Photo

Broke My Eheim...

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 tranced

tranced
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:47 PM

well now, this is probably the last thing you would want to pull off your cannister filter at 10pm monday night wink.gif

here is where that piece SHOULD be, on a perfectly healthy Eheimus cannisterus

not to worry tho! broken is just a temporary place between brand new and DIY'ed! kind of like purgatory, except it has nothing to do with religion whatsoever.

the bad news is that the broken piece is part of the motor assembly/cannister head. doh! you would need to buy a new cannister head, which according to eheim's calculations should cost twice as much as a whole brand new filter. doh again!

luckily the remaining 'stump' has a thread on it, and its a bit too wide to fit the tubing on. so while that might seem to be a bad thing to most people, the DIY'ers know that the more annoying it is to get the b@st@rd on there, the more likely it will actually stay on!!

after a frustrating episode that nearly saw me throw the damn cannister at the wall, i discovered that you can actually force the tubing on there if you make a small cut in it like so

dipping it in hot water helps too. drizzling hot water over it as you slowly force the tube on is also helpful. once you get it on there a bit, you can start turning it while pushing fowards and it will slowly but surely wedge its way onto the stump. once you have gone past where you put the slit on the tube, cut it off straight to stop it slitting anymore.

note that pliers work better the rustier they are!

keep on turning till its well and truly on there!

a stainless steel hose clamp around the neck of it would have been a great addition. im sure i will put one on there someday. but for now, the verdict is all good smile.gif

#2 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:53 PM

Note to others: cutting your hose in that way should only ever be a temporary solution, as the cut may travel upwards and result in a leaking hose.

That's bad luck about that break, something I haven't seen happening before...

#3 tranced

tranced
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:59 AM

QUOTE (tranced @ May 17 2010, 10:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
once you have gone past where you put the slit on the tube, cut it off straight to stop it slitting anymore.

wink.gif

the slit is just a temporary thing to get the hose onto the rather large stump that was left behind. once its on you cut the hose off straight so the split wont travel up the hose anymore.

#4 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:41 AM

Shows I should read more carefully before posting something just before bedtime. Sorry smile.gif

#5 tranced

tranced
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 May 2010 - 01:06 PM

lol thats ok if you could make that mistake then im sure many other people would do it to! thanks for bringing it up so that it could be clarified, last thing i would want is someone to misunderstand my directions and flood their house ohmy.gif

at the time i was spewin that it broke off, but now i kinda like it biggrin.gif it was such a mission to get it on, i know that it aint goin anywhere...

#6 nick05

nick05
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 May 2010 - 01:35 PM

Cool DIY always handy to have on here just in case.
Oh and you should stop biting your nails! lol

#7 (Anthony)

(Anthony)
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:20 PM

Macgyver is at it again lol
man you know how to DIY.
you'll probablly make your own eheim filter next tongue.gif
good job though, how did the head breack off in the first place? must of missed it if you already said.

Anthony,

#8 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:46 PM

Macgyver is at it again lol

You know.... I was thinking the same thing when I was reading it last night..
I wonder if he made his Commodore out of a shopping trolley and a couple of paper clips.

#9 danie1

danie1
  • Validating

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:17 PM

I have done this myself a few time lol

You could try this,,,,, its a reticulation part from the Watershed IIRC screws right on

not much help at 10 o'clock though.

regards Dan

#10 walks

walks
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:33 AM

Probably wouldnt hurt given those pliers a spray with sum Inox, CRC or WD-40 haha
Sean

#11 nvrenuf

nvrenuf
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 October 2010 - 08:34 PM

Nice save mate, good work, I see you had second backup filter running anyway.

time to head to bunnings for some new pliers hey haha

#12 tranced

tranced
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 October 2010 - 05:12 PM

no way man, the rustier your pliers get, the better DIYer you are!! biggrin.gif

this is still going strong, havent bothered to hose clamp it yet either....

#13 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:51 PM

You can actually buy the top part of the head on its own "pump head cover" see the instruction manual or go online to find the part number for your model or go to your favourite LFS for help or you can also remove this part and stick the hose onto the bit inside - the rest of the head still clips on the same without the pump head cover.

The repair jobs I have seen are great if the thread is still intact - but often the whole bit cracks off at the base, so you have no choice but to buy a new cover - and they are not too pricey either...

#14 NathanD

NathanD
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 October 2010 - 04:26 PM

I broke my 2213's pump head cover before. I went to LFS that closest to me and they told me it's cost $70 for the cover. sad.gif
So You're better off spending another $70 to buy a new one or fix it like Tranced did. smile.gif

#15 tranced

tranced
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:07 PM

if that threaded bit had snapped off, i might have been in trouble !!! guess i was lucky lol.

#16 fishking123

fishking123
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 July 2011 - 10:44 AM

hi mate i saw in your pic you had some holy rock where can i get it ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users