Sump Designs

Sump design

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Pattison

Pattison
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:41 PM

After help on how to design a sump for a 4x2x2 have a tank thats 1220length,380 width and 400 heigh, how should i go about making sections and how many, wanting to keep heater in sump and also have thought about having a section for a grow out/feeder fish section and photos and help would be awesome cheers

#2 chrishaigh82

chrishaigh82
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:38 PM

Well you have approximately 4x2x2 of space to play with underneath :)  If my sums are right the 4x2x2 is 1220x60x60

I like the idea of a grow out tank not necessarily to grow out fry (which you will do in it) but to increase the volume of water you are dealing with in the system, its a cheap way to increase the water volume (but a bit more $$ to run power wise) and if you put a hose with an adjustable tap you can run it off your sump pump.  

In our 8 footer we had a moderate sump (two chambers) and a grow out tank but have moved the grow out tank under the 4 footer and put a bigger sump in the 8 footer (three chambers) and honestly the larger three chamber set up is filtering better and keeping levels stable.  

Under the 4 footer with a two chamber sump and a grow out tank I  took the opportunity to put more media in the system by loading ceramic tubes in the grow out tank to increase the efficiency of the system however the waste produced by the fry may end up blocking up the ceramic media and making them inefficient eventually any hows?  

I think the best set up is where the grow out tank is a clean based tank and is part of the system but overflows into the fine filter material to catch the waste and to have gentle flow not normal tank turn over.  If built in a single sump tank still have the grow out tank as gravity fed back to the fine filter material so you don't funk up your other media but have the level set slightly high for the grow out tank so it flows.

All our LFS will do a great job at helping with the glass for your sump, personally Aquotix have done our three sumped tanks.  

this is our big tank Attached File  Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 9.25.59 pm.png   834.4KB   4 downloads

The smaller tank 4foot with the grow out.

Attached File  Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 9.22.49 pm copy.jpg   88.89KB   3 downloads

Edited by chrishaigh82, 21 April 2017 - 09:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users