Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

Photo

What to do when your Tankbusters get too big!

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#21 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 31 March 2007 - 04:51 PM

This soooo much reminds me of the Simpsons episode when Homer eats his pet lobster Pinchy. For your enjoyment

Me personally I wouldn't eat a pet, i'd rather be oblivious to it's history and where it came from. But on the other hand plenty of people live off the land and eat their own livestock. But there's a difference. Each for their own hey.

Darryl

#22 spud

spud
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 March 2007 - 07:17 PM

Hi Alex, I am a little bit upset, you could of at least posted an invite! I could have brought along some Tang sardines and a carton. laugh.gif Would have been a good barbaque. :wink: maybe next time.

cheers spud

#23 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 March 2007 - 08:05 PM

It's strange. People will eat seafood and meat on a daily basis. But as soon as you contain a fish in a glass cage it suddenly becomes unacceptable and disgusting.

We used to grow pigs amongst other animals on our farm (for eating) when I was a kid. It's just a fish fellas. No need to let your skirts get too twisted! :wink:

#24 Guest_pleco4me_*

Guest_pleco4me_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2007 - 08:13 PM

In another post you said your tsn was your favourite fish ever, it seems weird that you would eat it afterwards :? Sure it was an expensive fish, and you did not want to waste it, but wouldnt you feel better if you buried it in your backyard as a memorial of such an amazing fish :wink:

#25 ChRiS_06

ChRiS_06
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 April 2007 - 12:28 AM

If he burried it in his backyard the insects would have just eaten it. If its going to get eaten either way i think id rather a person eat it laugh.gif

#26 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 April 2007 - 12:10 PM

(Mintox)
This reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Homer eats his pet crayfish after he gives it a warm bath.

LMAO Very funny episode.. Hahaha

#27 Warp

Warp
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 April 2007 - 12:16 PM

I guess if you just looked at it as live stock what difference does it make? I have eaten steers, chickens and lamb from my uncles farm and some of those are hand reared... Can't say I've been in a position to own an eating quality fish to be able to say how I felt ...

As a society we don't eat dogs and cats, Some people around the world tho think of them as a bit of a delacacy :? but in ours we are raised to respect our pets like we would a mate.. You go to a resturant and choose your lobster and I dare say in some resturants you could choose your fish.. But could you eat it if you looked at it for too long? hehe I think the hardest part of it all would be the slaughter.. We all know tho that if your raised on a farm you live off the land. Could you eat someone elses fish that was a pet?

Bon apetite! :mrgreen:

#28 madasa

madasa
  • Banned

Posted 01 April 2007 - 05:25 PM

I have already stated my opinion.

However I wonder why someone would post a thread and pics which would likely offend quite a few people?

#29 retyped

retyped
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 April 2007 - 05:59 PM

well in my opinion its like eating a "silver perch" at a resturant so theres no difference beside its been raised by yourself which has more LOVE more TASTE .... laugh.gif

#30 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 April 2007 - 06:48 PM

(madasa)
I have already stated my opinion.

However I wonder why someone would post a thread and pics which would likely offend quite a few people?

People are offeneded by these pics? Maybe people just need to unwrap themselves from the cotton wool covering them.

#31 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 April 2007 - 01:15 PM

BTW - I don't think my current TSN looks too worried?!?

#32 DR14GoNF14SH

DR14GoNF14SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 April 2007 - 01:42 PM

LoL...

Is it the 1st time you've made dinner out of your beloved tank mates?

Or is this the norm?

I might understand if you were starving with no option... but while the fridge is full?

Personally, with each bite, i would feel like throwing up...

Dont get me wrong... you can do what you like with your dead buddies, but surely you can see why images such as these might be disturbing to people who are passionate about keeping fish...

Who are we to tell you that you are wrong or right? Haha... Alls i am saying, is that it is of bad tatse to post pics of this nature...And prior to posting them im 100% sure that you would have known you would get this kind of reaction... correct?

cheers,
ernest laugh.gif

#33 duck

duck
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 April 2007 - 02:25 PM

I have thought about this,if one of my fish jumped ship, but gave the idea away as it would be to much trouble to fillet a Discus.

I have read through but you never mention how you cooked it.
I would of cut thinner slices maybe panfry with a little olive oil a touch of lemon and a and a bit of cream,Or i would of wrapped it up in some foil with a few choice herbs,like, dill, garlic,a pinch of parsley,couple of slicers of lemon then in he oven or on the BBQ.

Suprised the RSPCA haven't come around.

#34 Matthew

Matthew
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 April 2007 - 03:52 PM

I would of cut thinner slices maybe panfry with a little olive oil a touch of lemon and a and a bit of cream,Or i would of wrapped it up in some foil with a few choice herbs,like, dill, garlic,a pinch of parsley,couple of slicers of lemon then in he oven or on the BBQ.

