Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

Photo

Clown Loaches Or Pleco? 4 Foot Tang Tank.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 October 2015 - 09:01 AM

So I'm setting up my tang 4 footer and I will be stocking it with some Cyprichromis Livua 'jumbo'. I was wanting other tangs but breeding the cyp's is my main goal.

So I was wondering if there were any pleco I could put in the tank, I was looking not for rare exotics but something different to the usual bristlenose or peppermint pleco, it would also be good if they wouldn't prey on fry. (If that's possible)

Also wondering if some clown loaches would work or will they eat the fry?

One who throws dirt is loosing ground ~Confucius

#2 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 October 2015 - 12:14 AM

loaches will def prey on small fry.... get a gold spot or gibbi if you want something to clean the glass and left over food up....

#3 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 October 2015 - 01:28 AM

loaches will def prey on small fry.... get a gold spot or gibbi if you want something to clean the glass and left over food up....

Sorry but I'm 14 so maybe have to be a bit more specific (Gibbi?), please have a small list of a couple of pleco that can go in a tanganyikan tank that won't prey on fry, won't get any bigger than 20cm and that looks nice (weird patterns and colours!) Sorry to be so specific I have about 0.00000000001% of my brain taken up for pleco, it me saying "oh look a pleco..." I have no knowledge in anything like this sorry!

#4 dicky7

dicky7
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 October 2015 - 12:04 PM

You obviously have the internet lex a little research there will help in your search for the best set up and types of fish and names  Not trying to dampen your enthusiasim  but a little searching will help and be surprised at what you might see on the way

#5 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 October 2015 - 09:32 PM

You obviously have the internet lex a little research there will help in your search for the best set up and types of fish and names  Not trying to dampen your enthusiasim  but a little searching will help and be surprised at what you might see on the way

well I'm looking in quite a small are of fish, so I was just wanting some knowledge and experience to feed off!

I'll check out planet catfish and try to riding a search!

#6 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 October 2015 - 10:50 PM

Sorry but I'm 14 so maybe have to be a bit more specific (Gibbi?), please have a small list of a couple of pleco that can go in a tanganyikan tank that won't prey on fry, won't get any bigger than 20cm and that looks nice (weird patterns and colours!) Sorry to be so specific I have about 0.00000000001% of my brain taken up for pleco, it me saying "oh look a pleco..." I have no knowledge in anything like this sorry!

not much in that catergory other than b/n and whiptails... which incidently are plecos anyway.... 

and ps... no need to quote a post directly above your reply... only quote when its not....

#7 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 October 2015 - 11:27 PM

Whiptails look really nice, are they ok to go in a tanganyikan tank? Are they fairly common/cheap?

Didn't know that I don't need to quote everything oops lol!

#8 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 October 2015 - 12:03 AM

quoting the above post isnt necessary... :) 

whiptails - cheap - nothings cheap these days.... and compatibility depends on how aggressive your tangs are and their size and also which whiptail you want and its size also...

#9 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 October 2015 - 01:55 AM

Synodontis petricola.
Keep trading in your flametails till you've clocked up enough to trade for.

The syno never ate my tropheus fry,, but it depends what species of fry.
If your thinking the tang cichlids won't eat the fry once released in tank then think again, as they're not much different to Malawi in most cases.

#10 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:39 AM

I'm keeping Cyprichromis leptosoma Livua 'jumbo' and have done plenty of research to find out they don't eat their own fry! I also asked the breeder and they said that all the people who buy them have no problems with breeding. They also said that their fry don't survive because they have heaps of other fish in the tank!

#11 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 October 2015 - 10:09 PM

Cyps usually dont eat fry yes, but you'll find not attending to and not segregating fry, will result in very little survival.

#12 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 October 2015 - 05:51 PM

And other reasons why fry will be minimal?

#13 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 October 2015 - 09:43 PM

Newly dispatched fry needs to be grouped together and nurtured in order to receive required food intake.
Mother loses condition.
Wacky stuff happens when fry are dispersed,, Trapped in places

#14 Rodders02

Rodders02
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 October 2015 - 08:57 PM

Lex I kept clowns for a few years with yo yo loaches, red tail sharks and angelfish. The yo yo s are very cool and I highly recommend them as they are very active and eat like pigs, you can also keep lots together and I got them at aquoatix for $5 or $6 bucks each. My clowns grew very very slowly but tried to eat my angelfish eggs and hid a lot but have good colours(unfortunately mine died don't know why just had a spasm and passed sadly). Red tails were pretty cool, mine hid ALOT, but came out at night. I put some guppies in and it killed themwhich was unexpected. I had a rainbow shark before my retail which was a lot more active and I personally liked it better but I jumped out of the tank a week later so I got a red tail. As for angels they get pretty aggressive and do best on their own.

Hope this helps,
cheers, Tom

#15 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:31 PM

Bringing this back up, because I'm really lost and have some algae that is getting a bit too comfortable, I did plenty of research but all the Pleco I'm looking for are too expensive!

I'm looking for some fancy like a l081 or a l333, but can't be spending a fortune. I might not even grab a pleco maybe a whiptail or something else.

My tank has 6x Cyprichromis Leptosoma livua jumbo and 6x (ophtolmatilapia) boops neon streak.

I'm really stuck here...

What I'm looking for
Compatible with nicer tangs
Looks fancy
Not and arm and a leg
Ph of 9+
Can eat algae efficiently
Preferably pleco (open to suggestions)

#16 kassysimon

kassysimon
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 December 2015 - 04:10 PM

Bristlenose. Cheap and effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#17 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 December 2015 - 04:30 PM

Yeah we have plenty... Just wanted something fancy but they are pretty efficient little fellas.

#18 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 December 2015 - 09:12 AM

Are whiptails efficient? I saw some at the aquarium gallery!

#19 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 December 2015 - 03:27 PM

Nothing beats BNs for algae cleaning. I just offloaded my big plecco, he was in a 6ft tank but just made too much mess.. Love the loaches :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users