
I am the one that convinced Arj from Addicted2Fish to import it ;)

#5 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 December 2016 - 09:45 AM

Looks a lot like New Era, hows it differ? as i found the feeding ring of New Era fowled the water to much.

#6 Mattia

Mattia

1st International Club Member

• PCS Club Member

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:50 AM

Vitalis is the new name for New Era - they changed it only recently...
but the "old" new era grazer was double the size of the current one- they halved it now so is thinner and doesn't dirty the water so much :)

#7 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 03 December 2016 - 12:47 PM

Oh I didn't realise it's the new era. When that person from South Aus hopped on here to promote it, I got the green and the red packs from Aquotix. I found it to be great food, and I used less of this than some other brands as the fish looked fuller for longer.

#8 Stormfyre

Stormfyre

Sausage enthusiast

• Admin

Posted 05 December 2016 - 01:49 PM

yes, New Era is now Vitalis. It doesnt dirty the water for me. I never used the old ones.

#9 Addicted2Fish

Addicted2Fish
  • Sponsor

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:46 PM

Hi Mattia, and thanks for convincing me to grab the Grazer. :rolleyes:  To be honest, I wasn't a big fan of it simply because I believed that there was too much food for fish to consume and that it would eventually lead to a massive bacterial bloom due to nutrient take up by the bacteria in the filters.

Anyway, the thinner ones work really well. 

Thanks again for your support guys! It's greatly appreciated and allows us to bring in more innovative products to our shores.  I'm a hobbyist also and been keeping fish for a very long time.  My personal username is Chilli Powder and is still active on this site. Must check what my member number is because I'm member number 9 or something similar on one of the Sydney ones! LOL -- just to confirm.. I'm not that old though  :lol:  :lol:

Cheers

Arj

#10 chrishaigh82

chrishaigh82
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:55 AM

The grazers are the bomb :)  I find although the tropheus are quick they don't get a good go at the flakes unless I turn off my pump to stop them ending up in the sump.  It's also a good time to take a picture of them and try and count how many you have.

#11 chrishaigh82

chrishaigh82
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 29 May 2017 - 11:48 PM

The grazers are the bomb :)  I find although the tropheus are quick they don't get a good go at the flakes unless I turn off my pump to stop them ending up in the sump.  It's also a good time to take a picture of them and try and count how many you have.

aabcea25d1c5af349344f831ff0001ef.jpgec1bd4165cd898193bed46a891cee48f.jpg23061f25314dad17209d3b01f6e31974.jpg

Incase any one missed my prior posts our tropheus love the vitalis grazers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 30 May 2017 - 11:47 AM

Just out of interest can they be used in other tropical (tetras, barbs, catfish, etc, etc) tanks?

Mine get most of their grazing requirements off the plants and want more variety :( It's pretty bad when angelfish are having a go at plants as they go in :(

#13 chrishaigh82

chrishaigh82
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 30 May 2017 - 02:18 PM

The grazers I use are the herbivore ones which is just spirulina, seems pretty clean as it doesn't much up the water too badly, and should be fine for any vego's

#14 sajica

sajica

Quiz Meister 2016 & 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 30 May 2017 - 02:56 PM

Just out of interest can they be used in other tropical (tetras, barbs, catfish, etc, etc) tanks?

Mine get most of their grazing requirements off the plants and want more variety :( It's pretty bad when angelfish are having a go at plants as they go in :(

They do a tropical community grazer too. :)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users