Photo

Pairs In Display Tank

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Androo

Androo
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:48 AM

For those who went to Willem Heijns talk heard him talk bout his stocking rates and choice of fish for each tank. Ibviously this was done with South American cichlids not Malawi cichlids. I was thinking if have a bunch of pairs if my favourite Malawi cichlids in my display tank. Has anyone done this successfully? Is it possible to have non paired males in the tank of different malawi? And can I have suggestions of what people would recommend in a 6x2x2.

#2 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:01 AM

The mating process for Africans v Americans in most cases can't be compared. Most cases Americans pair up where most Africans form large colony's. so using the American tank stocking comparability principal on Africans isn't exactly correct.

To answer your questions IMO yes and most malawi's available in Perth will be compatible. Personally if your wanting a Malawi display get rid of the girls that will eliminate breeding and reduce agro between males. If you do decide to leave females in there , raising fry should never be done.

That just my opinion on your questions. Im sure Buccal will add and give great advice on the mater.

#3 Androo

Androo
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:34 AM

I understand the difference in breeding habits between Malawi and South Americans however is it possible to pick species from the same area that do not cross in the wild and have a few small colonies or possibly have a few species so different ie haps, electric yellows and something else that has no relation no similarities to other breeds in tank. I currently have a number of mixed breeding tanks that have given me a number of batches of fry of which are identical to the pure strains (because the breeds are not inclined to cross).
If there is no one that had successfully had a large scale (4 different colonies) ill stay way clear if the idea but I have a feeling with special planing and selection I should be able to have a number if colonies in a display tank.

I was thinking red Emp, mpanga, hongi (may be to similar pattern to mpanga) otherwise yellows and one other.

#4 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:45 AM

Number one rule with Malawi if your wanting to breed for fry stick to species tanks as Malawi will bang anything.
Yellows mpanga hongi will all cross breed most haps will cross breed most mbuna will cross breed.
Mbuna and haps will also cross breed.

What species are you keeping and breeding together ?

#5 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:31 PM

Yes, Bowdy is 100% correct.
I've had venustus cross with elec blue white nights,,, elec yellows cross with red empress.
These crosses happened when using young females as dithers.
Obviously your trying to achieve a dual purpose of display and breeding.
You can do it your way,,, but you would have to grow them to at least 6cm to be sure, and that would be a pain.
If doing this,, then to reduce aggression place 5 pairs of rocks evenly spaced through the length of tank (about rock melon size).
This way separate quarters can be established.
Next is to group together all desired species as young juvies and grow up together weening out males and females to obtain wanted numbers,,, doing this allows much better tolerances between each other.
The trick to all of this and managing in a normal aspect of breeding,,,, is to obtain a standard 3 ft aquarium.
Fill this 3 ft tank using your 6 ft tank water,, and seed it's internal filter with the bio-waste from your 6 ft tank filter.
Every time you water change do both in sync,, and maintain identical temps.
Keep in there one dither fish (small size silver dollar is perfect)
Now getting to operational business,,,, A female cichlid when about to spawn is apparent visually 1 or even 2 days prior to spawning easily distinguished by swollen anal area followed by the beginning of the egg tube extension.
At this point,, scoop out both male and ripe female and transfer into the 3 ft.
Within a day or two spawning will be complete and aggression towards the female should be at minimum due to diverting the attention to the enemy (the silver dollar).
Put the male back in display and leave female in 3ft and record date.
14-17 days later strip mother of fry and mother back in display.
Don't keep fry in 3 ft as any other fish may want to spawn at any time,,, so you'll have to extra grow space or fry savers in 6 foot.
Hope this info allows you to take your avenue successfully.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users