Filter Media

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 cornish cream

cornish cream
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:00 PM

Hi guys

Just wondered if anybody has tried some filter media I have seen on youtube, called Biohome Ultimate. Has anybody tried it out, if so what do you think. If not, check out the vids by some guy who goes by the name of Pondguru,

He runs a company called Tyne Valley Aquatics in the UK. And sells the stuff on ebay, be interesting to hear other peoples opinions of it. Looks and sounds like it might be quite good stuff.

#2 ibm450

ibm450
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:54 AM

yeah ive seen this on youtube also ^_^ , and am very interested to try it out and will be heading out to vebas and aquatix to query about it. 

the concept makes alot of sense and he explains the process of how filtration should work. i never thought of anaerobic bacteria before.

its abit pricey on ebay as you have to pay for the postage

has anyone else looked into this?

http://youtu.be/QGI-ybQoJmg      explains the media types

http://youtu.be/OIrQ_RWGRKI     makes alot more sense here

#3 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:45 PM

It's nothing new, just a fancy name for media. As long as you use porous media you will get the same result, for example coral.

#4 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:17 PM

Honestly, I dont see the point in paying more for something that MAY be marginally better. If bio-filtration improvement is critical to you then you are better off actually upgrading your filter  (Media capacity, flow rates, etc). What's the point in upping the efficiency by 3/5 of f*#k all. If you are already close to maxing your filter out then the small improvement wont really get you out of the danger zone.

To my way of thinking always buy/make a better filter than you need. Saves so much trouble and money. 

#5 ibm450

ibm450
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:53 PM

fair enough.

got a reply from him and this is what he had to say:

We're actively looking for a supplier in Australia as the demand there is big but so is the shipping cost for small orders sent from UK. There have been a couple of companies in Australia interested but then go quiet when we ask for a minimum order of 100kg so they were likely just hobbyists. At present it would be sent from UK but when a distributor becomes available in Australia I will add details in any associated video descriptions. I'm hoping to do that with a supplier from the US today.

#6 Morley Aquariums

Morley Aquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:31 PM

Interesting, i would swear that the original biohome media was actually a product from western australia. I used to sell it 20+ years ago ( looks a bit like a dog biscuit). The guy who had it sent most overseas. They had one called biohome plus that was a plant nutrient biomedia, i used it in a 2' tank & by far the best plant growth i have had. I think i still actually have it somewhere at home.
Think it was the same mob that sell lysofoss.

#7 ibm450

ibm450
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:14 AM

Interesting, i would swear that the original biohome media was actually a product from western australia. I used to sell it 20+ years ago ( looks a bit like a dog biscuit). The guy who had it sent most overseas. They had one called biohome plus that was a plant nutrient biomedia, i used it in a 2' tank & by far the best plant growth i have had. I think i still actually have it somewhere at home.
Think it was the same mob that sell lysofoss.

So you reckon its a waste of time.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

#8 Morley Aquariums

Morley Aquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:34 AM

Not a waste of time as it is a good media, however there are many, many good medias on the market locally so cannot see any need to import. You should never have a filter so small that media efficiency becomes a priority as mentioned in earlier posts by others.

#9 ibm450

ibm450
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:34 AM

Not a waste of time as it is a good media, however there are many, many good medias on the market locally so cannot see any need to import. You should never have a filter so small that media efficiency becomes a priority as mentioned in earlier posts by others.

thanks paul for the insight and for the info earlier on over the phone.

your full of knowledge and ill recommend u to others.

regards

tolga

Edited by ibm450, 16 January 2014 - 10:35 AM.

#10 JackMack

JackMack
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:14 PM

Have you tried Marinepure spheres Paul? If so what's your opinion on them?

#11 Morley Aquariums

Morley Aquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:32 PM

Not tried them. I am a simple guy & basically happy to use anything with sufficient surface area. Lots of hype about many medias, but basically as long as you get no ammonia or nitrite it works. Still love coral bits, matrix & ehfisubstrat.
Have not tried suspended medias, but hear great things.

#12 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:25 AM

Porous = good, and it's porous so it must be good, now is it worth the price they ask compared to other cheaper porous media. Only you can answer that as it's your money.

#13 ellie

ellie
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:11 AM

can u use coral media in a freshwater tank cannister?

#14 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:42 PM

can u use coral media in a freshwater tank cannister?

Certainly can - I guess depends on what purpose you were thinking of. I've mainly seen crushed coral used to buffer low ph/kh (eg on cycling tanks that had a ph crash).

I've tended to either hang a small bag at filter outlet (I hate pulling out the canister filters) or just added cuttlebone (sometimes took a bit to sink).

Handy to have a kh test kit imo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users