What Heater Do You Use?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Michael the fish fanatic

Michael the fish fanatic

Photo Master 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2015 - 03:18 PM

Hey guys, just wondering what heaters you guys use in your tank? I use Aquones ATM, and (fingers crossed) never had a problem with them.

#2 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 17 April 2015 - 03:24 PM

I use Eheim Jager heater on my main tank, and the Whale brand heaters on my other two tanks. I haven't had much luck with Eheim Jager heaters lately. I had one which was one week over 3 years old fail and cook the water to almost 40 degrees, which killed half my fish. The replacement one I got doesn't turn on at all...... and it's only a couple of months old......If someone can recommend something different to a Jager for a 6x2x2 then I will gladly give it a shot. I think I might use the 300w Whale heater on the tank, and see how that goes.

http://www.aquariumo...um-heater-300w/

#3 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2015 - 03:59 PM

Aquaone and eheim. Have had some issues with accuracy at lower temps with both brands but otherwise both are great.

#4 Leigh

Leigh
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2015 - 04:04 PM

I've also had two Jager's the malfunction by staying on. Worst way to malfunction IMO. I currently run anything else.....

#5 silverscreen

silverscreen
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2015 - 04:59 PM

in my fish room i am trying a different type of heater this year...i have purchased a aquazonic titan 1500w this is in my sump heating 6x4ft tanks...what i have found is its keeping the whole room warm...so i have put in the rest of my tanks under rated heaters...mostly 3ft tanks and i am putting 55w heaters and so far so good...room is staying 27-28 and all my other tanks are doing well....touch wood....have to wait for the power bill to find out how we are realy doing.

rgds

john.

Attached File  DSC_1003.jpg   132.54KB   19 downloads

#6 Patto

Patto
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2015 - 05:56 PM

I lost 40 peppermints using a aqua one heater. Cooked all the little guy . I'm using Eheim atm so far so good. You can tune them to get the correct temp. They do seem to be more efficient but time will tell.
I also have hydro inline Heaters on one of my 6x2x2 which have been as working well for the last few years

Edited by Patto, 17 April 2015 - 06:01 PM.

#7 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:10 PM

Oceanic Shogun.

#8 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:35 PM

Shogun? Is that the metal looking heaters?

#9 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:36 PM

I use a lot of different heaters. Each year I stick them in a nano tank with a couple of thermometers and check them. Then I tag the cord so I know if they are high, low or accurate.

Have had a Resun fail. but so far the rest are all hunky dory.

Using Eheims, Aqua One, Hydor inline, Fluval Tronic, Aqua Zonic, and some cheapies.

#10 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:56 AM

in my fish room i am trying a different type of heater this year...i have purchased a aquazonic titan 1500w this is in my sump heating 6x4ft tanks...what i have found is its keeping the whole room warm...so i have put in the rest of my tanks under rated heaters...mostly 3ft tanks and i am putting 55w heaters and so far so good...room is staying 27-28 and all my other tanks are doing well....touch wood....have to wait for the power bill to find out how we are realy doing.

rgds
john.

attachicon.gifDSC_1003.jpg

I remember you heating the room. Do you reckon its cheaper heating the water?

#11 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 18 April 2015 - 10:40 AM

If I had a dedicated fish room, I would heat the room rather than have individual heaters in tanks.

#12 silverscreen

silverscreen
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 April 2015 - 01:22 PM

I remember you heating the room. Do you reckon its cheaper heating the water?

last year i had a electric oil heater in the room...dont quote me on the brand name....was a very exspensive way of heater my room.

i did not start out to heat the room this year but the heater i have in my sump is keeping my 6x4ft tanks up to temp very easy and the radiant temp coming from those tanks is keeping the room warm,so the rest of the heaters dont seem to be coming on as much and this is why i have bought lower watt heaters for the other tanks...my room stays around 27-28 during day time and at night it drops to 23-24...hope this makes sense.

rgds

john.

#13 Leichardti

Leichardti
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 April 2015 - 06:59 PM

Testing warmtone 200 watt. Bought from robs aquariums and keeps me at a steady 25c.

#14 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 April 2015 - 01:40 AM

Shogun? Is that the metal looking heaters?

No it's a square glass tube with built in sensor and large digital temp, google it. I think it also comes in a 500 watter.

#15 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 April 2015 - 07:08 AM

Yep. Was at Vebas yesterday. They had them in 300 and 500. Think I saw at Rob's too.

#16 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 19 April 2015 - 08:45 AM

Aquotux imports their own - the fore-mentioned Whale (VK2000) from 25-300watt - we prefer these glass core heaters to other ceramic core versions - the filiaments last longer due to the even heating and no residual heat from the ceramic after the heater turns off.
We back them up 110% with less than 1% returned over the 5+ years that we have been importing them.

As with the majority of heaters on the market, they mainly use mechanical switches (bi-metal strips or relays) so it is advisable to replace your old heater every 5 years (particularly the higher wattage ones) due to arking on the contacts every time the heater switches on or off.

For larger tanks, we advise the use of inline heater (Hydor for 200 and 300watt units, or our own generic import for 1000 and 1500watt units) - these come with replaceable relays and are very dependable. These are simply plumbed into existing plumbing under the aquarium. We have methods of plumbing (very neat) that allows more than one hydor heater to be run in parallel without restricting the water flow from any pump or filter.

We have stopped the shoguns and titans due to the number of warranties - we still carry the Eheim jaeger heater for those that still believe in them - warranties are still high (~10%), but random...

#17 Michael the fish fanatic

Michael the fish fanatic

Photo Master 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 08 October 2015 - 09:22 AM

My Aqua one had a problem today :(

Edited by Michael the fish fanatic, 08 October 2015 - 09:23 AM.

#18 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 October 2015 - 09:59 AM

Aquaones Ive used for years, but since having a mass water volume went for eheims.

2 Jagers on my 950lt tank are set at 24, but tank reaches 28, actually worries me thatll itll fry some of the $$$ that the tank holds.

Whats the next best option if I want to replace.

The Jagers are 2 years old now, I may try to recalibrate the dials at the top but it just seems strange that they have randomly started to do this.

#19 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 12 October 2015 - 12:43 PM

use this http://www.aquariumo...ine-heater-1kw/

or heat the room its in

#20 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:34 PM

conducting experiments atm with the heaters in the bath tub, I think there just done honestly. But also trying to see how warm the house is and wether itll stay a constant temperature through out the day with no heaters on.

I run canister's so 40mm fittings wouldn't work to well unfortunately

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users