Photo

New Tank

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#21 silverscreen

silverscreen
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:06 PM

i heard on a radio advert that each tank is going to based on one of the seven seas.

#22 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:22 PM

Hopefully they are maintained at a high standard, or they will end up looking horrible in no time.

I'm surprised that place has installed such large aquariums. The place is a dump.

#23 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:53 PM

The owner of the property has previous links to the aquarium industry from back in the early 80s - his father is the late Dick Poland...

I dont know how they will turn out - our quote, which was reasonable and perhaps less than 5% of their advertising campaign, was too high for them.... So Im assuming the standard of setup will either be substandard, or the people setting it up will be going home with very little for their efforts.... If it was a different industry, they would have forked out more funds to do it right - but the fish mongering industry holds little value.... If I was a Vet, glazier or an Aquaculture Consultant, Id be able to charge per hour, but in my industry, labour is worth either nothing or at least a few beers....

With the rant over, I felt the if I could not obtain a profit from setting up those tanks as per request and aspirations, in the limited time frame set out, then it would not be worth doing....
Im going to make a trip out there once they are setup, just to see for myself if it is up to the standards that I would have reached....

#24 slink

slink
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:12 PM

Saw these today pretty impressive I have to say only thing I saw was a few of the seals on one of the big tanks had lots of bubbles in it so hopefully it's ok. Can't wait to see them full it will defiantly be an attraction for them.

#25 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:21 PM

QUOTE (silverscreen @ Apr 13 2013, 03:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i heard on a radio advert that each tank is going to based on one of the seven seas.

Gees the cost to maintain surely would make it not viable. Each of the 7 seas so all marine gees good luck with that.

#26 slink

slink
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:22 PM

You would need to hire someone to maintain them full time I reckon.

#27 Valkeris

Valkeris
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:22 PM

I have never seen tanks with a pool sand filter fitted before today. How do they cope with biological filtration compared to cannister or sumps?
I may consider this setup if anyone can point me to some research or previous experience.

#28 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:49 PM

The owners hinted they will be employing a maratime TAFE student 10 hours a week to maintain them..

Sand filters? Better up those hours so they can back flush the filters ever few days and re-fill the tanks (which will be by hose - there is no direct plumbing) and the running costs of a pump to push through sand filters is higher than I quoted and not to forget the maintenance of those higher pressure pumps - sounds like the owner has organised his own setup.... As long as the setup is cheap (comes out of his own pocket) he wont care about the running costs and maintenance - the store owners will pay all that in their outgoings after their rent....

Edited by Mr_docfish, 13 April 2013 - 07:50 PM.

#29 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:43 AM

Surely one of the large tanks would of been a bigger enough wow factor, why clutter up the place with all the others. To much money i guess.

#30 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:25 AM

Was down there yesterday and checked progress.

Looks like yes, they will be using pool filters and a really ugly arrangement of PVC intake/outlet pipes. Power drops down from ceiling. Long tanks are getting gravel in them now, so they might be first.

Also, to me it seems like that pool filter might be inadequate for the 2 really big tanks, but what do I know?

Here are some fake rocks and logs bound for the tanks.

I have it on reasonable authority that the final tank arrangements will be:

Large 1: 10 or so rays

Large 2: Will be wasted on Koi! Con will love this smile.gif

Not quite so large tanks, of which there are 5 will be Rainbowfish/natives, Bloodparrot/flowerhorns, 2x Malawi and I forget the last one. With a bit of luck it might be South American, but I don't recall.

So it looks like something for everyone except Tang lovers, who can suck wombies!

#31 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:37 AM

Most people are too blind to see the true beauty of many tangs. Including some fish keepers.

That pipe work looks rubbish, coupled with the open stands showing the filtration.

Edited by Peckoltia, 21 April 2013 - 10:48 AM.

#32 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:37 AM

God that plumbing is atrocious. What rookie put that together.

#33 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:49 AM

C'mon Alex, think of the rays! smile.gif I like tangs well enough, but I enjoy ribbing tang keepers more laugh.gif

Apparently the guy setting that stuff up is pretty experienced, but there will be no hiding these pipes. IMO they might as well chuck a dunny in the tank and it will be just as appealing.

Maybe the 'scaping and the fish will be so speccy that you won't notice the pipes?

I reckon the last tank should should have a massive tower of 500 catfish caves with 500 various common bristlenose up to the rarest L numbers all hiding in them, so all you can see is 500 fish arses and waving tails! laugh.gif

#34 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:52 AM

I just want to know when the tanks are going to be decommissioned and sold.

#35 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:12 AM

Haha Alex.
I agree with you. Seem very over kill here and the cost to maintain and run these tanks may cause a struggle.
None the less ill definetly be checking these out when stocked.

#36 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

If say wont be long before that filtration shits itself smile.gif

#37 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:59 PM

Might as well piss the lounge chairs off as you won't be able to hear your self think with all the pool filters running. Imo the only way to do it when viewed from all sides is a central over flow with a island in the centre to hide the over flow and plumbing, with a sump underneath.

#38 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:31 AM

I presume they will build some cabinetry round it to try hide some of the works.

#39 pacco

pacco
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:03 AM

I think it's Paul from Morley that is doing the job

Cheers
Pacco

#40 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:06 AM

He is stocking them not filtration or plumbing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users