Water Change With Sump

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lesa1966

Lesa1966
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:10 AM

Hi.
I've just bought a 5ft tank with sump and was hoping for some advice as I've never had a sump before.

It appears to be fairly basic input and output with 5 chambers. I have media in the first 3 (coral and mats only) 2 heaters and UV light in 4th and pump in 5th chamber.

The brand is JAD ( I bought it as it looked good) and can't find much info on it on the net. ( I probably should have done a bit more research).

I was just wondering what I do when I do a water change.
Do I change water from the sump or from the tank?
Do I turn off the pump or just close the valves or do I leave running and use the output hose to drain the water?

Also, I now have sand and not gravel (once again for looks) how do I clean this without syphoning the sand up?

The tanks only been going for a week now.

Any feedback/advice is welcomed.

Thank you

#2 chrishaigh82

chrishaigh82
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 15 April 2017 - 11:00 AM

Hey, with the sump I leave water in it and have the sump pump recirculating at the bottom, have a tap to switch it from pumping to the top (so i can leave the heaters/uv filter and stuff on still) and drain from the main tank.  I don't like the media drying out.

I've had issues with super fine sand and not being able to clean with our sucking all the sand out too?  No one had any wisdom for this when I posted the other day :( 

#3 Chopstick_mike

Chopstick_mike
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 April 2017 - 11:28 AM

I pump from main tank and once the last chamber is drained I turn pump off ,just be careful when you turn the pump off you will create a back siphon so make sure you have a siphon break.

Regarding the fine sand I had the same issue and unfortunately the best option was to change it over to coarse pool filter sand which works much better

#4 Mattia

Mattia

1st International Club Member

• PCS Club Member

Posted 15 April 2017 - 12:41 PM

Just remove the front bit of the syphon (the bottle shaped one) and magic happens ;)

#5 Lesa1966

Lesa1966
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 April 2017 - 07:44 AM

Thank you everyone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users