I'm going to tell you all my secret for cooking fish:

Fries sprinkle.
Thats right, fries sprinkle in the jar from the herb section in the supermarket.

Fries sprinkle, touch of pepper and some thinly sliced lemon, pan fry or wrap in ali foil and chuck on the barbie for 7-10 minutes each side.

bon apetitie.

#35 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 April 2007 - 04:00 PM

I have read through but you never mention how you cooked it.

Suprised the RSPCA haven't come around.

I wrapped it with foil and covered it with lemon and herbs and threw it on the griller side of barbie. I most certainly had no regrets about the way it was cooked. It tasted delicious!

The RSPCA comment is also quite pathetic!

Is it the 1st time you've made dinner out of your beloved tank mates?

Or is this the norm?

I might understand if you were starving with no option... but while the fridge is full?

Personally, with each bite, i would feel like throwing up...

Dont get me wrong... you can do what you like with your dead buddies, but surely you can see why images such as these might be disturbing to people who are passionate about keeping fish...

Who are we to tell you that you are wrong or right? Haha... Alls i am saying, is that it is of bad tatse to post pics of this nature...And prior to posting them im 100% sure that you would have known you would get this kind of reaction... correct?

This has nothing to do with having enough food to eat or not. That is a poor suggestion to even be made. I hardly think anyone with enough money to keep exotic fish is not going to have enough money to atleast feed themselves!

With each bite you would feel like throwing up? All that each bite that I had evoked was a craving for the next!

I also wasn't aware that everyone had to agree with everything posted by other members. Their is always room for differing opinions. Is it not these differing opinions that generate healthy debate?

I am also wondering what you are getting at by saying "surely you can see why images such as these might be disturbing to people who are passionate about keeping fish... " because I ate my fish I am less passionate about the hobby? I think that almost anybody who raises fish to 95cm in length is fairly serious about their hobby. I don't think eating a dead fish out of curiosity has anything to do with the level of commitment that someone exerts into their hobby.

At the end of the day I'm sure 95% of the 'haters' eat fish or some form of seafood. At the end of the day BIG DEAL I raised the fish in a glass cage, it suddenly makes it so wrong to eat this animal. Toughen up!

It died. I ate it. It tased good.

Alex

#36 duck

duck
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 April 2007 - 04:25 PM

(Peckoltia)
The RSPCA comment is also quite pathetic!

Just as pathetic as this thread.
I just threw it in as some people thought it was gross that you ate your fish.
I don't really care what you do with your fish ,goodluck to you for eating it aslong as it was nice.

#37 madasa

madasa
  • Banned

Posted 02 April 2007 - 04:38 PM

Im inclined to agree that you must have had some instinct that those pictures would spark a debate of sorts and upset some of us.

Also - I just wonder what message this gives to new people or youngsters entering the forum?

Alex - I dont know you, but from what I can see, you have no difficulty inciting 'trouble' with some of your rude and unnecessary remarks to other people. People who, as you said yourself, have a right to comment, as you did when you ate your beloved pet without a second thought.

You're the kid with the consultant neurologist as a dad right? Does his standing in society give you some moral high ground as his kin?

PS Please dont suggest I or any other should not get their knickers in a twist again. It seems to me that you have little respect for your animals or fellow enthusiasts.

#38 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 April 2007 - 04:46 PM

(madasa)
Im inclined to agree that you must have had some instinct that those pictures would spark a debate of sorts and upset some of us.

Also - I just wonder what message this gives to new people or youngsters entering the forum?

Alex - I dont know you, but from what I can see, you have no difficulty inciting 'trouble' with some of your rude and unnecessary remarks to other people. People who, as you said yourself, have a right to comment, as you did when you ate your beloved pet without a second thought.

You're the kid with the consultant neurologist as a dad right? Does his standing in society give you some moral high ground as his kin?

PS Please dont suggest I or any other should not get their knickers in a twist again. It seems to me that you have little respect for your animals or fellow enthusiasts.

Moral high ground because my dad is a neuro? What does this have to do with anything?

I really don't have the time or the will to keep replying to this.

Enjoy your guppy keeping fellas.

#39 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 April 2007 - 04:48 PM

I think you should be able to do as you like when it comes to your fish and although some may have problems with you eating your pet.. well that is there opinion.

I personally think it would be emotional at first but 95 cm 8O that isn't a average fish and because it is a edible fish why just bury it in some hole i think you did the right thing.

I have a barramundi raising up growing his muscles right now, he has spiked the tank's ammonia levels and we need another pump and we need to double our cleaning efforts.

I couldn't just grab him out and kill him but if he jumped out and died i wouldn't find it wrong to eat him, although he is a pet now i would find it a shame to loose him but i would prefer the family to have a dinner out of it then it decomposing in the ground or heavens forbid been dug up by dogs/cats.

thats just my two cents though you all have your own opinions.

biggrin.gif

#40 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 April 2007 - 04:50 PM

gdfg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users