Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

Photo

Egg Hatched Today!!!!!!bought Two New Ones:what Is The Sex Of My Albino Bristlenose?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 kkk124

kkk124
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:24 PM

(UPDATE 2 FEB)

I kept a male ,a female and a juvenile left and sold the other males,

i though the female maybe too small as compare with the male,they got about 3cm different,(6cm to 9 cm)

quiet surprise when i saw some eggs on friday night after a water change,

no idea when the female spawned the eggs,

the male didnt take care of them,so i put them in a net and put it under the outlet of the filter,

saw the eggs hatched in this afternoon,the little one are wiggling in the net,

they are so cute~~~~~

btw,normally how long does the eggs hatch?

mine one only took 3days,maybe the female spawned 1-2 days earlier than i though?

and what i need to aware of take care the fries?

i knew no need to feed them when they still got the sac,

what else i need to know?????

-----------------------------------------------------------------

After confirmed the sex with my catfish,bought another two today,about 7cm with tail,1 has no bristle,but the other got little bristle around the mouth and pink spot on the head,will both that two become male later?

Attached File  DSC02442.JPG   69.45KB   8 downloadsAttached File  DSC02440.JPG   70.49KB   9 downloadsAttached File  DSC02438.JPG   73.8KB   9 downloadsAttached File  DSC02436.JPG   69.68KB   8 downloads

i want to know my catfish had pink spot on the head and some black spot on the body,

are they normal???

---------------------------------------------------------------------

i want to try breed the catfish

and bought a trio from a seller,

1m2f

BUT.......after a month,nothing happen,

i knew one of them is male for sure as it got bristles and big horn,

the other two,also have bristles around the mouth and small bristles near the nose,

i asked the staff in aquarium,they said female one should not hv bristles near the nose,

so am i buying all male???

Attached File  DSC02420.JPG   88.98KB   4 downloadsAttached File  DSC02404.JPG   64.88KB   4 downloads

Attached File  DSC02419.JPG   118.64KB   5 downloadsAttached File  DSC02412.JPG   68.06KB   6 downloadsAttached File  DSC02405.JPG   102.81KB   6 downloads

Edited by kkk124, 02 February 2014 - 02:54 PM.

#2 aquacouple

aquacouple
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:14 PM

Can you get better pictures? They do all look very 'male' from those photos tho!

#3 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:51 PM

I'd say all male.

#4 BristledOne

BristledOne
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:45 PM

They all appear to be male judging by the pictures, most have bristles running up the nose and I can see forking occurring which I believe only males get 

#5 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:57 PM

They look all male, grab them out and feel thier noses, if it's soft, MALE ;)
Females are a little soft but nothing like a male.
Don't press hard, you won't need too.
  • Fox likes this

#6 kkk124

kkk124
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:55 PM

cant remember how they look like when i bought them,

and no knowledge to idenity their sex at that moment,

but after researching and asking from internet, i knew they are all male.....

need to get some female now....

#7 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:12 AM

looks like you have a small boys club :)

might be lucky to get a seperate female(s) but most people usually only sell them in pairs,trios or colonies.....

or you can go down the path of buying a heap of fry and growing them up to get some females... from 3cm to an adult size that can breed would only take 2-4 months roughly depending on food and water changes... and fish population density...  

#8 kkk124

kkk124
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:41 AM

i had a 3-4cm albino bristlenose that i hv about 4 months......

i got it in  less than 2cm til this size,

how can i let it grow faster?

got 70L tank with abt 30 guppies,3 MALE bristleose and this little one,

i change15L water in abt 10days

#9 Redevilz

Redevilz
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:06 PM

Fish seem to grow the quickest and have the best computation when the aquarium size is right for them and their diet is full of nutrients.

#10 kkk124

kkk124
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:43 PM

i always thought they dont really eat as i cant see they eat....

i put zucchini overnight,but seems not eating in the next day

and for the wafers,i am not sure did they eat it or the guppy did....

how can i make sure their diet is full of nutrients

and i want to know their is some pink spot on the head and some black spot on the body,

are they normal???

#11 Redevilz

Redevilz
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:48 PM

Do you cook the zucchini before you put it in the tank for them? They need it to be softened before eating it, also parboiled pumpkin and blanched spinach is good for them.

My plecos also like sera flora flakes.

#12 BristledOne

BristledOne
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:13 PM

The pink spot on the head, usually one large one is a potential sign of a male (when dealing with albino BN), the black spots on the body could be healed wounds from having three males in the one tank all of a mature age they'll be fighting for dominance.
In one of your pics there is a male with his head out and another with his tail out, the one with the tail out has the type of black spot you're talking about I imagine? if so it's a bruise or healed wound from fighting. 

