Photo

FW plenum?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Gavin

Gavin
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 July 2005 - 08:29 PM

Has any1 tried using a marine-style plenum(similar to a disconnected ugf) in a plant tank. It's supposed to encourage gentle current thru the substrate for aerobic & anaerobic bacteria , but maybe it would also give the effect of ug heating. It would be easy to set up , cheap and cost nil to run.

#2 duck

duck
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 July 2005 - 09:13 PM

One thing pops to mind is, Where do the root's go?

#3 Gavin

Gavin
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 July 2005 - 09:49 PM

It is also known as the Jaubert system , it calls for a mesh screen 1" off the bottom of the tank ,then a 2" layer of gravel then mesh and another 2" of gravel .The top zone should house nitrifying bacteria and the lower zone breeds nitrate reducing bacteria while avoiding any zero oxygen(annoxic) areas which lead to hydrogen sulfide production.
I would think that you could use a ugf and a single layer of gravel of normal depth in a planted tank since you don't need to reduce nitrates. The benefits would be no stagnant areas and gentle nutrient movement thru the substrate. I don't forsee any downside- even if it doesn't work.If no1 has tried this before I,ll give it a go next time I set up a tank.

#4 duck

duck
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 July 2005 - 07:33 AM

I put it this way,When you go to move the plant what are the root's going to anchor too, the UGF,You end up with a big mess.
That's if you going to plant it out.

#5 Gavin

Gavin
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 July 2005 - 06:42 PM

Maybe not suitable if you like to fiddle a lot ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users