Tank Mates For A Jardini

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 acerimmer

acerimmer
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:23 PM

Hey mates

Recently purchased a 6x2x2 tank, and a small Jardini, about 8-10cm. Just tryign to get some ideas and information for some tank mates.

Some of the ideas floating around in my head "without knowing what will work with what" are:

Birchirs
Clown Knife
Peacock Bass
Mangrove Jack
Some sort of catfish..

Just a bit unsure on ideas, cheers.

So far I'm liking the idea of a birchirs / a clown knife / a cat fish / ???

Edited by acerimmer, 12 September 2011 - 05:35 PM.

#2 zach16

zach16
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:35 PM

Hay mate if you have the spare cash biggrin.gif how about some of these motoro ray awsome fish man.

#3 acerimmer

acerimmer
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:41 PM

Good call! rays definitely interest me.. the knowledge of keeping them is just lacking on my part!. Going to have to start researching them up also!.

#4 zach16

zach16
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:21 PM

yeah man cool do some reasearch smile.gif

#5 Lachy

Lachy
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:03 PM

I think with the jack, you would want to get it in as early as possible an smaller then the sara, hopefully they would grow used to each other but i have seen fish before that years down the track just turn on the tank mates for reasons unknown only other thing is jacks also have a nice set of teeth on them and saras don't, so if there was some sparring i reckon a lot more damage would be don't to the sara size difference regardless (unless the jack fits in his mouth smile.gif)

In the end i reckon it would be worth a shot i think they would look really good together bear in mind though is that they are both pricy fish so a loss could be pretty disappointing
Hope that helped a little
Cheers Lachy

Edit - spelling etc

Edited by Lachy, 14 September 2011 - 07:04 PM.

#6 acerimmer

acerimmer
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:13 PM

Thanks for the info! on the hunt for a small Mangrove Jack / Peacock Bass.

Edited by acerimmer, 15 September 2011 - 05:14 PM.

#7 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:17 PM

Jacks don't really mix well with stuff, i remember reading on another forum where a bloke mixed a jack and a jardini and the jack ended up tearing the jardinis gill plate off. Not good.... Also im not sure that a jardini and peacock bass would mix very well either, small bass aren't exactly the toughest of fish and jardinis can get a bit agressive at times.

Give it a crack by all means though, never know you might get a well mannered jack! I think the trick is to give them plenty of other and bigger fish so they never gain dominance in the tank.... Thats tricky though because they grow very fast and very big tongue.gif

#8 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:36 PM

Saratoga most certainly have teeth.

Trick is to get tank mates that occupy a different level in the tank. Try catfish and bichirs.

Alex

#9 acerimmer

acerimmer
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:46 PM

Thanks for all the replies.

Yeah my Jadinis health / happiness definitely is going to come first, so all this info is helpful.

Always been keen on Birchirs, was thinking of adding a couple to the tank. If anyone comes across any being sold feel free to let me know, mostly interested in any except Senegal.

Just trying to find the right balance of getting fish I love and a happy tank. I think I can lock in at least one Birchir as an addition, bit unsure if I should proceed with a Pbass or Jack.. I love both fish a lot, but my little Jardini has to come first.

Dream catfish would be Lima Shovelnose / Tiger Shovelnose. I can't lock in any others right now that I'm really keen on adding to the tank, will have to do some more research.. probably not enough room for the TSN down the road anyway... 6x2x2.

Cheers, James.

Edited by acerimmer, 15 September 2011 - 11:52 PM.

#10 acerimmer

acerimmer
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:22 AM

Picked up a pair of Salmontail Cat juvies last weekend. Picking up the Jardini tomorrow. That's where I'm at so far.

Edited by acerimmer, 21 September 2011 - 12:23 AM.

#11 acerimmer

acerimmer
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:54 PM

Been up and running for a few weeks now. . . got a Jardini / 2x Salmontails and a Motoro x Pearl pup in there.

Motoro Pup

The damage you see on the left side of the disc was done inside the mothers belly, healing up nicely. I'll randomly take more pics / vids when I'm feeling it.

Edited by acerimmer, 11 October 2011 - 01:23 AM.

