Photo

Keeping Mulloway

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Jeromy_Syndrome

Jeromy_Syndrome
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 August 2007 - 05:58 PM

Hey guys im investing in a mulloway and I want to know if anyone has kept them before and share some knowledge, keeping it at 10ppt brackish.

I read on a species profile that they can live in pure fresh although my lecturers advised me against it, has anyone kept them in pure fresh??

Cheers Jeromy

#2 Managuense

Managuense
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 August 2007 - 06:10 PM

how big of a tank is he going to be housed in???

#3 Jeromy_Syndrome

Jeromy_Syndrome
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 August 2007 - 06:15 PM

10cm mulloway 4x2x2 tank i am looking into a 8x3x2.5 or at least a 6x2x2 in 6 months so it should be ok.

#4 Managuense

Managuense
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 August 2007 - 11:03 PM

well you and i both know from the aquaculture class that they will do alot better in the salt.

#5 MONSTAF1SH

MONSTAF1SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 September 2007 - 12:20 AM

Thats sounds very cool would love to see that. 8)

#6 Jeromy_Syndrome

Jeromy_Syndrome
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 September 2007 - 03:17 AM

if you had tony you would know that mulloway do better at a lower salinity using less energy for the active diffusion or salt. therefore more energy for growing.

Jezza

#7 Managuense

Managuense
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 September 2007 - 07:35 AM

Peter has mentioned that to me when discussing the salinaty level of the Juvenile Black Bream.
I'm not saying they will do the best in heavy salinised salt water but they will do better with at least some salt in the tank.

#8 Jeromy_Syndrome

Jeromy_Syndrome
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 September 2007 - 09:59 AM

true true

#9 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 September 2007 - 11:23 AM

now that would be an intresting fish to keep

#10 Jeromy_Syndrome

Jeromy_Syndrome
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 September 2007 - 01:01 PM

I have a good idea. I think that a few of us should get one at the same time and same size and keep them ni different conditions and record what happens to make it easier for people to keep these fish. It is so hard to find a good reference to keeping these in aquariums. Ill be getting one in a couple of weeks, anyone else interested??? i can get them cheap

#11 madasa

madasa
  • Banned

Posted 01 September 2007 - 02:26 PM

(Jeromy_Syndrome)
I have a good idea. I think that a few of us should get one at the same time and same size and keep them ni different conditions and record what happens to make it easier for people to keep these fish. It is so hard to find a good reference to keeping these in aquariums. Ill be getting one in a couple of weeks, anyone else interested??? i can get them cheap

Is that morally or ethically right for the one / s that are in the incorrect warer?

Just a Q not a judgement.

Pete

#12 MatHarvey

MatHarvey
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 September 2007 - 02:45 PM

hey,
i used to feed the mulloway in the main tank at AQWA. They were about 1.5 to 2 meters long. Packed a real bit too. I still have scars on my hand from them biting me. We grew up a small one (starting at 30cm). I only took 8 months for it to reach 80cm. So think... BIG tank. nice fish though!
biggrin.gif

mat

#13 Jeromy_Syndrome

Jeromy_Syndrome
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 September 2007 - 02:47 PM

Yes I understand you point and I shall explain my idea in more detail, we keep them in conditions that mulloway live in during their lives and see which is best for aquaria use of mulloway, I don't mean to put them in water conditions that are unsuitable for them, make them suffer or bad for their health, there are a wide range of conditions that mulloway live in, in the wild in terms of salinity and slightly temperature. Those factors are the ones that I would like to test for aquaria.

Sorry for any misunderstandings I do not intend to hurt any fish!

Regards Jeromy

#14 MONSTAF1SH

MONSTAF1SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 September 2007 - 05:10 PM

(madasa)
(Jeromy_Syndrome)

Is that morally or ethically right for the one / s that are in the incorrect warer?

Just a Q not a judgement.

Pete

Are you questioning whether it is ethical to keep brackish in fresh?
Just a question for you Pete what are you keeping those archer fish in brackish or fresh?
I know you've kept Scats before in fresh and they are brackish fish and they seemed to be quite happy. biggrin.gif

#15 Mudjimba

Mudjimba
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 September 2007 - 05:16 PM

Have caught Mulloway in salt water and also kilometers up stream in Mandurah(much smaller ones though).
Have also caught Mulloway (what I suspect may be a different species) on the Eastcoast also in both locations.
And also caught Black Jewfish in the NT 30 mile offshore and 30 mile up rivers.
So I see your point about them being able to live in fresh and salt.
I cannot provide any specific salinity measurements but would expect that the upstream locations were still quite brackish. But the NT location was not very salty upstream and during the run-off at the end of the wet season, but those tides up there do pack a punch.
I am interested in your little experiment but havn't any spare tanks, can't wait to hear how it goes.
cheers
Glenn

#16 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 September 2007 - 05:21 PM

Are you keeping them for aquaculture to eventually eat or just for a interest reason?

I allways thought mulloway where salt? A 4x2x2 would only cost like under $60 to fill with 1.025 hydrometer water.

My idea would be two IBC 1mx1mx1m container ($100 each) and have mulloway in them. If you could connect them together if not one can be filtration the other can be the tank or even just two mulloway tanks.

If you want some cheap pumps or some heavy duty stuff to filter it i would contact Michael he has some good stuff.

I wouldn't mind keeping some marine aquaculture fish, is it much different from my freshwater aquaculture fish? (Trout and Barramundi)

#17 Jeromy_Syndrome

Jeromy_Syndrome
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 September 2007 - 05:29 PM

I am purchasing a refractometer to measure my salinity levels. I do like that idea of seperate tubs with a big filter.
I am using my fish tank for mine.
I am getting it for recreational reasons for my aquarium but as I found it hard to find data on keeping these in aquariums i thought that myself and other PCS members could run a small recorded experiment on what are the optimum conditions to keep mulloway in aquariums and other safe variables like salinity.eg: people who want a mulloway but dont want to go brackish.

Jeromy

#18 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 September 2007 - 05:33 PM

Cool, I would love to be part of the experiment. We just need to work out a cheap place to buy alot of IBC's as some second hand ones may contain alot of nasties.

Do you plan on eating them once size? thats what i mean't not actually a full on aquaculture level. We are getting a 4000 liter setup for barramundi in summer and trout in winter. If you can successfully keep the mulloway alive in fresh or brackish i am very interested biggrin.gif

Anyone else going to attempt this?

#19 Jeromy_Syndrome

Jeromy_Syndrome
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 September 2007 - 05:37 PM

Mulloway grow faster in full salt water or just a bit lower than in brackish or fresh, it wouldnt be cost effective to have them out of optimum conditions

Jeromy

Be a cool thing to farm as well I just wonder what the maturing size is for mulloway?

#20 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 September 2007 - 06:38 PM

What size do you get them at?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users