Photo

Classifieds Guidelines - discussion thread

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#21 Neddy

Neddy
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:34 PM

Hey juls can you post pics via your Iphone? Because I don't think I can via my phone and I along with many others I'm sure, can only access the site via our phones. With what your proposing we would be unable to use the classifieds because we do not have a computer.....?

..........cue sj lol

#22 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:46 PM

One thing that annoys me is when people write "google" in the pictures field of the template. Nowhere else do you see this, not gumtree, not carsales. When I'm after used car model X I don't want to see a brochure picture, I want to see a picture of the car you're selling me. Same with fish, I don't want to see species pics on Google, I want to see photos of the fish you're selling me. From that I can hopefully tell whether or not they are healthy, worth a trip or worth the money you're asking.

I agree that prices should be posted. It's common sense. You gotta have some idea of what you want for the fish you're selling.

#23 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:51 PM

And ever more annoying when people ask for offers and you take the time to pm them saying your interested in the fish ask a few questions and ask for a price and they reply with. " make an offer ".

#24 mattt

mattt
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:55 PM

Asked a couple people for pics recently, also stating i dont wish to "google", they refused. Needless to say i gave my money to someone else.

#25 tranced

tranced
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:02 PM

i agree the google thing is sometimes stupid, but then you get things like a bristlenose catfish, where 99% of them actually look like the picture on google!! and personally i think EOI are annoying as well, i mean you can guarantee that thread is going to get repeatedly bumped by people posting "how much u want". kind of a smart way to sell things as you can be sure your post will stay on the front page a bit longer as people try to figure out how much you actually want for your fish!! it would be ok if peopel stuck to using the PM system to make offers... but i dont see that happening anytime soon hahaha

#26 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:05 PM

lol! I hope you guys aren't referring to my 2 recent EOI posts... biggrin.gif

Sorry, but it was spur of the moment thing, and I'm not totally sure hence why it's EOI etc... and I've posted enough pics on this forum and I'm sure most people have seen my setups/fish either on the forums or in person.

#27 mattt

mattt
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:09 PM

no need to apologise, EOI are a part of the classifieds..... those few who dont like it can ignore it...

#28 Juls

Juls
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:05 PM

QUOTE (Neddy @ Feb 23 2011, 12:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey juls can you post pics via your Iphone? Because I don't think I can via my phone and I along with many others I'm sure, can only access the site via our phones.

There is a myriad of aftermarket browsers for IPhone on the App Store that allow file management including file upload, although I agree safari is not capable, but then Safari isn't capable of alot of things. Which one works with PCS forum i havn't tried i have a $250 netbook to do that when my $1000 Iphone can't, If you have a IPhone and not a computer then how do you back your IPhone up? How did you activate it when it was new? did you have to go to the Apple Store?

------
On Another note:

EOI is important part of the Classifieds without question, but there is no legitimate need to not include prices,

Example of a acceptable EOI.

"I'm considering selling these items, if i decide to sell the items to an interested party i would like $XXX for them".

Example of a NOT acceptable EOI.

"I'm considering selling these items, i might sell them if someone offers me enough money".(inferred or otherwise)

If you feel the second one is how you want to trade your item, there is a place called Ebay, they have online Auctions, or drag your stuff to a PCS Club Auction.

PCS Classifieds should not be a place to run backwards Auctions, it clogs up the forum and makes the experience worse for everyone but the seller trying to squeeze every cent out of the buyer. You can still negotiate with your buyer if you list a price.

Listings with prices sell faster, Listings with prices and pictures even faster again, not to even mention the benefits to the function of the forum and the end user experience.

everybody benefits if all listings meet a certain standard that makes each one equal to the next and easy to understand.

I'm sorry if this upsets some people, i don't think it's asking too much, it's not hard, people don't die by spending 2 more minutes creating there listing.

Standard practices on other forums are templates, prices and pictures, many of the most successful forum classifieds each listing is vetted by a moderator before it goes up, so dodgy posts don't even make it there.

