Photo

Such Thing As Albino Peppermints?

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#21 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:41 PM

His mrs looks after his fish. I'm on call for 5 weeks at a time as the fish doctor.

#22 Anka

Anka
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:22 PM

Which company does he work for?

#23 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:34 PM

Pm him and ask, I don't really feel comfortable giving out friends details... More so than I already have. Sure he won't mind, just not my place.

#24 Scales

Scales
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:50 PM

Can you go get pics Alex?

#25 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:55 PM

I'm heading out his way on Thursday, I'll see if his mrs is home and grab some pics.

#26 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:35 PM

wouldnt it be a bugger if one of his mates slipped in and snuck a heap of albino fry in with peps tongue.gif

albinoism is a percentage chance in every spawn.... imagine a 1 in 10000 chance for every fry born...

albino b/n bred with albino b/n will produce 100% albinos... so ita a 1 in 1 chance for every fry born...

pure common b/n bred with an albino will produce fry - 99.9% of being all common... approx 1 in 1000 chance of an albino... this figure increases from first one because one parent is albino... but the resulting fry will carry the albino gene although it doesnt show any albino characteristics... mathematically it carries 50% albino genes but in reality this figure is prob a little less... so a b/n displaying common characteristics will carry a percentage of albino genes whether it be 0.0001% or up to 50%....

so using this percentage statistic with peppermint b/n - somewhere along the line the albino percentage may increase although no visible characteristics are displayed in the fish... untill one day "BANG" out comes some albinos.... as many as one to half the fry spawned...

all sorts of factors can effect the number of albinos occuring from non-albino parents who carry the albino gene....
who carries the higher percentage of albino genes... male or female...
how strong the male sperm was... or how strong the females eggs are...
plus things like PH temp tds levels etc... not to mention any heavy metals in the water also

so its a bit like a lottery.... but your odds can be increased by pairing up fish with higher albino gene percentages...

quick example if a pair of pepps bred 1 albino fry... you'd grow it up and breed it back over with one of its parents.... thus increasing your chances of getting more albinos... untill you get enough fry to breed brother/sister.... at this point it would pay to have 2 colonies of albino pepps to breed... then branch 2 colonies in different breeding directions... so in future 5-6 spawns down the track you can bring some fry back together from each colonies blood line... to prevent direct inbreeding and deformities occuring....

hope that helps simplify albinoism in b/n.... smile.gif

#27 Moses

Moses
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:11 AM

Clear as mud Johno haha

#28 Anka

Anka
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:50 AM

Good explanation johnno

#29 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:20 AM

Just throwing this out there...

The incidence of albinism can be artificially increased in fish by exposing the eggs to heavy metals (e.g., arsenic, cadmium, copper, mercury, selenium, zinc) and may occur in fry originating from crosses in which adult specimens have been exposed to heavy metals (Oliveira & Foresti, 1996). Thus, the albinism in S. guntheri is more probably the result of a genetic random alteration since heavy metals seems improbable in the sampled habitat.

Reference
Marcelo F. G. de Brito and Érica P. Caramaschi. 2005. An albino armored catfish Schizolecis guntheri (Siluriformes: Loricariidae) from an Atlantic Forest coastal basin. http://www.scielo.br...3n1/v3n1a09.pdf. (Accessed 03 October, 2012)

#30 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:49 AM

I haven't seen the fish yet. The tank that the fish are in has bright white gravel/stones. It is possible that hypanheaven's mrs (who isn't a fish person) is seeing light and dark specimens as some are on the bright white gravel and others on the dark driftwood. At a young age I would think that this may have an impact on the colour of the fry, to the untrained eye anything light in colour is albino. Just a thought. Time will tell on this one.

I hope they are albino, for whatever reason that may be.

Edited by Peckoltia, 03 October 2012 - 10:50 AM.

#31 Anka

Anka
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:55 AM

Besides the fact that the are rare, they will look pretty ordinary surely? Won't they just look like albino bn?

#32 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:40 PM

QUOTE (Peckoltia @ Oct 3 2012, 10:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I haven't seen the fish yet. The tank that the fish are in has bright white gravel/stones. It is possible that hypanheaven's mrs (who isn't a fish person) is seeing light and dark specimens as some are on the bright white gravel and others on the dark driftwood. At a young age I would think that this may have an impact on the colour of the fry, to the untrained eye anything light in colour is albino. Just a thought. Time will tell on this one.

I hope they are albino, for whatever reason that may be.
This is a very likely explanation. Could almost bet my middle limbs lefty on it.

#33 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:46 PM

Also, very young pepp fry are near colourless as an albino for a few days, as a sage gentleman pointed out at the meeting. Maybe it's just that.

#34 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:24 PM

Got to love a good guessing game!

#35 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:24 PM

Thinking further, a small possibility also is on a off chance, two females laid in the same cave a few days apart. The newer hatched had no time to darken and the slightly older batch had darkened ? Maybe ?
I've had two female commons lay in the same cave once...

#36 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:26 PM

Buccal... I like it. Give me a bit and I'll brain storm another! wink.gif

#37 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:28 PM

That's funny, I guess the experienced can also invent possible predicaments to, hey..

#38 Hypanheaven

Hypanheaven
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:51 PM

i have a picture here with me, my internet is extremely intermittent at the moment as im currently in a rig shift north west of barrow island. The picture is a small picture as the mrs took it with her phone and texted it to me and it got some what downgraded in size due to her silly phone converting it to mms message, i will be back in range soon and will have better shots. But from what i have here, it definantly is an albino, you can see the little guy on the slate so im hoping that disproved the colour argument due to the light gravel hehe! fingers crossed!!!!. If you look hard enough you can see the mum to the right of him on top of the d cave hanging under the wood, ill also try post a pic of the original coloured fry from the same batch.

Just FYI i have seen pics of various L number albinos that i didnt think existed that were for sale over east, L066 and L333 albino's they looked pretty neat. Johno could maybe back me up on this

#39 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:14 PM

Yep, sure looks like albino. Your very lucky.
Another tank for the albinos and treat them like gold.
Start a breed program that follows Johno's info on reproducing multiple albinos.
Maybe you have a few albinos of the opposite sex's and hopefully they hold the dominant gene and not a recessive one.

#40 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:14 PM

Size and age of fry? Hard to see much in that resolution, but they both look like they have pigment. The guy on the slate is pale, but looks to have a stripe on the tail unless that's an artefact of the photo

Not doubting it's an albino; just not seeing it either.

More pix! Commandeer the rig's uplink to send huge res. b/n photos IMO. Bugger the dynamic positioning and the comms.... Fish have priority. The skipper will understand.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users