Photo

Peacock Setup

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 cichlidsrule

cichlidsrule
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:05 PM

in the near future im looking to setup a 6 foot (not too sure on other dimensions) Malawi peacock tank. im trying to get good looking peacocks with both male and female but i want to keep hybridisation the least chance as possible (seeing as it is a massive problem with peacocks).

ive been searching google and and some books and come up with the following list :

Aulonocara Baenschi "benga"

aulonocara jacobfreibergi "firebird"

Aulonocara maylandi

well thats basiclly all ive got at the moment. if anyone has got any suggestions to add or get rid of it would be much appreciated.

cheers,
Alec.

#2 cichlidsrule

cichlidsrule
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:46 PM

seeing as the list is quite small i might add some haps.

#3 Wet Dreams

Wet Dreams
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:46 PM

Few more to add to ya list and look through:
Albino
Bicolour 500
Red rubin
Marble/OB
Dragon blood
Tangarine

I have most of these in my display tanks and makes for a very bright and colourful display, although alot of people dont like peacocks.
HTH

#4 cichlidsrule

cichlidsrule
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:49 PM

im not a big fan of the albinos. might look further in with the red rubin and the rest on your list.

cheers,
Alec

#5 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:30 PM

if you continue down the peacock route you may want to make it a male only display and not breed any of them.

#6 Fish Antics

Fish Antics

Treasurer / Life Member

• Admin

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:55 AM

i want to keep hybridisation the least chance as possible (seeing as it is a massive problem with peacocks).
For this reason alone My advice: I would say either keep it as a single Peacock species plus other types of fish or Only keep males of each type. The problem is that with most Peacock species the females are all so similar that you will not be able to tell them apart and they will cross.

Tony

#7 cichlidsrule

cichlidsrule
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:59 AM

QUOTE (Fish Antics @ Jun 3 2009, 12:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For this reason alone My advice: I would say either keep it as a single Peacock species plus other types of fish or Only keep males of each type. The problem is that with most Peacock species the females are all so similar that you will not be able to tell them apart and they will cross.

Tony

I Will probably keep an all male display. if I was interested in breeding them after a while I would have other tanks full of the females of 1 species and put the males of there species in there till I get a few mouthfuls.

Thanks for all you replies.

Cheers,
Alec.

#8 cichlidsrule

cichlidsrule
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 June 2009 - 07:57 PM

i seem to have somehow missed the genus of peacock "Lenthrius" whn making my original list. currently looking into them a bit further. does anyone have any experience with the are they availible at any auarium shops in Perth?

current ones im interested in are:

Lethrinops Lethrinus
Lethrinops sp. "mdoka red"
lethrinops microstoma

any help would be apreciated.

cheers,
Alec.

#9 cichlidsrule

cichlidsrule
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:30 PM

also to add to the list is lethrinops furcifer. i saw a pic of this fish and i nearly crapped my pants.

it was this pic, geese this fish is stunning

and two males flaring

and lastly just one of a lethrinops lethrinus

cheers,
Alec.

#10 cichlidsrule

cichlidsrule
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 June 2009 - 10:18 PM

my new updated list for my furure peacock tank now is:

Aulonocara Baenschi "benga"
aulonocara jacobfreibergi "firebird"
Aulonocara maylandi
lethrinops furcifer
lethrinops lethrinus

im going to stick with the original idea for the males and female and the same will aply for the lethrinops.

also with the lethrinops im going to need sand substrate which will be something new but im always willing to try different things.

and lastly just to askone more time , how common are the lethrinops and do any sponsors or other lfs have any in stock or are able to get any?

cheers,
Alec.

#11 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 07 June 2009 - 09:20 AM

QUOTE (cichlidsrule @ Jun 6 2009, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i seem to have somehow missed the genus of peacock "Lenthrius"

Are Lethrinops considered peacocks? I thought that was restricted to Aulonocara species?

They are rare and have a price tag to match. Vebas have a few in stock and Aquotix had some recently. Give them a buzz to verify numbers, species, price etc. Contact info on sponsors page.

Daz smile.gif

#12 cichlidsrule

cichlidsrule
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 June 2009 - 11:28 AM

Cheers Daz.

In my "back to nature guide to Malawi cichlids (2nd edition)" it lists them and the tramitichromis genus also as peackocks.

#13 cichlidsrule

cichlidsrule
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 June 2009 - 06:04 PM

The tank length is slightly larger than my estimate. I just measured it and it is 6.5 feet not 6 feet which is even better. Starting to really love the lethrinops furcifer and still open for other ideas of peacocks which are available at lfs.

Cheers,
Alec.

#14 gibbs

gibbs
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:23 PM

Lethrinops are not apart of the tramitichromis genus, they are a genus all of their own. Very similar looking fish but different families and niether are considered Malawi peacocks, the peacock family consists only of the genus Aulonocara. Information in this hobby gets outdated very fast due to the ever growing number of new species being discovered. May be a good idea to buy Ad Konings "Malawi cichlids in their natural environment" 4th edition.

http://www.cichlid-f...egory.php?cat=3

The link is a good list of peacocks many are available in perth. Welshpool bird and reptile centre on welshpool road has a good number of peacocks including Jacobfreibergi 'undo reef' (lemon jakes). They have them labelled as yellow regal but they are pure undo reef.

I think limiting yourself to just peacocks is unfortunate. Borleyi's, taiwan reef's, electric blue's, phenochilus are all beautiful fish that can be housed with your current list of fish.

Tip for all male hap/peacock tank: Choose species that look dissimilar and have only one male of each species.

Oh i just read you are gonna mix all the species females in together. Good luck with that. Don't distribute the fry. Possible won't find the fish you want like daz said very RARE. Will need a good contact. Hopefully someone with the intent on breeding them safely on there own gets to them first!

#15 cichlidsrule

cichlidsrule
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 June 2009 - 07:39 AM

Cheers your a legend. I meant to say that lethrinops and tramitichromis were different genus I must have misworded that.

Seeing as my list Is so small I might have haps.

Cheers,
Alec.

#16 cichlidsrule

cichlidsrule
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:56 PM

Over the last week ive been changing my mind on what to put into my future 6.5 foot tank and I'm not as interested in a peacock and hap idea anymore. Instead I'm looking into tanganyikan cichlids. I've been researching for quite a bit and I'm very interested in frontosa, in particular the 7 bar kigoma frontosa.

Sorry I kinda wasted everyones time on this thread, I should have mentioned that it was only an idea. Il keep everyone updated if my mind changes again, which I doubt will happen because I can feel the tanganyika bug latching on.

Cheers,
Alec.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users