Photo

Real Albino Oscars?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ant86

ant86
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:27 PM

Ok so been looking at differences between lutinos and albino oscars and most shops sell them as albinos wether there lutinos or real albino. so lm just curious to see how many actually have a real albino.. If you have had or have a real albino oscar please reply with a photo..

Thanks Ant

this is my albino (dont mind the yabi in his mouth) lol

Attached Files

#2 Aquotix Aquariums

Aquotix Aquariums
  • Sponsor

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:23 PM

Got a heap of real Albinos (young ones) and one old one in the shop.

They just wont stay still....

#3 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:06 PM

QUOTE (ant86 @ Oct 30 2012, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok so been looking at differences between lutinos and albino oscars and most shops sell them as albinos wether there lutinos or real albino. so lm just curious to see how many actually have a real albino.

Should be very easy to tell them apart albino will have red eyes lutino's won't right ?

#4 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:23 PM

Lutino is a leusistic gene and not a albino gene.
And Bowdy is right, a lutino has a black eye and albino a red eye.
Sometimes the black eye on a lutino can be a super dark red eye that shows as black.
Lutino are also called burnt fin Oscar.
Lutino have a dark grey to muddy black fins and sometimes showing on parts of the body.
Both are equally nice in my opinion, sometimes the dark fins on the lutino can make the light coloration of the body stand out nicely.

QUOTE (Aquotix Aquariums @ Oct 31 2012, 06:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Got a heap of real Albinos (young ones) and one old one in the shop.

They just wont stay still....

Nice crisp looking albinos

#5 ant86

ant86
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:09 PM

I have a albino and a lutino, l like both of them the same.. And lve read up quite abit about them over the years. l just think the albinos are under rated dew to the fact is most stores (not aquotix) sell lutinos as albinos. and to poeple that dont know the difference between them think their buying a albino. and to be honest l havnt seen many big real albinos. Is why l want poeple to post up photos their big albinos wink.gif

#6 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:36 PM

I have been to a lot of shops in Perth many times and never seen a lutino or anything else not albino being sold as albino. Not saying it doesn't happen just never seen it. Albino's have always had red eyes

#7 ant86

ant86
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:13 PM

I am aware that albinos have always had red eyes. but l once was caught out by malga aquaruims buying my firstt tank and oscar, l was told it was a albino, being a novice l thort the fella must know his stuff. which then he told me you cant put black and albino oscars together cause they are rascist towards eachother lol which is a bollocks cause l have done so many times..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users