Photo

Fresh Water Stingray Keepers

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:16 PM

Where are you getting your earth worms from Sam?

#22 Anka

Anka
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:17 PM

So keen for a video of him stalking and eating some live shrimp wub.gif

#23 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:18 PM

Cheers Alex! I've seen some big ones in person these last couple of days. Can't wait til he gets some size about him! I pay so much attention to him compared to other fish, it's like watching paint dry or grass grow haha.

#24 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:21 PM

Some big ones ey... you holding out the goss on me? wink.gif

I'm going to clean my fish room out this weekend, crap building up, and clean all my filters (over due) then we will tee up a time for you to come round.

#25 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:21 PM

Bunnings sell earth worms in boxes Alex. $54 for a box of 1000 "i think" they are just on the shelf above the worm farms.

I should have had him on them from day dot. But I procrastinated a bit and had bold worms.... Next one if I get a pup it will be straight away!

#26 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:24 PM

Yeah, bloodworms OK if that's all they are eating. Hikari carnivore is like steroid crack for rays once they get a taste for it!

Yeah I've seen them at bunnings, what's the size like? I've been getting mine from ecco valley earthworms, get 'em sent in the mail. I get the African Night Crawlers, big juicy suckers.

#27 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:27 PM

Cool smile.gif These ones weren't to big man and the size varied a fair bit. Didn't really worry me though. Not like I needed massive ones for the little guy smile.gif

#28 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:29 PM

Might give em a bash. The night crawlers are 50bucks for 250.

#29 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:39 PM

Are they ment for food or worm farms? I guess these would be babies and grow off what ever waste you put in the farm and also multiply.

Shoot me a text when the fish rooms tidy wink.gif I'll pop round and have a look.

#30 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:11 PM

The night crawlers are sold as fishing bait. Will text you soon.

#31 danotaylor

danotaylor
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:20 PM

QUOTE (Peckoltia @ Aug 27 2012, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They are South American stingrays Dano.

cheers Alex smile.gif

#32 computerlog

computerlog
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:57 AM

I've just finished a box of 500 worms from Bunnings and at most there was about 50 usable sized worms, plenty of tiny white ones but they're of no use. The worms also seem unhealthy when compared to those dug out of the garden.

Definitely going to try ecco valley in the future seems like they would be much better value.

#33 K.v

K.v
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:53 PM

i was just asking mate i wouldnt mind geting one i dont want to break any laws.

#34 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:14 PM

Thanks for that computerlog, I'm going to do another order from ecco valley. Just did a bit of a clean out of my worm farm, think I've been using more than I have been producing! wink.gif

But my castings are looking nice, going to plant my chilli seeds this weekend, so looking forward to smashing the seedlings/plants with plenty of castings.

#35 K.v

K.v
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:28 PM

what seeds you got brother i got some Trinidad Scorpion Butch T seeds i have to get started.

#36 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:32 PM

I got a fair few ready to go; Bhut jolokia, hungarian yellow wax, Aji amarillo (orange) and Peter pepper (red).

#37 computerlog

computerlog
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:07 PM

QUOTE (Peckoltia @ Sep 11 2012, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for that computerlog, I'm going to do another order from ecco valley. Just did a bit of a clean out of my worm farm, think I've been using more than I have been producing! wink.gif

But my castings are looking nice, going to plant my chilli seeds this weekend, so looking forward to smashing the seedlings/plants with plenty of castings.

Alex, how long do they take to arrive from ecco valley?

I got a different box from Bunnings today (DrWorms 1200+ essential kit) and it seems much better than the previous one (was a yellow box). Worms look a lot healthier, more active, better size and while I'm doubting there's 1200+ there's definitely a fair few.

Currently have a large female who's refusing to eat anything other than worms, plus I have to individually place each one in front of her otherwise she just ignores them. Just happy she's still alive though, thought she was going to die for sure last week.

Brett

#38 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:32 AM

Good that she is eating worms atleast, is she a new ray? or one that has become fussy?

The worms from ecco valley take about 5 working days to get here after you order them.

#39 computerlog

computerlog
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:02 AM

Thanks man keen to give them a try when i can afford to wait for them to arrive.

Had her for over a month now I think, she copped a hammering from a overly keen male (he literally hammered her) and I took too long to separate them. After looking close to death she's recovering but become fussy with her food, the main thing is like you said at least she's eating. Given her about 3/4 of a scotch glass worth of worms in the last two days, always knew they were expensive to feed but so far its been close to $90 worth of worms in a week!

#40 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:15 PM

i have a vege garden about 30mx25m and full of worms.... big earth worms.... maybe i should start harvesting and selling them!!! tongue.gif any takers ???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users