However these forums:

1. Do Not Delete posts without notice to offenders. (the post is held and the offender nicely asked to change there post to meet guidelines.)
2. Make Sure everyone must read forum guidelines before being able to make there for classified post.
3. Ensure new posters make 10 or more useful posts (not just random jibber jabber) before being allowed to post in classifieds. (they can still buy items, just not sell)

I know that small changes like including a picture could make things more difficult for the "less computer literate" it doesn't have to be the end of the world, I'm sure we can arrange help for anyone that is having difficulty making there post meet guidelines. We could easily make tutorials up and sticky them.

At this point in time though i'm not too fussed about pictures maybe at a later date this can be looked at.,

but i do think the prices thing needs to be looked at now, it seems soon as one person posts a item without a price, suddenly a whole heap of people starting doing it and suddenly the classifieds goes bonkers with reply posts that are not useful on listings that lack information.

Juls

#29 Kieran

Kieran
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:22 PM

I agree. Price or delete.

I would go one step further and make the classifieds like the MASA 'RTAW' forums ones. They are real ads basically; you make your ad, post it, people click on the heading / picture and it takes you to a screen with the ad details, but no way to comment or discuss the sale. This means the classifieds there work just like classifieds in a paper or the quokka: you see the ad, you contact the seller, you buy the item.

The classifieds is for selling, not for discussions.

-----

On a side note, I've often wondered if people could include their suburb in the topic title on their classifieds thread. Bunbury sales are of little use to people in Two Rocks, etc etc. For example mine would be: [Kwinarnia] FS: Adult Discus Pairs

#30 gilz

gilz
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:30 PM

The good thing about that is it becomes the sellers responsibilty to make the ad good and informative. Otherwise it probably won't sell.
Having said that I can't stand their classifieds section.

#31 Juls

Juls
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:38 PM

Moderator vetting of each post Before it goes live is the best way to tackle it, it will mean you make your post and it might not be approved for up to 6 hours, but bogus posts won't see the light of day which keeps the classifieds clean.

Posts that don't meet the guidelines the poster will be notified and they will have to try again, and keep trying till they get it right, only one way to learn.

I don't believe in just deleting posts without notice.

I would quite happily spend a hour a day vetting the classifieds posts, i'm here everyday as it is.

Juls

Edited by Juls, 22 February 2011 - 11:39 PM.

#32 Kieran

Kieran
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:47 PM

We do it anyway for at least an hour a day, retroactively. I don't see why it couldn't happen before they get posted.

#33 Neddy

Neddy
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:25 AM

Hey juls, sorry probably should of clarified I have a samsung galaxy s not an iphone. A conventional smartphone which doesn't need a computer to activate and I can back up into my sd card tongue.gif anybody else use android to upload pics? If so how?

#34 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:40 AM

I upload pics with Samsung Galaxy S to Facebook then copy image location to here and wrap in img tags wink.gif
I get FB free with Optus so its not costing me to upload.

Other than that, you would have to get from the SD card and upload to Photobucket.com, then get the image code and paste it here.

#35 Kieran

Kieran
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2011 - 11:43 AM

There is an iPhone photobucket app too, so you can do it from iPhone too.

#36 Barf

Barf
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 23 February 2011 - 12:16 PM

how about the ad is locked, any questions by pm, then seller can modify posts to add anything missing.
then if seller doesnt have enough info its their pm box that gets a workout not the classifieds.

#37 OrangeBemba

OrangeBemba
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:46 PM

100% Agree with you Barf.

Fantastic Idea.

No more chatting in the classifieds section.

#38 highlucks

highlucks
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2011 - 03:21 PM

You guys do realize that you have the option to lock your own threads in the classifieds.

#39 OrangeBemba

OrangeBemba
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2011 - 03:28 PM

yeah that is true, everyone can lock their own thread.

However thats not really the point is it.

#40 Sarah Jayne

Sarah Jayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2011 - 03:29 PM

Only financial members have the option of locking their own thread.

(edit - spelling)

Edited by Sarah Jayne, 30 July 2011 - 10:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users