Photo

Sump Design And Filter Media

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mashjprime

mashjprime
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 October 2016 - 01:57 PM

Hi guys, I'm in the process of designing a 100L sump for my 400L display tank. Im debating whether to use Hel-X fluidised for bio or Seachem Matrix. Wondering how loud a fluidised sump is and if I could fit enough media in a 40L space to support my tank. Obviously it depends on the fish I'm keeping but I can't seem to find the filtering capacity of Hel-X. On the other hand, with good mechanical filtration how often could I expect to clean Matrix media? Im planning to have a large isolation section for seperating my fish when necessary and would like to run some chemical filtration either in the sump or in a reactor.

Also really keen to see everyone's freshwater sump designs ;)

#2 Chopstick_mike

Chopstick_mike
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 October 2016 - 07:12 AM

I have marine pure balls great area surface for bb in my 7x2x2 i use 8 litres or it and course black sponge as mechanical, if you're wanting chemical I've heard purigen and chemi-pure are the way to go
And I clean my media every 4 to 6 months

#3 Ronny

Ronny
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 October 2016 - 12:13 PM

This is the sump I designed for my 6x2.  The middle section is meant to be for isolation or fry growout. 

It has about 15L of Marine Pure (and some other similar looking but bigger spherical media), coarse black sponge and Jap Mat. 

Attached Files

#4 mashjprime

mashjprime
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 October 2016 - 12:25 PM

Very cool! I'll have to do some more research, so many options. Also wondering if it's necessary to run a heater in the main tank and the sump?

#5 Ronny

Ronny
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 October 2016 - 12:36 PM

if you have one in the sump, you don't need one in the main tank.  

I designed that one so it could be used to put fish in if needed and the baffles are set in a way that it won't overflow when power is cut off as there is no check valve for the return/sump inlet line. 

Edited by Ronny, 24 October 2016 - 12:36 PM.

#6 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 October 2016 - 07:34 PM

1F1D62E2-C78B-4B09-8D37-9D8BD148A1F7_zps

My sump. Nice and simple but super effective. Whole roll of jap matting cut to size and 50L of K media tumbling! Two heater in the return chamber with the return pump.

Has changed a little bit since the pic was taken. I have now propped the matting up off the glass with small cuts of PVC to allow for extra flow through the matting. 

I have 2, 6x2x2.5's that I am about to set up one with flow into the next on a two tier rack then into a 216l drum filled with k1 media, inlet will have a mechanical filtration attached. Filtration is over complicated these days. 

Edited by Peckoltia, 25 October 2016 - 10:21 AM.

#7 MUZZYBEAR

MUZZYBEAR
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 November 2016 - 06:22 AM

Peckoltia, awesome sump, just something I've found from my sump if the outlets from the tank get blocked and the pump keeps pumping the heaters will blow up, would they be better in the first chamber that can never empty the whole way??

#8 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 November 2016 - 11:30 AM

Thanks mate. Yeah I agree that usually it is safer to have the heaters in the first chamber. In my case there are two inlets from the display into the sump (both of the pipes on the right side of the picture), the one on the far right is the active inlet into the sump (40mm) the other is a redundant inlet (also 40mm) and has an upward facing elbow in the tank that sits about ~4mm above the water line in the tank in the event that the 'active' sump inlet becomes blocked the water will rise slightly in the display and have another path to the sump. Hope this makes sense. So the chances of the sump running dry is completely eliminated, so it doesn't really matter what chamber my heaters are in.

Edited by Peckoltia, 02 November 2016 - 11:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users