#12 joey

joey
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 October 2011 - 01:10 AM

thats cool man
um, i think 'peckoltia' has a few motoro's.
He should be able to answer some questions about caring for them

Joe

#13 acerimmer

acerimmer
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 October 2011 - 04:51 AM

Couldn't be more happy with how the ray has fit in... it's constantly burning around the tank, and eating a lot. Ate like 4 Hikari carnivore pellets after being in the tank a few hours! I've never kept them before, but it seems to be going great... just going to do like a quarter water change a week. The ray got stuck in between the heater/filter after the first couple hours... luckily I was watching, and fixed all potential trouble spots in the tank.

If you're wondering... yeah I like bare bottom.

Edited by acerimmer, 11 October 2011 - 01:20 AM.

#14 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:58 PM

Good to hear the ray is doing well. Like I said through PM watch the jardini, they have a habit of becoming a pain in time. Especially with potentially fragile 'fish' like a young ray. A Leichardti would probably of been a more appropriate choice. See how you get on in the long run.

I have 3 of my rays eating hikari sinking pellets and started to eat prawn. The other one will only eat live black worm at this stage. The size difference between the one who doesnt eat pellets and the others is quite visible now after only a couple weeks of having them. I'm amazed at how much the little guys have grown. They seem to have relatively small stomachs also. So they are voracious eaters but can't really consume the quantity that I am used to seeing in comparison to other similarly sized fish. Having said that, they seem to have quite a fast metabolism, and porcess what is being fed to them very quickly. So I think smaller more frequent feedings for these guys, atleast while they are small. Which is different to other TB's I have kept in the past which I usually end up feeding every other day.

Alex

#15 spendy

spendy
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 October 2011 - 01:47 PM

Thats mad..been wondering bout a ray since i saw peckoltias on the forum..
Awesome lil dudes..
Sounds like ur tanks gonna be really nice once finished..
Good luck.

Renato

#16 acerimmer

acerimmer
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:59 AM

Cheers for the replies.

My ray is currently eating Hikari carnivore pellets also, he's a bit of a pig. I haven't tried anything other then those pellets yet. So far the Jardini hasn't even glanced at the ray after the first day, when the ray first flew up to the top of the tank and splashed all along the surface, it seemed to scare the shit out of the Jardini, and he lets him be.

The only current issue with the Jardini, is with his new tank mate The Bass has been in the tank just over 2 days, and the Jardini has often swam very close / brushing up to him, or even slowly going for his tail, with his mouth open. It seems like they could sort there issue out soon, but I'm fairly new to fish keeping... The Bass seems pretty happy though, he's now swimming the full length of the tank and eating Hikari carnivore pellets / floating food sticks and meal worms.

I almost feel like selling the Jardini just because I find myself constantly staring at the tank... to make sure nothing more serious happens. Feels like I should maybe closely watch what happens over the next week or something, then decide?

Jardini for good measure, not the best of vids.. I just rather looking at a quick vid then a picture I guess. Plus I don't have a good Camera / Recorder.

Edited by acerimmer, 11 October 2011 - 01:14 AM.

#17 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:03 AM

Alternatively you could put some dither fish in that swim at a similar level to the pbass/jardini. Silver dollars and tinfoiled barbs would work well.

Alex

#18 bobby dazzla

bobby dazzla
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:34 PM

Would a Giant Gourami be a suitable tank mate for a Jardini if they are a similar size ?

Could add the odd ball factor

#19 zach16

zach16
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:48 PM

Yeah i thinkit will bo ok i use to have my saratoga with my giant gourami the gourami is 50cm and the saratoga was 25 no problem.

Edited by zach16, 11 October 2011 - 07:50 PM.

#20 acerimmer

acerimmer
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:50 AM

Thinking about giving the Jardini to a mate tomorrow. The stand offs and bite attempts at each other are still continuing, started by the Jardini of course. It's a shame! I do love that fish... seems like the best course of action though.

Also now thinking about the rays safety down the track, I know it's been fine so far... but the ray cruises to the top a lot. I'd consider crying if I woke up to a split fin / bite out of the disc sad.gif

Edited by acerimmer, 12 October 2011 - 12:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users