#13 Graddo

Graddo
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:15 PM

Do you cook the zucchini before you put it in the tank for them? They need it to be softened before eating it, also parboiled pumpkin and blanched spinach is good for them.

I never cook the zucchini before I put it in for my bristlenose. They love it raw too, so I don't reckon it's a necessity.

#14 kkk124

kkk124
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:42 PM

i cooked zucchini in microwave with water for 1 minute,they dont like it,may try in another time

and where you buy the sera flora flakes,from internet?

#15 Graddo

Graddo
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:58 PM

i cooked zucchini in microwave with water for 1 minute,they dont like it,may try in another time
and where you buy the sera flora flakes,from internet?

I'd do the same for a couple of days mate. If they haven't had zucchini before, they probably don't know what their missing. Just replace with fresh zucchini everyday and I reckon they'll soon love it. Recently I acquired some new bristlenose, and it took them a few days before they would even touch it. Now they crave it!

Edited by Graddo, 30 December 2013 - 08:05 PM.

#16 kkk124

kkk124
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:07 PM

The pink spot on the head, usually one large one is a potential sign of a male (when dealing with albino BN), the black spots on the body could be healed wounds from having three males in the one tank all of a mature age they'll be fighting for dominance.
In one of your pics there is a male with his head out and another with his tail out, the one with the tail out has the type of black spot you're talking about I imagine? if so it's a bruise or healed wound from fighting. 

yes,the pic with two catfish is what i am asking,i just worry it will be some kind of illness,so no need to worry with the sign?

and i bought one today with pink spot,male again???

#17 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:01 AM

you got yourself more males :).... brown/black spot on albinos is normally a wound that has healed and isnt an issue.... other than cosmetic....

70 litre tank with your stocking levels will do much better with 25% waterchange twice a week...

#18 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:14 AM

Steam your veggies!!!

If you don't know how to:

How to Traditionally Steam Vegetables

As a general rule, when steaming on the stovetop, you will need a large pot and a steamer basket or collander that will fit inside. Fill the pot with enough water so that is just barely reaches the bottom of the colander or steamer basket. Once the water comes to a boil, add vegetables and place a loose fitting lid on top to cover. If your lid is more fitted over the colander, position it so that one side hangs over the colander just enough to let the steam escape.

I find it THE best way to soften up the Veggies to feed to them. If you time it right you will get veggies that don't break up in the tank and make a mess.
I have used Zucchini, Pumpkin, carrot & peas.

I usually slice the Zucc, Pump & Carrots into 1-2cm thickness, freeze what you don't use into separate bags. (You can buy freezer bags for around $0.50 for 100)

I liked using carrots & pumpkin as it changes the color of the BN's slightly :)

And please.... PLEASE don't put a fork in your veggies and put it in the tank to weigh it down, nothing annoys me more to see a bloody empty fork in someones tank.

If you steam them long enough they will sink on their own.

#19 kkk124

kkk124
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:46 PM

you got yourself more males :).... brown/black spot on albinos is normally a wound that has healed and isnt an issue.... other than cosmetic....

70 litre tank with your stocking levels will do much better with 25% waterchange twice a week...

OMG,do you mean i bought two males again.......need to seek for female again???

and thanks for you advice,will do more waterchange next time

Steam your veggies!!!

If you don't know how to:

How to Traditionally Steam Vegetables

As a general rule, when steaming on the stovetop, you will need a large pot and a steamer basket or collander that will fit inside. Fill the pot with enough water so that is just barely reaches the bottom of the colander or steamer basket. Once the water comes to a boil, add vegetables and place a loose fitting lid on top to cover. If your lid is more fitted over the colander, position it so that one side hangs over the colander just enough to let the steam escape.

I find it THE best way to soften up the Veggies to feed to them. If you time it right you will get veggies that don't break up in the tank and make a mess.
I have used Zucchini, Pumpkin, carrot & peas.

I usually slice the Zucc, Pump & Carrots into 1-2cm thickness, freeze what you don't use into separate bags. (You can buy freezer bags for around $0.50 for 100)

I liked using carrots & pumpkin as it changes the color of the BN's slightly :)

And please.... PLEASE don't put a fork in your veggies and put it in the tank to weigh it down, nothing annoys me more to see a bloody empty fork in someones tank.

If you steam them long enough they will sink on their own.

will try to steam carrot and pumpkin next time, and i did find different to sink the vegie and using a fork.....will try to let them sink by their own next time!!!

• Fox likes this

#20 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:50 AM

i like to feed zucchinni raw and yes az i use a fork to keep it down the bottom :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users