Oscar/cichlid Expert

Oscar cichlid

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Bugzey

Bugzey
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:39 PM

Just want to find someone who knows a ton about oscars or American cichlids and could help me identify problems and other cichlid related problems, as my oscars have had a white patch on their fins for a few weeks now doesn't seem to be irritating, but has seemed to become more white and other patches appear. I have treated with pimafix, Melafix and had them in a hospital tank with salt but it's still there, and I don't know what it could be anymore. Any help appreciated. Thanks :)

#2 TheTexasCichlidMasacre

TheTexasCichlidMasacre
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:25 PM

Post a picture of it ? <br /><br /><br /> PowPow

#3 TheTexasCichlidMasacre

TheTexasCichlidMasacre
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:30 PM

Without pictures one thing that springs to mind is something like flexibater columnaris which people usually mix up with a fungal problem .., melafix is not strong enough for a bacterial infection like this one imo<br /><br /><br /> PowPow

#4 Bugzey

Bugzey
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 November 2014 - 09:17 PM

It's been like this for a few weeks now, it's on other pectoral fin now but very faintly. Sorry about crap quality.

Attached Files

#5 TheTexasCichlidMasacre

TheTexasCichlidMasacre
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 20 November 2014 - 09:26 PM

is that the only fin it has a white thing on?

#6 Bugzey

Bugzey
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:34 AM

There's the same sort of patch forming on other pectoral fin but it is still very faint.

#7 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 November 2014 - 11:42 AM

Chuck a dose of Multicure in the hospital tank. Ive used that with antibiotics before when I havent been able to work out whether something is fungal or bacterial.

#8 Bugzey

Bugzey
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:33 PM

Alrite sweet just did water change I There too. Thanks for the help and I'll see how the treatment goes and get back to you if it was successful or not

#9 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 November 2014 - 05:29 PM

Lymphocystis.

Look it up, a lot has been written on it. It is a viral infection.

#10 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 November 2014 - 01:41 AM

Just had the same problem with a couple of pond goldfish, it's a shame but it happens.... I copied a short bit from Wikipedia for you :)

Cheers
Rigs

Lymphocystis is a common viral disease of freshwater and saltwater fish.

Aquarists often come across this virus when their fish are stressed such as when put into a new environment and the virus is able to grow.

The fish starts growing small white pin-prick like growths on their fins or skin and this is often mistaken for Ich/Ick (Ichthyophthirius multifiliis) in the early stages. It soon clumps together to form a cauliflower-like growth on the skin, fins, and occasional gills.

There is no known treatment for this virus, though some aquarists recommend surgery to remove the affected area if it is very serious.

Eventually the growths inhibit the fish's ability to swim, breathe or eat, and secondary bacterial infections usually kills the fish.

Usually the best cure is to simply give the fish a stress free life, a weekly bacteria treatment and the virus will slowly subside and the fins will repair themselves. This can take many months.

#11 Bugzey

Bugzey
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 November 2014 - 01:54 PM

Thanks guys I've done a bit of research on it now and I think that is what they do have, on this website http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa181 it says that it clears up in a few weeks as long as water is good and the fish are healthy. My two oscars are the only two fish who seem to have it and there in a 40L hospital tank with salt added, it 28 degrees Celsius and it has an eheim 2213 running on it, I am doing weekly water changes and feeding them about 1/2 a tsp of food every two days. Anyone have any suggestions on dealing with Lymphocystis or treated it before? Thanks

#12 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 November 2014 - 10:48 PM

I've only ever had experience treating it with koi and goldfish, mixed results, the majority end up with a few lumps but they don't seem to bother the fish much. All we used was salts.. I can take quite a while for fins to heal but it will happen, as for any larger lumps I don't know of any way to get rid of them..

Sounds like you're doing everything right so far, just keep an eye on em and see how they go in their hospital tank, if they start to look better you could probably pop em back in your main tank and do a bacteria treatment every so often just to keep any infections at bay.

Hope it goes well for you mate

#13 Bugzey

Bugzey
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 December 2014 - 04:35 PM

They seem to be doing ok they now just both have a patch (like the one I showed before) on a fin and haven't had any signs of other patches so seems good

#14 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 December 2014 - 08:29 PM

Nice one mate, sound like you caught it early enough it hasn't caused too much damage, now just maintain the conditions for your oscars and they should live long and happy fish lives :)

#15 Bugzey

Bugzey
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:42 PM

Ok good. Thanks for the help everyone

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Oscar, cichlid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users